Just got a 330 (172) on NBME 1 - should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clemson Doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took NBME 1 and scored a 330 (which equates to a 172 on the real thing). I am disappointed, especially since everyone says NBME 1 is the "easy" one. :oops:

My Step 1 exam is scheduled for three weeks from now. Thus far in my prep, I have listened to the Kaplan DVDs, transferred pertinent info from those into First Aid, and reviewed my annotated First Aid. I have not started doing practice questions yet.

My goal is to be at least in the 220-230 range on the real thing, and I am concerned that I am only at 172 now. I also want enough time to do practice questions. Do you guys think I should consider moving my exam back a couple of weeks?

I'm hoping the practice questions will allow me to increase my knowledge base and thus improve my score...

Members don't see this ad.

that's a pretty big jump for only three weeks if you are shooting for that score. Especially if you have been reviewing for a little bit already like you said with Kaplan DVD's etc. Ultimately up to you, but you would have to bust your butt everyday and I would definitely take another NBME 1/2 through to make sure you are progressing and on target. Definitely not impossible, but gonna take some work.

took the beast today. you can do it! get uslme world and hit 100 questions a day, reviewing all answers. you will be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
haha sdn bull, hit it hard and you will be fine. 3 weeks is a long time

I dunno...the OP wants to make a 50+ point jump in 21 days. If it were me I wouldn't even consider taking only another 3 weeks to prepare.

I can push it to the end of May. That will give me a couple more weeks. If I do that, do you guys think my score goals are more doable?

I purchased USMLERx, but based on SDN's advice I am thinking about getting USMLEWorld instead...

I can push it to the end of May. That will give me a couple more weeks. If I do that, do you guys think my score goals are more doable?

I purchased USMLERx, but based on SDN's advice I am thinking about getting USMLEWorld instead...

Take the extra time (I would). Better safe than sorry, etc.

This is going to sound a little negative, but whatever: Whether or not you're capable of reaching your goal is going to be dependent upon much more than just how hard you work during your boards studying period. Consider how well you did in the first two years of med school and how well you've done on tests in general in the past. If you've done well on all of these things, you will likely do well if you work hard. If you haven't done well on standardized tests and such in the past and haven't worked hard for the past couple years, you should expect similar results here. G'luck.

Take the extra time (I would). Better safe than sorry, etc.

This is going to sound a little negative, but whatever: Whether or not you're capable of reaching your goal is going to be dependent upon much more than just how hard you work during your boards studying period. Consider how well you did in the first two years of med school and how well you've done on tests in general in the past. If you've done well on all of these things, you will likely do well if you work hard. If you haven't done well on standardized tests and such in the past and haven't worked hard for the past couple years, you should expect similar results here. G'luck.

It's not negative. It is a valid point, and I appreciate your objectivism.

With that said, I would like for everyone to be able to tell me that I can do it and that my goal is realistic. Hard work over the next month or so plus good prep materials should certainly allow me to reach my goal. I'm shooting for a solid 230 or so, but not a 260.

P.S. I am definitely pushing it back a couple of weeks, if that makes a difference in the replies from here on...

With that said, I would like for everyone to be able to tell me that I can do it and that my goal is realistic.

Like I said, it depends on what kind of student you've been and how good of an exam taker you are. If you've done well, then yes, it's doable. :thumbup:

I would push it back and get world and work your *** off. A few extra weeks of studying is worth getting into a residency that will have a major effect on the rest of your life.

I would push it back and get world and work your *** off. A few extra weeks of studying is worth getting into a residency that will have a major effect on the rest of your life.

1. Just purchased USMLEWorld.
2. In the process of working my *** off.
3. I'll take NBME 2 in a couple of weeks to see how I am improving (and will certainly let you guys know).

Thanks again for the advice and support, everyone! :thumbup: