1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Just got DAT scores...what should I do now?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DocAnne, Jul 25, 2011.

1. DocAnne

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    So here is my situation...this is my second time applying to dental school. The first time I took the DAT in August 2009, receiving 16 PAT, 12 QR, 16 OC, 17 GC, 17 Biology, 28 RC. I applied quite late, not getting materials in until the end of September.

This time I have applied early. I sent my AADSAS application in before mid June and have just retaken the DAT today.

I am so disappointed with my PAT score. I got 16 again. The breakdown of my scores this time around were:
    16 PAT
    18 QR
    21 RC
    18 Bio
    19 GC
    18 OC
    18 TS
    19 AA

I feel that this 16 may hinder my chances completely. Since applying the first time, I have made considerable strides to become a better applicant. Whereas I had a 3.3 overall science average in undergrad, I entered a graduate science program to receive 3.67 sci GPA and 3.86 overall GPA.

I have a Biology and English undergraduate degree, and will finish a Masters this December. I worked at a dental office for 2.5 years and am a weekly volunteer at both Special Olympics and in schools as a mentor/tutor.

Given everything, I am not sure what to do at this point. I still owe some supplementary fees...but am not sure if I even have a chance at this point. Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OCDFlosser

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Considering you are a non-traditional applicant, I think you will get AT LEAST a few interviews. The interview will be pretty important; you'll have to defend yourself (considering your DAT didn't improve drastically).
    If I were you, I would pay those extra fees ASAP because that shows you are serious about their school.
    Also, your volunteering, dental experience, and the fact that you have a Masters will significantly increase your chances.

Be confident. Pay the fees. Ace the interview. :thumbup:

P.S. Where are you applying? Because that makes alll the difference.

4. DocAnne

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thank you for your input!

I am applying to:
    Boston U
    Tufts
    Virginia Commonwealth
    UBuffalo
    Temple
    New Jersey
    Meharry
    Lousiville
    Arizona ASDOH ATSU
    U Maryland
    Western U (Cali)
    PITT

I am confident that I would do well in an interview (if given the chance).

I was SOOOOOO disappointed today to see my DAT results. I had really worked hard to improve on how I had done before.

5. OCDFlosser

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Your list is very humble. No ivy league! :laugh:
    I'm familiar with most of the schools you applied to. I put a " :thumbup: " next to the ones I think you'll get interviews for (some I'm not familiar with), assuming of course that your Personal Statement is solid :p .

Don't be too hard on yourself; you're a competitive applicant!

:D

6. BoxerRumble

5+ Year Member

You should add Midwestern AZ and IL to your list. They seem to look for other things about an applicant besides their DAT scores.

7. RunDMD2b

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    All the best OP, I know how it feels having to pay application fees. This is my first time applying and it's financially & emotionally draining.

8. TheRoni

TheRoni Dental school attendee
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would call the schools and see if a 16 on the PAT is a disqualifier. No need to pay more money if a PAT is not good enough...
    You know though, it looks like you are in a better boat than I am! Good luck to you!