just curious....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youknow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I dont know a lot about admissions to Med School yet, I'm wondering if I could get your input on my grades. My freshman year was terrible for me ( serious family problems including my Dad's health). I finished the year with a 2.7 GPA!! I am now focused and totally committed to become a doctor and so far this semester I'm getting all A's except a B in Greek Civilization. I was wondering if I kept say a 3.6 or better GPA for the rest of my years in college ( I'm only a sophomore) would I be an automatic toss out in the admissions process???

Members don't see this ad.

while that 2.7 may raise eyebrows it's really good that it was freshmen year. assuming you pull mostly As from now on, it should be ok and you'll have an improvement story to tell.

I agree, you're lucky that it happened freshman year. It will be easier to explain. You will have to do very well during the rest of undergrad to offset the damage done, though. If you're dedicated to making it happen, it will! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't Panic. Try your best to keep up your grades. If your GPA is still bad in your 3rd or 4th year, do a post-bac program or a master's degree. There are remedies. The most important thing is motivation and keep focus on your bigger goal (Become a physician)

I know it's but done before but I just can't resist....

You'd better get that Greek Civ grade up kid, you think med schools look favorably upon that kind of mediocrity?

:clap:

It's all about the upward trend! Try to do really well in the rest of your prereqs, especially orgo. If you get asked about your freshman year grades in an interview later on, you can definitely tell them that you had some family problems (no need to go into detail with interviewers if you don't feel comfortable, but it is a mitigating factor).

Yup, relax. It isn't going to be a problem if you can nail your classes from here on out, get A's and B's and get that cumulative and science GPA up around 3.5 or so...Seriously, my freshman year sucked too but I've put it behind me and am not looking back...and have been getting A's ever since. You can do the same, I promise. :)

Upward trend and continous improvement is what you will need to show the admits that your freshman year was a freak thing an dhasn't happened again.