Just HOW MUCH community service should we do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

inkysphinx

I have great work, clinical and research experience, and diverse extracurriculars. . .but I am lacking in community service (and I don't think that volunteering in a hospital counts as community service). You know how that was so important when applying to college? Well, will hot having a lot of C.S. hurt my application? Should I get on the ball, like, NOW?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it because you feel that you HAVE to. If you have everything else, there's no reason that this could keep you out of the game. Besides, you'd be doing people a disservice if you did it out of obligation.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by inkysphinx:
•I have great work, clinical and research experience, and diverse extracurriculars. . .but I am lacking in community service (and I don't think that volunteering in a hospital counts as community service). You know how that was so important when applying to college? Well, will hot having a lot of C.S. hurt my application? Should I get on the ball, like, NOW?

Thanks guys!•••••i think volunteering in a hospital can count. if you do volunteer, they tend to let you do other things like watch surgery which is just a big bonus.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean that volunteering at a hospital is not community service? Of course it is. You are donating some of your time in the benefit of the hospital that in turn benefits the community as a whole. Any volunteering I personally consider community service...

community service is not a hidden requirement for med schools.
you just need clinical exposure.
research is a plus too.
so it sounds like you're okay.

good luck!