• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

tussy

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 1999
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
OK, i know you guys in the big trauma centres do these all the time, but up here in Canada there is little penetrating trauma (you've all seen the movie 'bowling for colombine' right??) . This is only the 4th er thoracotomy done here in the last 3 years (even though its a level 1 trauma centre and major referral centre)

So, to set the stage: I"m a PGY3, and just started doing senior call (usually don't do senior call until pgy4 year, but they were short on seniors this year, so i got bumped up). I got the panicked call from the ER at 7 pm - GSW to the chest, 2 minutes out, in cardiac arrest. We decided we would do the thorocotomy. Got the dusty thoracotomy tray off the shelf, donned the gown and gloves and did the deed.

There was a single, small calipre GSW to the R chest, just to the right of the sternum. No obvious exit wound. Did a left anterior thoracotomy - chest full of blood. opened pericardium - full of blood, large hole in RV. Sutured it closed. reached behind and felt another whole posteriorly - couldn't get to it. Extended the incision into the "clam shell" - closed the hole in the posterior heart.

Patient still died.

I'm still shaking. What a rush!!! It's midnight and the ER is now quiet. Gotta go home a try to get a little sleep before it picks up again.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Congrats tussy!

We too get little penetrating trauma, even fewer of those are GSWs requiring thoracotomies. My BF, a resident at another program in town, not a Level I Trauma (like we are), has done several of them. He has the same reaction you seem to: excited, wants to talk about it over and over, etc.

I, OTOH, am dreading my first night of senior call for Trauma. :eek:

About the Ads

Spidey

Leorl's official stalker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2002
Canada
Status (Visible)
Kick as$ Tussy. Gratz on getting bumped to senior a year early btw :)

N

njbmd

Hey tussy,
Congratulations on the field promotion. With the new 80-hour work week restrictions here, second year took on a whole new meaning. There are new jobs added on even now.

Congratulation on the ER thoracotomy too! I haven't done one in the ER but I had to do two in the Cardiovascular ICU. Funny, but it was easier to go back into the chest than to get into the abdomen. Cleaned out the clots and both patients made it. Having a very experienced OR nurse come up to the unit to assist was a dream too!:D It was great fun but I know that shaking feeling after you are done.

njbmd

pjr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 31, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
Status (Visible)
Don't worry, after the first 10 or so, the shaking stops. Remember: you can't make them more dead than they already are. Just make sure not to cross-clamp the esophagus (I nearly did that the first time) -- doesn't do much for the blood pressure.

pete

DoctorDoom

Witch King
15+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2003
Minas Morgul
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I did one on a patient more dead than alive, where my trauma chief figured I couldn't do any damage, and I still was shaking like a leaf afterwards.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.