Just Finished First Year of Med School - Ask Me Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HinduHammer

Righteous in Wrath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I just finished my first year of medical school at US allopathic school. Currently enjoying sleeping in and reading cracked.com for a few days.

AMA if you'd like!

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey SDN,

I just finished my first year of medical school at US allopathic school. Currently enjoying sleeping in and reading cracked.com for a few days.

AMA if you'd like!

Cheers,
Describe your day to day routine after you adjusted to the workload.

1. What type of curriculum does your med school offer, and how did you feel about it? Would you recommend other schools use a similar style?

2. Compare medical school culture/life to undergrad - are most students coming to school and attending, then going home, treating it more as a job - or is there a significant bonding between students with friendgroups and frequent outings together?

3. What do you wish you had done differently this last year? What would recommend for incoming MS1 to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Describe your day to day routine after you adjusted to the workload.

Every day varied due to numerous factors. Consistent themes for me were: wake up, go to gym before or after lecture/small group, do HW, relax for a bit, study for a few hours. Weekend was more time for studying and chilling.

1. What type of curriculum does your med school offer, and how did you feel about it? Would you recommend other schools use a similar style?

2. Compare medical school culture/life to undergrad - are most students coming to school and attending, then going home, treating it more as a job - or is there a significant bonding between students with friendgroups and frequent outings together?

3. What do you wish you had done differently this last year? What would recommend for incoming MS1 to do?

1. PBL. I liked it. I haven't seen any other style besides PBL, but yes I think I would. The cases and the lectures work together to give me a pretty broad understanding of knowledge. We also don't forget about stuff that we learned early when they keep coming up clinically (anemia, DM/HTN treatments)

2. For me, I noticed that it got cliquey pretty quick. There are class-wide parties, and I think no one has negative wishes for anyone else -- but there is significant $hit-talking and gossip. Academically, I would say there is a plurality of students who simply come to school for required events then leave to go home and study; there is a significant minority that is basically at school all day; then there are a mix -- people like me who decide one day they're going to study on campus, and then another day just go home and take it easy --- cook dinner, watch tv, then do some light studying for a few hours. Of course there is some bonding thru study groups, athletics, clubs, but mostly we are all there to pass and that requires lots of alone-study time.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you had to worry about some of what one might call "busy work", like in undergrad, i.e. homework assignments, lab reports etc., or is it mostly studying, practicals and exams?

Does your program offer early skills training with standardized patients during the first year? If so, any general tips and did you feel as if you learned a lot?

Have a specialty in mind? Anything this past year change your mind?

What were your most and least challenging courses during your first term and why?

Thank you!

Have you had to worry about some of what one might call "busy work", like in undergrad, i.e. homework assignments, lab reports etc., or is it mostly studying, practicals and exams?

Does your program offer early skills training with standardized patients during the first year? If so, any general tips and did you feel as if you learned a lot?

Have a specialty in mind? Anything this past year change your mind?

What were your most and least challenging courses during your first term and why?

Thank you!

1. Yes we had "busy work" for our patient care classes...come up with a script to talk to a woman whose mother has alzheimer's and how you would talk to her about care of the patient....do an epidemiological case study of obesity prevention in rural town, USA.... come up with a script on how would you tell someone she has an aggressive form of breast cancer while using facts from current breast cancer management best practices.... We also had something called learning objectives where we would be responsible for learning a small topic (thrombocytopenia for example), then create a study guide about it, and make a presentation about it to our small group. The benefit of this was that we learned these topics better, the negative being that at times these topics would end up having nothing to do with our curriculum at that point in time. (embryology of the heart during neuro block??) But, its mostly studying for exams, keeping on top of cases and lectures, as well as anatomy and histology studying.

2. I change my mind on specialties daily. I came in thinking ENT, or maybe ortho.... then I was thinking maybe neuro or psychiatry (I love neuro)...but those fields seem bleh at times....now I am strongly considering something in peds... maybe NICU/PICU. Oncology also seems interesting. I've heard though, to pick the thing you'll always be excited about doing...I think I'd always be happy getting to work with kids.

