Just finish DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARE

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took it over at charleston, sc. I thought that the facility is pretty good, and the computer hardware is reasonably new. They ask you to remove everything into the locker even my watch, wallet and pen. They supply a ear mug which is nice. Here is my score:

AA:25
PAT:20
SCI:26

PAT:I also find this section hard, but I thought that the angle on computer is doable. On the angle section, I first identify the smallest angle among the four, with that, you usually can remove 2 choices, then all you need to do is compare 2 other angles to reach answer. The parallel method mention by other SDN member is quite useful when comes to very close angles (look for any parallel line between the legs of 2 angles and stare at them till the answer come out). In the hole punch section, look out for some poor presentation on paper folding.

SCI:I use the kaplan thick review book. OCHEM and GCHEM in kaplan is overkill and their questions are usually harder than the real thing. One of my BIO question is exactly what appear in kaplan sample questions

Members don't see this ad.

OUTSTANDING !!!

Wow, AA = 25 and PAT =20 . Since a large number of students who took the DAT has scored between 17 to 18, a score of 20 in PAT really stands out. You are on your way to your favorite dental school. Make your selection carefully. because if your GPA is 3.3 and with your AA of 25 you can get into any dental school that you like. Don't waste your money on unnecessary application fees.

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: AWESOME JOB!!!!!! I cannot wait to see the 2004 DAT averages---they we be out the roof! I also can't wait to see the SDN 2004 DAT average. GREAT JOB!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The parallel method mention by other SDN member is quite useful when comes to very close angles (look for any parallel line between the legs of 2 angles and stare at them till the answer come out).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad it worked out for ya!!:)

thanks guys, especially rsweeney about the parallel method. I hope other people also use it, because it really works.

great scores! how were you doing on the kaplan and Topscore exams?

I did not use topscore. I was getting 21-22 on kaplan. I am almost certain that everyone will do better on the real DAT than what they get on the kaplan. Just be calm during the real test and you will be fine.
Good luck!

SWEET scores!

Like I've said in previous posts, it seems the averages are going WAY up this year.

I'm thinking the national matriculant average will be a 20, and that the national test-taker average will be an 18.5-19.

Just don't get too caught up in SDN, Gavin ;) This place is far from the national average. I won't mention my stats here, but I'm glad I didn't find SDN until after I'd been admitted, or else I'd have wasted a lot of energy worrying about my chances.

Aphistis is absolutely right. We've seen great scores, but saying that the matriculant average will be 20 is pretty far fetched. There may be 40 people that have posted on here and I tend to believe that the scores posted on here are some of the best that you will see. I got a 20 and I like to believe that I don't have as much to worry about as most. I see people who do amazing and still stress about getting in. It's seriously pathetic. Chalk it up to the high expectations of SDNers. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by NicolasPorter
Aphistis is absolutely right. We've seen great scores, but saying that the matriculant average will be 20 is pretty far fetched. There may be 40 people that have posted on here and I tend to believe that the scores posted on here are some of the best that you will see. I got a 20 and I like to believe that I don't have as much to worry about as most. I see people who do amazing and still stress about getting in. It's seriously pathetic. Chalk it up to the high expectations of SDNers. :rolleyes:

I agree but those high expectations have really propelled some students to excell on the DAT. But yeah, I hear ya, if you don't get a 20, it's not the end of the world especially if your GPA is 3.3 or above.

And there is no need to even debate the averages. We have posted the average DAT of every school from last year's class. The evidence clearly shows that the average DAT for the overwhelming majority is not a 20. The same goes for GPA. The average GPA for dental school is not a 3.5. It's between a 3.3 and 3.4 for most schools.

Also, I wanted those to know that the average GPA and DAT for the Arizona school is now in. It wasn't listed on last year's average stats for the class of 2002. It's average AA is 18 DAT and GPA is 3.3. Those who went on a tour of the school were informed of the entrance stats. Just thought you might want to know.

Just curious...how long did you study? Was the Kaplan book sufficient or did you use other sources? Thanks!

I absolutely agree with the above posts. It is no way that the DAT and GPA go up sky high this year. I know some people study hard and they get 18 or 19. I truly believe these people would get into dental schools. If average DAT = 20 is true, it means many people would get higher than 20. However, as I know DAT 22 is 96.1%, so it is impossible!
For those of you are going to take DAt. Don't feel frustrated. Just aim on at least 18/18 and keep GPA>3.2. Then, I am sure you will be accepted to dental schools. The problem is which one :laugh: you want to go?

what is this angle method that you guys speak of? where you stare at the legs of the angles and try to find parallel lines? I'm not sure what this means, and I often find dat questions where the angles are SOOO close!