Just found out I'm expecting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpdoc111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And, yes, I'm excited. Thing is, I'm applying for this upcoming cycle, and the baby (if it comes to term) probably won't be due until September, meaning that I'm looking to either get accepted and defer, or end up interviewing while 9 months pregnant (at least I'll be near a hospital) or with baby. Thing is, I haven't gotten any acceptances. My top choice school placed me on their "priority" WL, and I'm WL at two other schools. I have some interviews coming up.

This isn't my first pregnancy. I had a miscarriage in November. My husband and I got married earlier in 2012, and b/c of the pregnancy/marriage/miscarriage, I delayed my applications quite a bit. But we've decided that we are ready to start a family, and apparently it took me no time to get pregnant again.

I'd prefer to be accepted into my top choice and defer (if they were to let me). But I'm debating on canceling my upcoming interviews. I'm exhausted from the pregnancy, and, b/c they're not my top choice, should I bother? After all I may have to go through this application cycle again.

But. I'm so frightened that I may miscarry again, and, not to mention the heartache of that experience, I would be putting off my applications another year.

Any thoughts on my confusing situation?

Members don't see this ad.

First, congratulations on your pregnancy. I think you should consider interviews only at schools that will let you defer to next year class. You will save yourself headaches, money, and will be putting less stress on your body.

Congrats :)

My advice is going to be highly dependent on what kind of support system you have. First, if you have not done so, write an update letter/LOI to the school that placed you on WL. It might not help you but it certainly won't hurt.

If you do not get accepted this cycle, you could always take a year off from applying to avoid interviewing in the fall pregnant/with a newborn. I understand the desire to want to apply/start immediately but in the long run, your family and your sanity mean more than your graduation date. Medical school is not going anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats :)

My advice is going to be highly dependent on what kind of support system you have. First, if you have not done so, write an update letter/LOI to the school that placed you on WL. It might not help you but it certainly won't hurt.

If you do not get accepted this cycle, you could always take a year off from applying to avoid interviewing in the fall pregnant/with a newborn. I understand the desire to want to apply/start immediately but in the long run, your family and your sanity mean more than your graduation date. Medical school is not going anywhere.

Um..wouldn't a LOI when waitlisted and intending to defer be dishonest?

Not if her intent is to matriculate at that school. Even so, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Thank you, ejw! I am trying my best not to have to wait an entire year in between cycles, so I'm doing my best to get in this year, and hopefully defer. I have decided to go ahead and attend my upcoming interviews.

galaxy- I don't think so. after all, I pushed a lot aside for my first pregnancy, and it ended heartbreakingly. I ended up sacrificing a lot of time and energy that should have gone to school, so not pushing forward really hurt me in many ways. I hope this pregnancy lasts to full term, but I hate to sacrifice any potential acceptance, just in case.

First off, congratulations! I hope you have an uneventful, uncomplicated pregnancy and a beautiful healthy baby.

I would agree with people who say you should only appy/continue with schools that permit deferment.

Also, if you do not get it, delay might be wise. If you are exhausted now, in the first trimester of preganancy -- just imagine what it'd be like interviewing in third. I am a guy, but based on my wife and her friends' experiences, third trimester in like finishing marathon with added 100lb lead ball that is sucking the life out of you.

Also, if you get in 9 mon pregnant, are you going to start school immediately, with a 10 mos old on your hands, or you going ot defer?

Personally, I skipped a cycle when we found out she was pregant, so I will not start med school until my youngest is 2, able to fend for himself and requires much less attention. (which later turned out to be a good decision when complications began -- I would never had a chance to go to interviews with her being sick).