Just Not Motivated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notsureyet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I ve got a problem. I've begin to notice that for a long time, I have not been motivated to become a Physician. I have no other interests, I just dont wanna pursue anything, its not that I am too dumb, I just dont get it nothing appeals to me career wise. I am simply visionless.

What Should I do, Should I continue To Improve My Gardes, Should I JUST withdraw and go jump from a mountain ;p .. ..

Members don't see this ad.

Drop out, get a job making $7.00/hour, and see how long it takes you to get motivated.:smuggrin:

In all seriousness, if you are unsure of pursuing a career in medicine, then it may not be for you. It is a huge commitment in many ways to become a doctor. I am assuming that you are an undergraduate still. It took me several attempts at college and many years to actually finish my degree. I was an equine science and management major, a fine arts major, an English major, thought about nursing and psychology, and ultimately got my BA in biology. There is nothing wrong with being unsure of what you want in life. I just graduated this past August at 28. I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do. It took me a while to figure that out. I was always interested in medicine, but doubted that I would ever be able to get through all the classes that I needed to take to get to this point. But, somewhere along the way, I found myself and gained the confidence to go after my dream.

I don't think you need a mountain. Just take some time off if you need it and figure out what you want from life. There is no rush.:) :luck:

I don’t think you have to be absolutely sure of anything to be a doctor. If you have an interest in helping people and have a passion to learn your in the right business. I can’t pin down what I want to do, I always knew I wanted to be somewhere in the health field explored research, and medicine and figured out medicine was more tolerable for me. It provides a great spectrum of diversity in fields of my interest. If you don’t know what specialty you want that understandable. If you don’t think that you are as competent as anyone else that’s understandable. If you are not sure why you want to be a doctor at all you need to take a year off, perhaps more. (tie a bungee cord to your butt if you jump off the mountain just in case you change your mind half way down ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, just a thought -- you sound as if you might be experiencing depression. It is very common for depressed people to lose interest and motivation for things that previously were important to them. The sad thing is that when this happens due to depression it sometimes takes people a long time to realize it/acknowledge it, and in the meantime years go by and opportunities are squandered. Consider appropriate professional consultation/treatment if there is even a possibility this might be the case.

(tie a bungee cord to your butt if you jump off the mountain just in case you change your mind half way down ;) )

Bring a scissor so that you're still good to go if you don't change your mind :laugh:

I agree with Tired Pigeon, it could be depression. You should take a leave of absence and do something other than school for a while, or major in something fun and take time off after you graduate. You may eventually come back to medicine, you may not. But if you continue taking your pre-med courses and not doing well, it may come back to bite you if you go to med school. Don't feel like you have to continue down the same well-trodden path with the same time table as a traditional pre-med.

Guys, I ve got a problem. I've begin to notice that for a long time, I have not been motivated to become a Physician. I have no other interests, I just dont wanna pursue anything, its not that I am too dumb, I just dont get it nothing appeals to me career wise. I am simply visionless.

What Should I do, Should I continue To Improve My Gardes, Should I JUST withdraw and go jump from a mountain ;p .. ..

I vote for a typing class. If that doesn't work out then the mountain should be looking pretty good by then.

As someone who is actually going through the rigors of med school & thankfully almost done w/ the didactic portion...I would say that you absolutely must be motivated to make it through.

Think about it...You will spend 2 years of your life w/ your head inside a book for a large majority of your time just to pass exam after exam. If this isn't depressing than I don't know what is. I don't question my desire to be a physician b/c I have made it this far. If I didn't absolutely love & know that my career was in medicine, I would be long gone...No doubt about it.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it at all. If you want to develop your desire or see if you have it at all, do some shadowing or volunteering. Everytime I forget what medicine is about, I go to the hospital & that seems to get me excited about what I'm doing. That's what makes me know that I'm in the right profession...

i used to feel the same way sometimes, and i think its just thinking through it that helps out in the end. you've come this far so you arent dumb, but think about why exactly there is a lack of motivation, school is either too hard or too easy perhaps, or maybe youre stuck in a routine that needs to be changed up. for me it was that school was too routine and I wasnt truly learning for the sake of learning anymore, so i started working out and forcing myself to not study for the grades, and i feel like im back on track. hope it helps

You sound like a perfect candidate for law school.

Join the Army! Trust me, they'll make you feel passion again, and realize what's important to you real fast. Plus, you get to do some traveling in the meantime. This may sound like a joke, but I'm not kidding. It makes more sense than pouring TONS of effort, time and money into something just because you haven't yet found anything better.

And if you still want to do the Medicine thing, you have a much better chance of them paying for it and paying you while you go to school.

I have to say that I went through a similar phase because my bachelor's degree did not really correspond with medical career and it kind of took me out of the loop.

But soon as I did my engineering internships, I realized my heart was in medicine. DO NOT let your current let down result in negative grades. Even if you are not motivated, make those A's.

Last: Get yourself involved in EC work that revolves around medicine. Read medical textbooks, read medical journals, or anything to keep yourself immersed in medical topics...heck, I even read books on medical ethics, and cultural aspects.. all because I love every aspects that revolves around medicine.

Join the Army! Trust me, they'll make you feel passion again, and realize what's important to you real fast. ...

Hearing some of the stories from those who've finished basic training, I thought the army will just make you feel PAIN again.

Or, join the marines--they'll make you feel a passion for pain.