Just in case...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What will you do if you don't get in to a school this year?

• Reapply for next year as is

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Attend a post-bac program or earn a master's degree

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Reapply and retake the MCAT in April

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Reapply and retake the MCAT in August

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Take a year or two off to work/volunteer

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Switch to law school instead (you disgust me)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Switch to another career track other than law

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who don't yet have an acceptance in their hand (or even an interview invite), what will you do if you don't get in this year?

Members don't see this ad.

If I don't get in this year, I will probably try to get a job as a tech in the hospital I'm volunteering at right now. Alternatively, I may try to get a job as a lab tech at a university so that I can take a couple post-bacc classes. Dare I even consider retaking the MCAT?! Lots of think about, I guess, but hopefully it'll be a moot point come August for us both! :)

I will definitely just re-apply straight away in June. The difference for me though is that I didn't send in my AAMCAs until October 15th and all of my seondaries at the deadlines, some even not until this past Janurary. I am not an August MCATer or anything, I just procrastinated insanely! Therefore, I blame me on not getting in (if that is the case) on my extreme lateness in a process that is mostly rolling. True, my MCATs could be better but I don't think they're so low to keep me out of all schools. Anyhow, I will just send in everything as is but right away and probably work in my lab for the next year if everywhere rejects me. Let's hope not though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will most likely...

1) Go to grad school (probably the Georgetown SMP)
2) Apply DO for 06
3) Maybe re-apply to the "weaker" MD programs (turned in AMCAS late this year)
4) Maybe retake the MCAT

I applied kinda late 'cuz I took the August MCAT. I'll apply again, probably to some DO schools, too, and take the GRE general and subject tests in chemistry and math. If I don't get in anywhere again (being 37 years old seems to be a HUGE detriment) I'll go for a PhD in theoretical chemistry.

Hey, it's me again. As for myself, I will probably apply again in June, retake the MCAT in August and try to find something interesting and worthwhile to do during the year. It hurt me this past year that I took the August MCAT, and while I did okay, it's looking like I might need higher to compensate for my low GPA. Still, I haven't lost hope yet, it's only early February, there's still time; I just thought that with how neurotic we SDNers are, we should have a little strategy session. :)

:luck: good luck to all of you guys!

I already am earning a Masters, but in a somewhat unrelated field. I finish in May, so entering a Post-bacc or MS program doesn't apply, but Im not really reapplying "as is" either.

I already had a back-up plan in motion before I applied this year, just in case. I reapplied to my undergraduate school to get a second bachelors in Biology. I will graduate May of 06. I am also expanding my volunteer work to include other things besides ER volunteering. I am also going to spend a lot more time writing my statement and secondary essays. Im taking one more shot at MD schools, then if I have to reapply again Ill add DO and international schools.