Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

just go caribbean the first time?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by 1poq46hrprnpain, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 1poq46hrprnpain

Pre-Medical
    Hello. I am totally new here, and am in a horrible situation. At the begining of this academic year the thought of being a physician was
    clear to me. I've done some shadowing and also volunteer at an adult family home once a week for disabled people, and plan on continuing with it. I am currently a junior, but will graduate as a fith year undergrad. My major is called "B.S in Biochemistry/Cellular and Molecular Biology." I will not apply medical schools until after I graduate. Hence, there will be a one year gap, during which I am even considering doing a good solid SMP (ie Barry, Gtown, etc)
    After high school i went to a community college for a year to get certified as a pharmacy technician. I could have finished it in two quarters but was part time. Then I continued my freshman and sophmore years there, got an associates. I ended up getting accepted to a state university with a 3.1 but ended up with a total of 2.7 my last quarter becaus I totally slacked off.
    I was not pre med at all during these times. I was therefore not really focusing on getting super good grades, but I enjoyed learning, and was happy with B and B- grades and didn't really fret about a C or even C- here or there.
    Plus, I was also working 15-23 hours a week. Now, I just work in the pharmacy during breaks.
    What was i up to in freshman and sophmore years? Well, I just wanted to get a B.S in some biochemistry related degree and work as a resarch associate or the likes...you know have a nice lab job and just be in a lab all day...i wasn't even aiming for graduate school! My CC also had research opportunities that I participated in. I also partied a little to much especially during my last quarter. At one point I was having alot of emotional issues/family problems and ended up with 2 W's in one quarter. I believe my (SCIENCE!) CC classes were still challenging. I already took a year of organic chemistry with all B grades. The exams I took were also much harder than the ones at my university. Almost all questions on the exam were "propose a mechanism," or applying our knowledge to very very new situations using mechanisms that were similar to ones we already learned. They took so much thinking time that they were also scheduled in the evenings. I see the exams at my current school and they consist mosty of "this plus this = what?" questions. I know that CC's may already cary a bad stigma before med school adcoms. At least I'll be at this university for three years total including one summer quarter.
    Anyways, my first junior quarter here went good. Three classes, grades= B, B+, A-, could be better, yes. This past winter quarter sucked. My girlfriend broke up with me, for about two weeks I got into my old senior year of high school habit of smoking out...(pot)....my grades= C, D, B-!!! This is going to raise flags, especially since it is a transition from a CC to a university!!
    /?
    Has anyone ever experienced a change of plans to be a doctor in the middle of undergrad to adcoms? How do they take it?
    I am even considering sometimes just applying to a more well known carib school like SGU in order to marticulate(hopefully....i know SGU is getting somewhat competitive now...not just accepting everyone) upon completion of undergrad -I'll b just a little over 24!!! Sometimes I don't even think an SMP will accept me.

Have not taken MCAT yet. Will take it summer 2008, during which I have all June through Sept to study for it and am determined to kick its ass passed the caribbean islands and back 45 times.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ATP Synthase

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, my advice to you would be to take some more science classes if you can, take the MCAT in April/May, apply to post-bacc and DO programs in June, then appy to the carribeans if you don't get accepted to either. Your still young so do not rush...
    Good Luck!

4. AspiringDoc19

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i would do post bacc (apply to both DO and MD schools offering post baccs) and get those grades up. i personally would rather do DO here in the states rather than go to the caribbean for an MD degree. one of my family friends had worse stats than you and he was able to pull his grades up and get into a DO program.

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm just wondering why anyone would consider going to the caribbean before an osteopathic school....thoughts?

I don't know a lot about caribbean schools, but from what I do know DO schools in the states will likely provide a better education with less obstacles afterwards. threads like this seem about the title, not the education.

6. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

What is your GPA? MCAT? Undergrad school?

24 is not that old at all, most american med schools average age of entry is around 24 or 25.

SGU or DO schools are both good options, though both are still fairly competitive to get into.