Just looking for opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDream

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.6 graduated from a US school but am Canadian. It's a BS in Physisican Assistant. I know most of you Canadians dont know what those are, but oyu will soon (in the US they are equivalent to nurse practitioners). Anyways just wondered if I could get opinions on what kind of MCAT do I need to have a shot at any ontario school? I'm planning on taking a few pre reqs like physics and ochem II that i am missing and taking a few more science courses to buff my gpa. I'm applying to both US and Canadian schools, but I would love to goto MAC, UoT, or a close school in the US as both my fiance and family are within this area (buffalo and torotnto). I know that Canadian med schools are really tough, so I was thinking at minimum a 36? Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

A 36 minimum? That's not realistic unless U of T has a bumper crop of applicants. I have no facts to back this up, but I think a 36 min is unrealistic.

A 36 minimum? That's not realistic unless U of T has a bumper crop of applicants. I have no facts to back this up, but I think a 36 min is unrealistic.

really? I had thought that my gpa is too low so I would need to get quite high on the mcat... Hmm. Maybe I am thinking its more competitive than it is?

Members don't see this ad :)
A 36 is a bit unrealistic but you will need to explain your 3.6. In Canada, a good MCAT won't pull up a bad GPA as much as it would in the states. Here MCATs are used more as a flag than anything else.

I think you are mostly fine as long as you don't do terribly in one section. Some schools use the MCAT to weed out applicants I believe...like you must have a 10 or higher in each category etc.