Just got an interview at UMDNJ New Jersey Medical and I am from out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#1SDNer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody please share some information about the school, curriculum, neighborhood, descent hotels in the area and so on.

I

Members don't see this ad.

Newark is kinda big and might be hard to navigate especially if you're unfamiliar with the area. I'd suggest booking a hotel close to the school to avoid being lost on interview day. As for the school itself, I liked it when I interviewed and toured there. Although far from glitzy it's very functional and the students there seemed relaxed and happy. The classes are setup in a block system although they are combining classes together to reduce lecture hours. Clinical training is also very good since students rotate through busy hospitals like University, HUMC, etc. Residency matches are good I've heard so I guess it just depends on what the person puts into his education and training. Also, it's close to NYC so there's a plus to the location. A student can find nice neighborhoods to live in outside Newark like Hoboken, Jersey City or East Orange since that seems to be the #1 complaint around here. It's a nice, solid school. Of course I'm in-state so I'm definitely biased.

What is the closest airport to the school? I am trying to book the flight.

MonteeC said:
Newark is kinda big and might be hard to navigate especially if you're unfamiliar with the area. I'd suggest booking a hotel close to the school to avoid being lost on interview day. As for the school itself, I liked it when I interviewed and toured there. Although far from glitzy it's very functional and the students there seemed relaxed and happy. The classes are setup in a block system although they are combining classes together to reduce lecture hours. Clinical training is also very good since students rotate through busy hospitals like University, HUMC, etc. Residency matches are good I've heard so I guess it just depends on what the person puts into his education and training. Also, it's close to NYC so there's a plus to the location. A student can find nice neighborhoods to live in outside Newark like Hoboken, Jersey City or East Orange since that seems to be the #1 complaint around here. It's a nice, solid school. Of course I'm in-state so I'm definitely biased.

Members don't see this ad :)
#1SDNer said:
What is the closest airport to the school? I am trying to book the flight.

Newark airport.

if you got an invitation from the school, i'm pretty sure they have all this information for you. usually they send it through an email or you can find it on the medical school website. if you have an interview there, i'd look at the website anyways so i'm familiar enough with the school to answer the "why umdnj" question.

Mrs. Clark told me she would send me a letter with all the information. I got the invite through phone.

Thank you

lightnk102 said:
if you got an invitation from the school, i'm pretty sure they have all this information for you. usually they send it through an email or you can find it on the medical school website. if you have an interview there, i'd look at the website anyways so i'm familiar enough with the school to answer the "why umdnj" question.