Just introducing myself :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMomma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I've been reading through these threads for a couple weeks now and I finally decided to post just so I can say I'm not a lurking creep. :) I've found some great advice on this site, and I've let too much get to my head as well, lol. I'm learning to filter what is necessary to remain sane. I'm currently 24, married, and I have a 16 month old daughter. If all goes well I'll be starting medical school when I'm 26. At first, I felt overwhelmed about "wasting time" because I didn't apply immediately after undergrad, but learning more about the posters on this forum has really encouraged me and I hope to join the amazing support network you all have set up.

I am planning to apply in June of 2010, and I've got a lot to accomplish between now and then! I graduated in 2007 with a Biology degree (Chem and Business minors) with an overal GPA of 3.32. I was a division I athletic scholarship award recipient in softball (only stayed on 1 1/2 years because I was constantly injured), and after that I tutored other undergrads in the sciences. I always kind of had going to med school in the back of my head but I hadn't been sure of it until recently. I like to say I put myself through "tests" to make sure I was ready to commit to an all consuming life of medicine. I pursued other interests including working as a baker (I love to bake, the job was fun, but got old fast... ), a stint as a stay-at-home mom (I truly admire all the moms out there who do this for your children and stay sane... it isn't quite right for me), a very short stint in a pharmaceutical packaging facility where I was promised a project manager position if I spent some time in the "lab" (putting labels on bottles, etc ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL day... I didn't last 3 weeks, project manager job would have been boring to me anyway), and last and most repulsive was my 3 month run as a pharmaceutical sales representative (I've got a lot of "ethics" based essays I can take out of this experience, lol), and now I have decided to get into medical school by all means necessary because I can't see myself doing anything else and being happy.

I'm just now filling out the paperwork to get into undergrad classes full-time (please, financial aid, please!), to take the full-year organic chemistry sequence for the first time (took the survey course back in the day), and also lots of upper-level science courses to boost my GPA (I did some calculations... if I take 30 credits and get a 4.0 my GPA will only go up to a 3.45, I guess a little will help, right?). I'm just about to get started as a clinical research volunteer in neurology at a local teaching hospital (SO excited!) and I'm also about to start volunteering within the hospital with some patient contact. I'm trying to plan a good leadership role or two and ACE the MCATS (sooo easy to say... haha), and of course shadow a few physicians in different specialties. I really do want to go the MD route, so I'm going to study for the MCAT like a beast while my toddler sleeps and remind myself that I can sleep when I'm dead!

I'd love to hear thoughts/comments from anyone who has either been in my situation before (success stories to feed my motivation!) or is in a similar situation now. I'm looking forward to future discussions, and best of luck to all the non-trads!

Members don't see this ad.

Best of luck to you!! Just keep your eye on the goal - it sounds like you know what you need to do. And I totally empathize with the "study for the MCAT while the toddler sleeps" part; I did the same thing. And it all worked out fine. You can do this :)

Hello, everyone! I've been reading through these threads for a couple weeks now and I finally decided to post just so I can say I'm not a lurking creep. :) I've found some great advice on this site, and I've let too much get to my head as well, lol. I'm learning to filter what is necessary to remain sane. I'm currently 24, married, and I have a 16 month old daughter. If all goes well I'll be starting medical school when I'm 26. At first, I felt overwhelmed about "wasting time" because I didn't apply immediately after undergrad, but learning more about the posters on this forum has really encouraged me and I hope to join the amazing support network you all have set up.

I am planning to apply in June of 2010, and I've got a lot to accomplish between now and then! I graduated in 2007 with a Biology degree (Chem and Business minors) with an overal GPA of 3.32. I was a division I athletic scholarship award recipient in softball (only stayed on 1 1/2 years because I was constantly injured), and after that I tutored other undergrads in the sciences. I always kind of had going to med school in the back of my head but I hadn't been sure of it until recently. I like to say I put myself through "tests" to make sure I was ready to commit to an all consuming life of medicine. I pursued other interests including working as a baker (I love to bake, the job was fun, but got old fast... ), a stint as a stay-at-home mom (I truly admire all the moms out there who do this for your children and stay sane... it isn't quite right for me), a very short stint in a pharmaceutical packaging facility where I was promised a project manager position if I spent some time in the "lab" (putting labels on bottles, etc ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL day... I didn't last 3 weeks, project manager job would have been boring to me anyway), and last and most repulsive was my 3 month run as a pharmaceutical sales representative (I've got a lot of "ethics" based essays I can take out of this experience, lol), and now I have decided to get into medical school by all means necessary because I can't see myself doing anything else and being happy.

