Not yet APA Accredited?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epak333

Reaction score
If a school is under review for accreditation, on contingency, should I avoid applying? I'm also not applying until the Fall/Winter so is it possible that it could be accredited by then?

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid applying. You can speak to the program and see how close they are to accreditation (they need to graduate a class before they can be accredited). Not being accredited will cause a lot of licensing issues down the line and you don't want to be there if they are turned down for accreditation. Also, you don't get retroactive status if they are accredited after you graduate. In the end, I would not want to be sitting on that as my only acceptance and having to make a decision. If you don't get into an accredited program on first application year, you can always consider them after they have been accredited later on.

I would avoid applying. You can speak to the program and see how close they are to accreditation (they need to graduate a class before they can be accredited). Not being accredited will cause a lot of licensing issues down the line and you don't want to be there if they are turned down for accreditation. Also, you don't get retroactive status if they are accredited after you graduate. In the end, I would not want to be sitting on that as my only acceptance and having to make a decision. If you don't get into an accredited program on first application year, you can always consider them after they have been accredited later on.

If they are accredited, on contingency, you will count as accredited, unless they do not get it. As far as I know, that status is not given out lightly, so most will go on to get accredited. If it's a university based program, I'd feel much more comfortable, if it's a free standing program, I'd be wary.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know how when you go to a newly opened restaurant, sometimes the service or food is off? Often it’s small things like drinks not getting refilled or entrees coming out at different times.

A new program, even if it will ultimately be accredited, will be more likely to have issues such as subpar APPIC internship match mentoring/advising (since your training director and faculty may not have guided students prior) or have less established connections with local prac sites so students are more likely to have bad training experiences due to less vetting.

In essence, just know that initial cohorts for new programs will serve as guinea pigs as the program develops institutional knowledge and engages in process improvement.

Reactions: 1 users
Got it, I know they're been on contingency for a bit so maybe they are graduating their first class this year. We'll see!

If they are accredited, on contingency, you will count as accredited, unless they do not get it. As far as I know, that status is not given out lightly, so most will go on to get accredited. If it's a university based program, I'd feel much more comfortable, if it's a free standing program, I'd be wary.
Makes sense, I might not even 100% apply but was just curious about it being on contingency.

You know how when you go to a newly opened restaurant, sometimes the service or food is off? Often it’s small things like drinks not getting refilled or entrees coming out at different times.

A new program, even if it will ultimately be accredited, will be more likely to have issues such as subpar APPIC internship match mentoring/advising (since your training director and faculty may not have guided students prior) or have less established connections with local prac sites so students are more likely to have bad training experiences due to less vetting.

In essence, just know that initial cohorts for new programs will serve as guinea pigs as the program develops institutional knowledge and engages in process improvement.
Ahh okay that's a really good analogy! Would it be okay to email and ask when they think they will be officially accredited?

Thank you! The accredited on contingency status was made to stop screwing over students from programs that meet accreditation standards but haven’t yet graduated their first cohort (and yes, I’m still slightly salty over people on SDN mocking me for pointing out that issue like 10 years ago ;) ).

Reactions: 2 users
If a school is under review for accreditation, on contingency, should I avoid applying? I'm also not applying until the Fall/Winter so is it possible that it could be accredited by then?
If you like the program, apply and then weigh your options when you know what they are. Accredited on contingency counts as accredited as long as they get fully accredited after graduating a cohort, and it’s exceeding rare for a program to be accredited on contingency and not do this.

Reactions: 2 users
If you like the program, apply and then weigh your options when you know what they are. Accredited on contingency counts as accredited as long as they get fully accredited after graduating a cohort, and it’s exceeding rare for a program to be accredited on contingency and not do this.
Okay great! Thanks for letting me know :)