Just got back from.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAF_Dentman

Go!! Get to da choppa!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A meeting with the admissions director at Marquette.

Here are the stats for the 2004-2005 class that he gave us:

Avg. GPA: 3.49
Avg Science GPA: 3.42

DAT: 17.85 AA, 17.15 PAT

Number of applicants: 2,117

I you have any questions, i can answer based on what he told us at the meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

why are they interviewing out of staters this year and do the average stats/number of applicants look to be higher this year?

why is the avg DAT so low...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they tell you if there was a difference between the stats of out-of-staters vs. Wisconsin residents?

Biogirl361 said:
why are they interviewing out of staters this year and do the average stats/number of applicants look to be higher this year?

Actually, they interview out-of-staters every year!

:confused: their website says that interviews aren't a normal part of their application process, and my interview letter says something like due to the large number of qualified applicants this year we have decided to institute a more formal interview process... it sounds like they are doing a lot more interviews this year than before.

Biogirl361 said:

Out of staters will be accepted without an interview, they just reccomend that you come tour the school to get a feel for it. He said he doesnt like people to have to drive or fly across country just to have an hour interview.

Applicants are up this year because of the competitiveness and the new facilities (which look awesome, btw).

dyarhea said:
why is the avg DAT so low...

Because there isnt alot of emphasis on it. He says "its a neccessary evil that everyone has to do" but GPA, EC's, etc. are more indicative of an applicant than DATA scores.

sonrisa dentista said:
Did they tell you if there was a difference between the stats of out-of-staters vs. Wisconsin residents?

Yes, they will accept ONLY 40 out of staters and ONLY 40 in staters, no more no less.

Biogirl361 said:
:confused: their website says that interviews aren't a normal part of their application process, and my interview letter says something like due to the large number of qualified applicants this year we have decided to institute a more formal interview process... it sounds like they are doing a lot more interviews this year than before.

Actually, he told me they were pretty laid-back. Its a one on one interview style. The person will ask the student a few questions for about 25 minutes, then the student will have 5 minutes to ask the person questions. Then they take a tour and then have lunch with the dental students.

OUT OF STATE interviews are not required to be accepted. They just reccomend you to tour the facility and have a chat with the admissions people to get a feel for the school.

JamesD said:

Also he said that the lowest GPA that they reccomend you to have would be at least a low B average.

Oh and another interesting thing he mentioned was that last year's class had more females than males!

It's almost even this year.

Hey JamesD was this tour considered your interview? Are you an out of state applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
JamesD said:

Those numbers definetly are growing, I finished a secondary for them some time ago, but have yet to hear anything. I'll probably give em a jingle one of these days.

Marq is in a damn fine location too. Its beautiful there.

JamesD said:
Actually, he told me they were pretty laid-back. Its a one on one interview style. The person will ask the student a few questions for about 25 minutes, then the student will have 5 minutes to ask the person questions. Then they take a tour and then have lunch with the dental students.

OUT OF STATE interviews are not required to be accepted. They just reccomend you to tour the facility and have a chat with the admissions people to get a feel for the school.

i am from out of state but i got a letter that specifically says that they are having a "more formal interview process for our non resident applicants" to "get a clearer and more substantiative feeling about our out of state prospects before offers of admission are made". it refers to the meeting as an "interview" at least 5 more times in the letter. it just doesn't sound like it is just a recommended tour, it sounds like it is required and all out of staters have to do it. i wish i knew for sure, since i will be traveling 7 hours and missing classes next week to go there! i am so confused! :confused:

Biogirl361 said:
i am from out of state but i got a letter that specifically says that they are having a "more formal interview process for our non resident applicants" to "get a clearer and more substantiative feeling about our out of state prospects before offers of admission are made". it refers to the meeting as an "interview" at least 5 more times in the letter. it just doesn't sound like it is just a recommended tour, it sounds like it is required and all out of staters have to do it. i wish i knew for sure, since i will be traveling 7 hours and missing classes next week to go there! i am so confused! :confused:

Seriously!?! That's messed! He specifically told us that interviews werent mandatory for out of staters to be accepted. Maybe they only choose a certain percentag for interviews.......maybe thats it?

Weird.... i guess you got to interview then.

Derock said:
Hey JamesD was this tour considered your interview? Are you an out of state applicant?

No, i am instate but he came to my school to talk and discuss for like 2 and a half hours. It was very informative. The new sim labs look great.

I turned in my secondary long time ago, but haven't heard $*** yet.

But if we don't get rejections now, isn't that a GOOD sign?

