Just looking for some insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina

Surgeon in training...
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!!
I know a lot of people are always asking the same kind of questions...but please... I don't want any hate replies. Just constructive ones, which is why I came here in the first place.

I was just wondering...I have my schedule figured out for next semester, yesterday I stopped and looked at it and these are the classes I am taking: Orgo II + Lab, Physics I (w/o calc) +Lab and Genetics. I just wanted to know if you guys think that's too much...I really want to do well...and I cannot postpone these classes any longer...if I do I will fall behind :(

Please let me know whatcha guys think? OK!?!
Appreciate it!:D

Karina
Child Life Assistant

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's overbooking yourself. It's better to fall behind and end up with a year off than present grades that are not representative of your true abilities because your workload was too high. I found out that if I take more than two major science classes plus lab per semester that everything suffers. Things may differ depending on how "science-minded" you are and how difficult your school is generally. I'd ask some upperclassmen about it also.

hi karina,

i think it's far better to do well and fall a little behind then do not so well and on schedule. you can always make some classes up during summer session. orgo 2 is very demanding time-wise (lots of synthesis) so keep that in mind. physics 1 won't be so bad with it, but adding on genetics is trouble.

jj

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Karina
Hey y'all!!

I was just wondering...I have my schedule figured out for next semester, yesterday I stopped and looked at it and these are the classes I am taking: Orgo II + Lab, Physics I (w/o calc) +Lab and Genetics. I just wanted to know if you guys think that's too much...I really want to do well...and I cannot postpone these classes any longer...if I do I will fall behind :(

B]

Girl, I know exaclty how that is. If you don't take those classes then u will be behind, causing u to do summer school or have to add another sesmester. Next semester I will be trippling up to, orgo II
Physics II
Micro
and some other classes. I'm going to do what I have to do, but it is usually not advised to triple up.

Good luck and never feel bad for asking questions, that's what's SDN is here for!:clap:

Yo, I am taking Organic I lec/lab:eek: , Physics I lec/lab :eek: , Genetics lec/lab:eek: , sociology, and religion. I am telling you not to do this crazy load. I went against my advisor last year when I decided to take this courses. Now I am paying for them because I don't have any time outside school. I mean my social life went from having fun to library 24hrs (I have been having more then one tests almost every week since school started). Next semester I am not going to be making the same mistake, so I am only going to take Org2 lec/lab, Physics 2 lect/lab, history, government. If you want to graduate early then you have no choice but to take 2-3 sciences plus labs (I might grauduate a year early), however I would sufgest for you to take your own time. Good luck, now I have to go study for an Organic lec test and Physics test and Religion test.

Well, also alot depends on other responsibilites. Do you plan on working alot too?? Do you have family responsibilities in addition to school?? You have to look at the whole picture not just how much time you will spend on classes.

That is true what the above poster said. For me to take these classes, I had to quit my job at the hospital and assume school my full time job.

..If I were you i'd reconsider that workload.

I'm going to go against the grain and say you should go for it. I'm assuming you're on a semester (as opposed to a quarter) system so 3 hard classes and 1 or 2 blowoff classes shouldn't be impossible. If you've got a lot of time commitments then you may want to change your schedule or add in summer school. But other than that, I think you can handle it.

Originally posted by vivekap2007
I'm going to go against the grain and say you should go for it. I'm assuming you're on a semester (as opposed to a quarter) system so 3 hard classes and 1 or 2 blowoff classes shouldn't be impossible. If you've got a lot of time commitments then you may want to change your schedule or add in summer school. But other than that, I think you can handle it.

I agree, if its only those three courses I think its very much doable

(Assuming your on a semester system of course)

You really should be able to handle 3 easy classes. The load in med school will be much more difficult. I say go for it.

hey phaedrus, u ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, or Lila? The narrator calls himself Phaedrus after a greek philosopher. Just curious.
jrod

Why do you guys say it is doable in a semester system? What's different/harder about a quarter system?

Originally posted by premedmijo
Why do you guys say it is doable in a semester system? What's different/harder about a quarter system?

You get 15-16 weeks to take those classes in a semester system while in a quarter system you get maybe a third of that time.

Originally posted by latinfridley
hey phaedrus, u ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, or Lila? The narrator calls himself Phaedrus after a greek philosopher. Just curious.
jrod

Yes I have.