Just how much weight is given to SMPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are schools that reward reinvention, and I've certainly applied to them. I'm just curious as to how much leverage these programs have in the app cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Welp a poor SMP performance is fatal. So in that sense enormous weight is put on them.

This is all case by case dependent. Certain MD schools will really put weight in them and be willing to overlook a fair amount more of your previous undergrad record than others with a strong SMP showing. Keep in mind you needed a fairly decent MCAT just to get into an SMP to begin with. But your undergrad GPA really matters for answering this question. Someone with a 3.3-3.4 uGPA is going to have more luck with a strong SMP showing than someone with a 3.0uGPA.

Girls don't give any weight to simps and I don't think med schools are any different. What really carries weight if you're a simp is the bling, OP. For med school, be prepared to offer lots and lots of bling, else just take the L.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Girls don't give any weight to simps and I don't think med schools are any different. What really carries weight if you're a simp is the bling, OP. For med school, be prepared to offer lots and lots of bling, else just take the L.

what the hell

Reactions: 5 users
Better than not having them. Performance in PostBacc, of which an SMP would be categorized under, has been found to be of high importance my an AAMC survey of medical school admissions offices, with 127 responding. So generally they are looked upon favorably. Anything more than that would be very school specific
I have 3 years of solid work (65 credits 3.9 undergrad, 4.0SMP, 35 MCAT) but every time I look at my app I just see...2.68sGPA

Hope you're right!

SMPs literally exist for this purpose, so I cannot imagine them being ignored.

Reactions: 2 users