Just finished my 2A term and I failed Orgo l

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pabby

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Very recently I decided to pursue a career in dentistry, but unfortunately, I failed my Orgo l class this term (47%). It was the result of a lack of discipline and motivation, but now that I finally have a career path I'm interested in, I was wondering if this failed grade will hinder my chances of being accepted to dental school. I am for sure retaking the course next year and I still have 2.5 years before I finish my undergraduate career in order to elevate my GPA.

Does anyone have any suggestions on studying complex subjects like organic chemistry and will this failure be detrimental to my dental school application? I'm spending this December break learning how to study properly and I am currently reading Make It Stick by Peter C. Brown and I'm confident that I can definitely pull off a high GPA (3.85+) for the next 2.5 years of undergrad.

Thank you and stay safe!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Very recently I decided to pursue a career in dentistry, but unfortunately, I failed my Orgo l class this term (47%). It was the result of a lack of discipline and motivation, but now that I finally have a career path I'm interested in, I was wondering if this failed grade will hinder my chances of being accepted to dental school. I am for sure retaking the course next year and I still have 2.5 years before I finish my undergraduate career in order to elevate my GPA.

Does anyone have any suggestions on studying complex subjects like organic chemistry and will this failure be detrimental to my dental school application? I'm spending this December break learning how to study properly and I am currently reading Make It Stick by Peter C. Brown and I'm confident that I can definitely pull off a high GPA (3.85+) for the next 2.5 years of undergrad.

Thank you and stay safe!
what is your current overall and science gpa?

Due to covid, my grades are a little weird.

First Year - 1st semester -> cGPA: 2.8 sGPA: 2.8
2nd semester -> everything was pass/fail (passed everything), so were spring courses
Second Year - 1st semester -> cGPA 2.5 sGPA: 2.5 (failed orgo this term)

As you can see I have dug myself an extremely deep hole and I'm going to need to put in a lot of effort to dig myself out. But I am determined 😁

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to covid, my grades are a little weird.

First Year - 1st semester -> cGPA: 2.8 sGPA: 2.8
2nd semester -> everything was pass/fail (passed everything), so were spring courses
Second Year - 1st semester -> cGPA 2.5 sGPA: 2.5 (failed orgo this term)

As you can see I have dug myself an extremely deep hole and I'm going to need to put in a lot of effort to dig myself out. But I am determined 😁
That is rough. You will need to put in a lot of effort to re-invent yourself and your study habits, but you will become a better person for it.

Take a look at Cal Newports stuff: Cal Newport - Author of Deep Work, Study Hacks Blog

I love all of his books and they helped me a lot in study habits. Also I really like the book Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink.

If internet stuff is ever a distraction, use the software Freedom to block everything - was a game changer for me. put your phone in another room when studying.

You can absolutely do really well but you need to immediately reverse this trend. Talk to your upperclassmen, and try to make one friend in each class that you quiz each other with. also make a friend a year above and ask them how they managed the classes you will be taking. just my two cents, good luck! you got this.

Reactions: 1 user
That is rough. You will need to put in a lot of effort to re-invent yourself and your study habits, but you will become a better person for it.

Take a look at Cal Newports stuff: Cal Newport - Author of Deep Work, Study Hacks Blog

I love all of his books and they helped me a lot in study habits. Also I really like the book Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink.

If internet stuff is ever a distraction, use the software Freedom to block everything - was a game changer for me. put your phone in another room when studying.

You can absolutely do really well but you need to immediately reverse this trend. Talk to your upperclassmen, and try to make one friend in each class that you quiz each other with. also make a friend a year above and ask them how they managed the classes you will be taking. just my two cents, good luck! you got this.
Thank you for the advice! I've never heard of Cal Newport, but looking at his blog, it seems quite interesting!

Reactions: 1 user