Freshman PreMed looking for clinical jobs with some schedule flexibility.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fruitdealers

Reaction score
Will be starting as a freshman in the fall, my classes will run all day Tuesday and Thursday.

Almost every clinical job I can find is full-time, Monday-Friday, usually 8-5:00PM. This is simply impossible with my school schedule yet I can not find anything else.

I currently work retail, which allows for flexibility however no clinical experience and is the most mentally draining thing in my life at the moment.

The pay for scribes I see is always around $8, which is simply too low. And I can not afford to work less than 32 hours a week. Are there any clinical jobs out there that count as experience that would allow for me to not work Tuesdays and Thursday’s and possibly have another day off so I don’t want to die?

Members don't see this ad.

Get an EMT license, you can do 12-24 hour shifts on the weekends only if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I kept hearing about EMT but never looked into it much. I’ll check it out, thank you:
You would have to get trained/certified before working as an EMT - I'd be looking for classes to take at a local community college this summer if you're wanting to jump right in working for your freshman year of college FYI. Hospital or nursing home CNA/PCA or phlebotomist might offer similar hours.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, CNA positions at senior care centers are quite flexible about time worked.

But I want to give some tangential advice:

1) Don't try to do this all your first year. This is a marathon, not a sprint. If you try to fit everything in your first year, the chances of you either crashing and burning or having your grades suffer is significant. It's more important to do well in classes, then work on gaining clinical experience. You can't go back and change your grade in a class, you can take a gap year and get more clinical experience.

2) A minimum of 32 hours of work a week is a LOT, and it is going to be challenging to survive a typical class schedule with that many hours. Remember that you're expected to work at least 2-3 hours out of class for every hour in class. That means that a 15 credit (average) semester is going to be 45+ hours of work between classes and out of class work. And the more you want to focus on getting good grades and really learning the material, the more time that takes. If you need to work 32 hours, then I would strongly suggest starting part time (i.e., a community college) or taking a reduced course load so you can do it successfully.

Reactions: 5 users
In my experience, CNA positions at senior care centers are quite flexible about time worked.

But I want to give some tangential advice:

1) Don't try to do this all your first year. This is a marathon, not a sprint. If you try to fit everything in your first year, the chances of you either crashing and burning or having your grades suffer is significant. It's more important to do well in classes, then work on gaining clinical experience. You can't go back and change your grade in a class, you can take a gap year and get more clinical experience.

2) A minimum of 32 hours of work a week is a LOT, and it is going to be challenging to survive a typical class schedule with that many hours. Remember that you're expected to work at least 2-3 hours out of class for every hour in class. That means that a 15 credit (average) semester is going to be 45+ hours of work between classes and out of class work. And the more you want to focus on getting good grades and really learning the material, the more time that takes. If you need to work 32 hours, then I would strongly suggest starting part time (i.e., a community college) or taking a reduced course load so you can do it successfully.
I might be able to work 24 hours a week and still do alright I’m not entirely positive just yet. But yeah, I tend to kind of box myself in and make myself think that everything has to get done all at once.

I’ve heard from other people to also keep the job that I’m at, drop the hours if I need to and really get into the groove of college, studying, and then gradually add in everything as I settle in. I find it hard to sometimes grasp that this is a 4 year+ process and not everything has to be crammed into one year.