I'm just now filling out the paperwork to get into undergrad classes full-time (please, financial aid, please!), to take the full-year organic chemistry sequence for the first time (took the survey course back in the day), and also lots of upper-level science courses to boost my GPA (I did some calculations... if I take 30 credits and get a 4.0 my GPA will only go up to a 3.45, I guess a little will help, right?). I'm just about to get started as a clinical research volunteer in neurology at a local teaching hospital (SO excited!) and I'm also about to start volunteering within the hospital with some patient contact. I'm trying to plan a good leadership role or two and ACE the MCATS (sooo easy to say... haha), and of course shadow a few physicians in different specialties. I really do want to go the MD route, so I'm going to study for the MCAT like a beast while my toddler sleeps and remind myself that I can sleep when I'm dead!

I'd love to hear thoughts/comments from anyone who has either been in my situation before (success stories to feed my motivation!) or is in a similar situation now. I'm looking forward to future discussions, and best of luck to all the non-trads!

I have no experience in your situation, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to meet you! Good luck. I had to study for the MCAT and apply to medschool with two toddlers only a year apart wanting my attention all the time. It can be done with a good support system. Good luck to you!

PS Just FYI, your undergrad gpa is already fixed unless you are going for a second undergrad degree. Your calculated undergrad gpa will be your previous number from your degree and the gpa for any future work will be calculated seperatly. Don't be discouraged though, an upward trend will show them you mean business.

Nice to meet you! Good luck. I had to study for the MCAT and apply to medschool with two toddlers only a year apart wanting my attention all the time. It can be done with a good support system. Good luck to you!

PS Just FYI, your undergrad gpa is already fixed unless you are going for a second undergrad degree. Your calculated undergrad gpa will be your previous number from your degree and the gpa for any future work will be calculated seperatly. Don't be discouraged though, an upward trend will show them you mean business.

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of that. I will be declaring a major and technically going for another undergrad degree. Will there be a difference in calculating my GPA in regards to actually completing the 2nd degree?

Your experience is encouraging. Two toddlers! And I thought I had my work cut out for me with just one. ;) I see you're at MSU. I went to EMU for undergrad and would LOVE to come back to MI. Now I'm an OOS, so that might be tough. What do you think of your experience so far at State? I would love to go to the new GR campus, I love that area. Thanks for the encouraging words and good luck to you on the rest of your journey!

hey medical momma! i'm a 27 yo father of 2 boys going through the exact same thing...i've designated this year as my "sprucing up" year to retake classes, volunteer, retake MCAT, and do more shadowing. i'm currently in banking admin and finally pursuing that prize!! hang in there and know that there are plenty of us here with you :)

I am a 29 year old, married, father of three (11y/o girl, 4 y/o boy, and 2 y/o boy). I am going back this fall for all the pre-reqs, plus I have to finish my biology degree. I will have a 3.2 or 3.3 overall gpa when I graduate, (like 25 classes from now, and that is if I get all A's) But I am still going to give it my Sundays best.:thumbup:

hey medical momma! I was in the same boat, studying for the MCAT and taking all my prereqs with a toddler. My son was 15 months when I started back to school, 2 when I took the MCAT, and will be 3 (with a brand new baby sister!) when I have my interviews, provided I actually get interviews. :) It isn't the easiest path, but so so worth it! Good luck to you and just remember to work smarter, not harder. Naptime is a mommy's best friend :p

My best advice to you would be to do WELL in your classes, instead of trying to cram them all in at once, unless you are sure you can handle a really heavy courseload. I am a few years older than you so I had this "I'm too old for this" issue and therefore I crammed them in... I ended up with all A's (thank god!), but barely emerged with my sanity intact and I lost A LOT of sleep that particular semester (Anatomy/Lab, Orgo I, Physics II/Lab, Molecular Bio). As for the MCAT, best advice would be to take lots of practice tests, since the main issue is really learning how to take the test. You will already know the information, but you need to be able to apply it in the MCAT format and time limit. And don't let yourself spaz out because of nerves. I know for a fact my PS score would have been at least a point or two higher if I had just chilled out during the test.

FYI your classes WILL count as undergrad GPA, as long as you are not classified as a grad student at your school. It will go on as postbac undergrad work. But also look into how many extra classes you will need for a degree. For me, the difference between a bio degree and just the prereqs I needed was like 3 classes, so I decided to go ahead and do it.

Last edited:
Right, sorry, I just read your post more clearly and saw you already said you were going for an undergrad degree. Just disregard that last part, ok?:p