3. The "least challenging" course for me was anatomy, because it was practical and finite. You learn the structures, the neurovasculature, the functions. You spend time with your donor body and then you do anki flashcards. Boom, your'e gonna know it. Endocrinology, immunology, physiology, biochem -- you can learn all that stuff like hte back of your hand and still get tripped up. Why was the ACTH high and cortisol low on low-dose dexa suppression test, but high on high dose dexa suppression test? Oh it was some atypical presentation of askott-waldrich syndrome? (<--this particular ex is inaccurate...but you get the idea). The hardest thing for me was endocrine, because i found it boring. The easiest for me was neuro, because I loved it. Also, histology annoyed me because I had never taken it before and it was hard for me to spend enough time with it to feel like an expert.

Sounds like you're asking the right questions and will do well. Some tips - get BRS biochemistry for biochem, obviously Costanzo for physiology and endocrinology, and blumenthal for neuro. Don't slack on anatomy and histo, because those are easy points.

You're welcome! Glad you had the recognition to say thank you :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just saying hi, and it's good to see you survived the first year. Thanks for returning, "To give back."

You definitely did a good job "herding this cat" @Catalystik . Thank you again for all your support and advice during my pre-med years!!!

1. Yes we had "busy work" for our patient care classes...come up with a script to talk to a woman whose mother has alzheimer's and how you would talk to her about care of the patient....do an epidemiological case study of obesity prevention in rural town, USA.... come up with a script on how would you tell someone she has an aggressive form of breast cancer while using facts from current breast cancer management best practices.... We also had something called learning objectives where we would be responsible for learning a small topic (thrombocytopenia for example), then create a study guide about it, and make a presentation about it to our small group. The benefit of this was that we learned these topics better, the negative being that at times these topics would end up having nothing to do with our curriculum at that point in time. (embryology of the heart during neuro block??) But, its mostly studying for exams, keeping on top of cases and lectures, as well as anatomy and histology studying.

2. I change my mind on specialties daily. I came in thinking ENT, or maybe ortho.... then I was thinking maybe neuro or psychiatry (I love neuro)...but those fields seem bleh at times....now I am strongly considering something in peds... maybe NICU/PICU. Oncology also seems interesting. I've heard though, to pick the thing you'll always be excited about doing...I think I'd always be happy getting to work with kids.

3. The "least challenging" course for me was anatomy, because it was practical and finite. You learn the structures, the neurovasculature, the functions. You spend time with your donor body and then you do anki flashcards. Boom, your'e gonna know it. Endocrinology, immunology, physiology, biochem -- you can learn all that stuff like hte back of your hand and still get tripped up. Why was the ACTH high and cortisol low on low-dose dexa suppression test, but high on high dose dexa suppression test? Oh it was some atypical presentation of askott-waldrich syndrome? (<--this particular ex is inaccurate...but you get the idea). The hardest thing for me was endocrine, because i found it boring. The easiest for me was neuro, because I loved it. Also, histology annoyed me because I had never taken it before and it was hard for me to spend enough time with it to feel like an expert.

Sounds like you're asking the right questions and will do well. Some tips - get BRS biochemistry for biochem, obviously Costanzo for physiology and endocrinology, and blumenthal for neuro. Don't slack on anatomy and histo, because those are easy points.

You're welcome! Glad you had the recognition to say thank you :)
Ah ok, full PBL. Answers my clinical skills question right there. Think I might know where you're at haha!

Thanks for the tips for resources! I feel as if things like anatomy, as you mentioned, will be more straightforward that what I'm predicting to be MCAT questions on crack -- "here's a bunch of numbers and test results, now figure out what's wrong without even seeing a patient" etc.

And, what the heck is "basic life support" (BLS) training? We're being certified apparently during orientation come August, but I can't really find a definition for what that entails.

Thanks, again lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah ok, full PBL. Answers my clinical skills question right there. Think I might know where you're at haha!

Thanks for the tips for resources! I feel as if things like anatomy, as you mentioned, will be more straightforward that what I'm predicting to be MCAT questions on crack -- "here's a bunch of numbers and test results, now figure out what's wrong without even seeing a patient" etc.

And, what the heck is "basic life support" (BLS) training? We're being certified apparently during orientation come August, but I can't really find a definition for what that entails.

