Just in case some haven't seen it yet....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not an American, so I'm not sure how much influence I can have on this, but FYI for others (also, what was that in another thread about there being Republicans on this board? :p Thanks.)

Act Today -- Urge Congress to Override the President’s Veto of H.R. 3043, the NIH Funding Bill

Please Call Now!
APA and its members have acted several times this year to urge Congress to increase funding for NIH. Now we must act to make sure that the increase approved by Congress becomes law. This last advocacy request may be the most important of all. If Congress cannot override the President's veto, funding for all the programs in the bill are subject to renegotiation and, inevitably, NIH's increase would then be eroded.

Yesterday President Bush vetoed H.R. 3043, the bill that will fund the Departments of Labor, Health and Human services, and Education ("the Labor-HHS bill") for the 2008 fiscal year, because the bill is $10 billion more than the spending level he requested. Part of the reason the bill is expensive is that it includes a more generous increase for NIH than the Administration's request. The conference agreement includes $30 billion for NIH in FY 2008, an increase of $1.1 billion (3.8 percent) over the FY 2007 level. The conference number also includes $300 million for the Global HIV/AIDS transfer, as proposed by both the House and Senate, so the adjusted number for NIH is $29.7 billion, a net increase of $899 million (3.1 percent). APA members worked with other science and health advocacy groups to get this increase adopted, and it is strongly in our interest to see that it becomes law.

Please call the offices of your Representative and two Senators by Thursday evening, November 15, 2007, to urge a vote to override the veto of the Labor-HHS bill (for their phone numbers, click on "take action" and then enter your zip code into the "call now" box). Encourage your colleagues to call, as well. You only need to say that you are calling to encourage Congress to protect funding for NIH by overriding the President's veto of the Labor-HHS Appropriations bill, H.R. 3043. Please supply an address and phone number if asked so your representatives can tell you how they voted.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, people being excited over republican-ness! That makes me excited! Even though I don't take a huge stand one way or the other, I do tend to lean towards that side...