I really can't trust anyone on if out of stater interview is a must or not.
But, it seems this year, as JamesD mentioned, Marquette interviews only few out of staters, maybe those they really want to talk to based on application...???

hope we get in w/o interview...

i will just choose to believe that they make the people they are most serious about come out to interview, so they can try to impress them with the area and facilities!! :D :D
seriously though, i really would be more likely to take a school seriously in my considerations if i had gone out to visit them than if i had never even seen their campus, wouldn't you?

mwsung said:
I turned in my secondary long time ago, but haven't heard $*** yet.

But if we don't get rejections now, isn't that a GOOD sign?

I really can't trust anyone on if out of stater interview is a must or not.
But, it seems this year, as JamesD mentioned, Marquette interviews only few out of staters, maybe those they really want to talk to based on application...???

hope we get in w/o interview...

If you havent got rejected yet, its probably a good sign. Reviewing with some of the other people at the meeting, you can get accepted into Marquette without an interview, although they do do some interviewing. That really confused me because the Director of Admissions said they dont like to give interviews to out of staters because of the time commitment, yet Biogirl has an interview....I would call him if you're worried, his name is Dr. Trecek, although i dont remember his first name.

Basically they have about 2100 applicants, they weed out some based on GPA, which brings them down to about 1600. Then its "who will have the potential to be a great dentist".

So if you havent been rejected, i would imagine that you still have a good chance, although there still is a possibility of denial.....but hope for the best.

Hello everyone, its been awhile since I've been on here...I spent this past summer at Marquette for a summer program that lasted six weeks. When I was there, I met with the admissions director and he told me several interesting things such as that your DAT scores would never keep you from getting accepted at Marquette, and I believe someone asked why they were low in a previous post...All in all it got the impression that taking time to go to the school to meet with the people there and look around goes a long way. I'm an out of state early applicant there and i know that I wouldn't stand a chance if i hadn't had the opportunity to meet some people there.

You were invited to a summer program, and you had 6 weeks to impress them about yourself.

Were you invited, to interview? I would think that since you've already done the summer program, that they would have an idea of what type of student you would be in there program.

don't get me wrong, marquette is a great school, but this whole cloak and dagger thing about interviewing, is kind of insane. Either change there website that states something like WE interview now. How hard is it to get the webmaster to change the statement. While on the subject of lazy webmasters, how bout changing the stats of the school as well. I am sure the GPA and DAT have gone up a little.

I am not starting a bashing marquette thread, I repeat I like Marquette.
Its a good school. If I don't get into my instate school, I would go to marquette in heartbeat.

HD

i have noticed that most d school websites have not been updated since i first started researching schools (almost a year ago) :rolleyes:

I called and spoke with admissions on Friday. They said just because you weren't interviewed doesn't mean that you won't be accepted. They did say they were interviewing some out of state applicants just not all of them.

Wow.....I feel so behind. I just got my secondary like a week ago and I'm having trouble trying to write their essay. I've tried to do some research about the school but I'm not quite sure what to write in the essay. Anyone have any pointers? I have realized that Marquette is very student-oriented (not that no other D-school is) but they cater to the needs of the students, and I like that. I would much rather have that then go to some prestigious d-school that's cut-throat. I would greatly appreciate any help.. thanks.

atw24 said:
I called and spoke with admissions on Friday. They said just because you weren't interviewed doesn't mean that you won't be accepted. They did say they were interviewing some out of state applicants just not all of them.

perhaps they interview out-of-state applicants that are relatively close to wisconsin? im just guessing

Nismoboy said:
Wow.....I feel so behind. I just got my secondary like a week ago and I'm having trouble trying to write their essay. I've tried to do some research about the school but I'm not quite sure what to write in the essay. Anyone have any pointers? I have realized that Marquette is very student-oriented (not that no other D-school is) but they cater to the needs of the students, and I like that. I would much rather have that then go to some prestigious d-school that's cut-throat. I would greatly appreciate any help.. thanks.

Anybody??? :oops:

dyarhea said:
perhaps they interview out-of-state applicants that are relatively close to wisconsin? im just guessing

Nope, I got an invitation and I was coming from San Diego, actually there were people from all different parts of the country. I'm glad that I went so that I could see the school, but it would have been nice for them to be up front with everyone about if it is required.

Hoffa24 said:
it would have been nice for them to be up front with everyone about if it is required.

for real. everyone is so confused, why won't they just make an official statement on their website or in the interview invite letters about who all is required to do an interview and reasoning behind the decision? my best guess at this point is that they might be interviewing people who's secondary essay wasn't convincing enough, since the question of "why do you want to go here" came up several times in various forms during my interview (and they never really seemed convinced). just a wild guess though.