Thanks, again lol

After first year, I am still enjoying it and yes I feel like I made the right decision. However, I also definitely feel trapped. At this point, if for some reason I can't finish medicine I'm totally hosed what with the time lost trying to get into med school, the lack of other certifications for employment, and the energy I've drained into this endeavor. I'm honestly just waiting for 3rd year....I'm sick of studying all the time. On break it feels so weird that I have nothing to study to be honest. I picked medicine though not as a "calling" per se, but more of the best of all the options I had to spend the next 30-50 years of my life. I'd probably rather be a National Geographic photographer or international restaurant critic or something, but medicine is awesome and definitely the best of all the options for me.

Reactions: 2 users
How excited are you for MS-2?

Meh, I'm excited, but I'm way more excited for 3rd year and being done with Step 1. I was an average student this year and the prospect of Step 1 studying to do really well in order to keep my options open is scary. 2nd year will be good I"m sure, but I'm ready to be done with the pre-clinical years lol.

Roughly how much did you study in undergrad? How much in med school?

How much leisure time do you have on avg (I know very block dependent, week dependent etc but enough time to maybe hit the gym 1 hr and play pickup ball 1hr daily etc?).

How's the research scene for you and your fellow MS1s?

Roughly how much did you study in undergrad? How much in med school?

How much leisure time do you have on avg (I know very block dependent, week dependent etc but enough time to maybe hit the gym 1 hr and play pickup ball 1hr daily etc?).

How's the research scene for you and your fellow MS1s?
I was a non-traditional applicant, so its hard to say - but I study more in medical school, without a doubt. Before the MCAT I studied for a month straight and that seemed to work well for me. Other than that, definitely more studying in med school. ON a good weekend day I'll get 8 solid hours of studying in; bad weekend day 3-4. Good regular day 4-6, bad regular day 0-2. Regular days also have work that I don't count as studying.

Leisure time on avg --- you'll usually have enough for 2 hrs exercise/day except for test week and the week before, then you'll have maybe 1 hr total for exercise.

Some people in my class go out 2-4X/week all the way thru test week. I like reading and movies more, and both weekend nights I'll stop by like 8-9 usually.

Hey SDN,

AMA if you'd like!

Cheers,
How do you feel about Chris Bucholz? I think he's a genius myself, but I'm also about as crazy as he is.

Meh, I'm excited, but I'm way more excited for 3rd year and being done with Step 1. I was an average student this year and the prospect of Step 1 studying to do really well in order to keep my options open is scary. 2nd year will be good I"m sure, but I'm ready to be done with the pre-clinical years lol.
Yeah I heard 3rd year is just the bomb.com

Getting romantically involved with a classmate. Good or bad idea? This is a situation already unfolding for myself, and am wanting more input.

Getting romantically involved with a classmate. Good or bad idea? This is a situation already unfolding for myself, and am wanting more input.
This would be incredible if it's that girl that rejected your coffee offer after your med school interview

Not OP, but I'll just say- it's the best thing ever or the worst thing ever and never anything in between from what I saw over two years in my school. It'll either make your experience that much more wonderful or burn your life down.

This would be incredible if it's that girl that rejected your coffee offer after your med school interview
Hahahaha she didn't get accepted

At least she knows what getting shot down feels like from the other side now. Okay, that's a little mean.

Not OP, but I'll just say- it's the best thing ever or the worst thing ever and never anything in between from what I saw over two years in my school. It'll either make your experience that much more wonderful or burn your life down.
Yep. That seems to be the general consensus on the street. Unfortunately, I tend to err on the side of extreme caution, even if it causes me pure internal torment.

I'm a masochist going into medicine. So much irony there, it's comical.

Where do you stand on the Kinsey Scale?

any thoughts on P/F vs. grades? What system does your school use?

Yep. That seems to be the general consensus on the street. Unfortunately, I tend to err on the side of extreme caution, even if it causes me pure internal torment.

I'm a masochist going into medicine. So much irony there, it's comical.
That's not ironic at all, that's pretty normal. There's some fields where hating and abusing yourself is practically a requirement (critical care, for instance). I'd go for it if I were you tho.

Last edited:
Is it easy to get to know people even as an introvert?

What are some essentials materials that you needed in medical school? (Like Ipad/surface pro, white boards, certain types of pens etc?)

I have a school-specific question: based on your experience as an M1, do you feel your school adequately gives you opportunities to explore fields other than primary care?

As an in-state applicant this cycle, I am curious as it is a point of major hesitation for me.

How do you feel about Chris Bucholz? I think he's a genius myself, but I'm also about as crazy as he is.

He's no seanbaby ;)

How is dating life at your school/city? How much dating is there within your class versus meeting people outside of school (or perhaps at another school)? What % of people come in already with a S.O.? What % of them seemed to break up or make things work over the first year?

Dating life in alot of ways doesn't change much. If you're a girl and go out, you will get hit on and able to find a dude. If you're a dude, you obv have to put in more work - unless your tradtionally good looking and tall, etc. I go to a big state school. Med school card is worth like a few points, but isn't going to be a game changer if that's what you're thinking. There was some dating, but it didn't end well for most people - esp the dudes. There's at least one med school couple who started during orientation week and are still together and happy.

Alot of ppl already have SO's....I feel like if I had to guess, maybe 75%? If you have more focused questions I can attempt to answer.

Meh, I don't think it matters if you are an adult and can move on quickly. I've seen some bad situations this year though, mostly with the dudes unable to let go when the girl decides to end things. I feel like its easier to just tell yourself you're not going to date anyone in your class. You will have more fun, be better liked, and probably have more friends.

I think it can be good though, you'll get to spend more time together and you won't have the issue of your SO always being pissed at you b.c you have no time for them. That's something I've had issues with this year - new SO wants to spend time together but you have no time to give.

Where do you stand on the Kinsey Scale?

Fairly heterosexual

any thoughts on P/F vs. grades? What system does your school use?

We have true P/F first year, and H/P/F second year. P/F is a god-send. It really is all about all helping each other. Next year I'm not sure how things will be. I would hate to go to a school w/o p/f because the gunners already hang out together and study together even with p/f. I feel like it would be even more terribly with p/f.

Is it easy to get to know people even as an introvert?

No, not really. You will meet people in your small group, and if you're an academic all-star people will ask you questions and invite you to study groups, but in generaly I Feel like its a bit harder to make friends vs undergrad. That being said, I don't think its something you should worry about. If you want to find friends and try to do so, you will find some friends.

What are some essentials materials that you needed in medical school? (Like Ipad/surface pro, white boards, certain types of pens etc?)

Honestly the only thing I really needed was a huge white board and dry erase markers. Anki is gold. I never used my ipad for anatomy even though I thought I would. My buddy loves his surface pro though to draw stuff out, but again, I just use my white board. I have a second monitor also that is portable, which is a god-send.

I have a school-specific question: based on your experience as an M1, do you feel your school adequately gives you opportunities to explore fields other than primary care?

As an in-state applicant this cycle, I am curious as it is a point of major hesitation for me.

Definitely yes. My school emphasizes primary care, but you can do anything you want. If you want to do plastics or some subspecialties that we don't have a home program for, you will obv have to be more proactive. For our required shadowing this year, I worked with an Endocrinologist, an Internal Med doc (primary care), and an ophthalmologist. I also shadowed a couple surgeons in clinic just for fun.

Are you aiming for CC/pulm?
Depends on how beat down I feel after 3rd year. If I'm feeling all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and like I've got 7 more years of training in me, I'll shoot for the pulm/cc route. But if I'm feeling haggard and like I'm sick of medical training and I'm over the whole doctor thing, I'll probably go the psych route. They're the two fields that appeal to me most- I love the patients and the work that you get to do in both, but the pulm/cc path is a much harder life I'd be signing myself up for, both during training and beyond. I'm not young, so I just don't know if I'll be up for that when the time comes.

Depends on how beat down I feel after 3rd year. If I'm feeling all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and like I've got 7 more years of training in me, I'll shoot for the pulm/cc route. But if I'm feeling haggard and like I'm sick of medical training and I'm over the whole doctor thing, I'll probably go the psych route. They're the two fields that appeal to me most- I love the patients and the work that you get to do in both, but the pulm/cc path is a much harder life I'd be signing myself up for, both during training and beyond. I'm not young, so I just don't know if I'll be up for that when the time comes.
What's a few more years if you're already a few hundred years old?! Either way, you'll be gliding through the wards :laugh:

All paranormal humor aside, I think it's fascinating that you're interested in 2 vastly different fields. I'm excited to see where you'll eventually end up.

What's a few more years if you're already a few hundred years old?! Either way, you'll be gliding through the wards :laugh:

All paranormal humor aside, I think it's fascinating that you're interested in 2 vastly different fields. I'm excited to see where you'll eventually end up.
My brain is in love with the ICU, my heart's in love with psych. Life is weird like that.

Definitely yes. My school emphasizes primary care, but you can do anything you want. If you want to do plastics or some subspecialties that we don't have a home program for, you will obv have to be more proactive. For our required shadowing this year, I worked with an Endocrinologist, an Internal Med doc (primary care), and an ophthalmologist. I also shadowed a couple surgeons in clinic just for fun.
You mentioned that your school has a primary care focus, so I'm curious- how much did they push research?

Biggest surprises? Things you thought where going to be a big adjustment that wasn't and vice versa? Expectation going in vs what it end up being like?

How does testing work in your school? In undergrad, you have multiple tests per subject along with miscellaneous other things.
Is it just a final for each subject? How do the labs work as well?

Thanks!

You mentioned that your school has a primary care focus, so I'm curious- how much did they push research?

They don't push it per se, but our new dean's major selling point is to bring research dollars to our school. Basically, we get random emails from PIs who need research help and beyond that we go to various departments and can find research if we want to. It's not that hard. Productive research, otoh, is more difficult but that's how it is as I'm sure you know. I switched from a really productive research project this summer to a retrospective chart study because I wanted more free time to go to the pool for example.

Biggest surprises? Things you thought where going to be a big adjustment that wasn't and vice versa? Expectation going in vs what it end up being like?

Hmm this is a great question! For me, the big adjustment was getting back into a "college life" type routine. It's basically like college round 2 but like supercharged. You study alot more, there is less time, and when people go out they enjoy themselves (Which is different than my undergrad because we went out all the time just to do it). You eat what/when you can, you gym when you can, you laundry when you can....routines can be meaningless. But, people who have SOs have routines and seem to be happy. For me though, I've had alot of fun with friends, dating, etc ... but my weeks before the test were always hell.

I guess I thought our class would not be as cliquey and popularity based. I'm frickin 30 years old and in medical school -- we dissected cadavers and took histories on real patients this year; why do you have to ignore ppl in the hall or only invite certain people to your pregames? It was very surprising at how popularity based things are; and also that the popularity is not just based on how fun you are socially, it is also based on how 'smart' you are.
Like I said before, everyone's "nice" or whatever, but people are cut-throat and can definitely walk all over you if it will benefit them at all.

The other big things....is how hard it is. There is no getting around it. It's frickin' HARD. If anyone tells you its easy, they're lying. If anyone gets over an 80% on a test, they study their asses off don't listen when they tell you they don't study. If people say you can take the first few weeks easy, you can't. If anything, its better to study more the first few weeks than it is when the stress of the last weeks are upon you.

Expectation going in: I will have lots of fun, study a moderate amount, learn amazing things, and really enjoy every day of medical school.

What it ended up being like: I had quite alot of fun, along with quite alot of random dissapointment; I studied a large amount and always worried I wasn't studying enough (and frankly, I wasn't, I barely scraped by a few tests); I did learn amazing things and have forgotten 40% of it, but it is rewarding to come up with a differential for something based on just a patient history and thinking about what I'd examine and what labs I'd order; I definitely did not enjoy every day of medical school. Many times I was lonely, I was often scared, I felt stupid, I felt unliked by certain people (which I am, and which you will be too), I felt uncool, I felt like I was missing out on things academically and socially.... but at the end of the day, I also had some amazing experiences...a decent dating life given I was in med school, I had a job and was able to pay for my housing while surviving M1 year, I have good friends and went on spring break with them, got to work out alot, and heck man, now I'm an M2 and no worse for the wear!

Lesson to impart: Everyone is your friend....except that no one is your friend. Med school is super hard, try to find some time to do the things you like.

How does testing work in your school? In undergrad, you have multiple tests per subject along with miscellaneous other things.
Is it just a final for each subject? How do the labs work as well?
Thanks!

We have a test week at the end of every block with 3-4 examinations including nuts and bolts, clinical reasoning, and patient care/physical exam stuff. I don't really get your question about labs. We have anatomy labs which are integrated into our overall curriculum.

House Baratheon of King's Landing, or House Baratheon of Dragonstone?