FreudianSlippers

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2016
It was NOT a fun test but I killed it (90th percentile). For those wondering I would HIGHLY recommend PsychPrep (I promise i'm not a paid representative lol). From talking to people i've heard AATBS can be overwhelming with the content, which is why I decided to go for Psychprep. It turned out to be perfect.

LadyHalcyon

Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2016
Status
Psychologist
How do you know your percentile?
Congrats OP!! Isn't it a great feeling?!? Technically you don't know your percentile. I actually think it is quite cruel you don't get a breakdown of your scores. Why is that? Every other test I have taken has given me percentiles....

I think the general consensus is a 500=70%, 600=80% and so on.

Not trying to go all conspiracy theory like Modern Psychologist, but does anyone else think it is extremely peculiar you only receive a one page sheet with only your score (and converted NY score)?

OP
F

FreudianSlippers

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2016
I totally misused the word percentile. I meant I scored about 90 percent. As LadyHalcyon said this is just a guesstimate based on my actual score which was around 700. And yes, the 1 page sheet with very anticlimactic.

I feel like I have sooo much more time for life now...it feels amazing!

Reactions: LadyHalcyon

PSYDR

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
I totally misused the word percentile. I meant I scored about 90 percent. As LadyHalcyon said this is just a guesstimate based on my actual score which was around 700. And yes, the 1 page sheet with very anticlimactic.

LadyHalcyon

Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2016
Status
Psychologist
Right? After all the hours spent studying various domains, it would have been nice to get a bit more info! It even says on the piece of paper they won't be sending any additional info about your scores.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
I remember when I passed...I just sat there on my couch just....numb. It had been a long 8yrs,
This sheet has seen better days, but this is what you get. Very anticlimactic. What happened when they used to use snail mail to send the scores? View attachment 257952
Back when I got licensed they sent out a dinky little notice that was barely more noticeable than a postcard.

OP
F

FreudianSlippers

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2016
Now the sad realization hits...I still have to study for and take the CPLEE (for CA licensure) and take 5 online courses. Well, one step at a time I guess.

Although I have to say I am definitely getting somewhat bitter. After a 5 year program and a 1 year postdoc and months of studying for the EPPP there is still MORE! Somebody is making a **** ton of money off these tests and study guides and it aint me haha.

Reactions: PsyDGurl

LadyHalcyon

Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2016
Status
Psychologist
Yup. My program was 6 years (including internship). Have been on postdoc since August, still not able to obtain highest level of Licensure. Yet in California you can become a lawyer without an undergrad degree!
Now the sad realization hits...I still have to study for and take the CPLEE (for CA licensure) and take 5 online courses. Well, one step at a time I guess.

Although I have to say I am definitely getting somewhat bitter. After a 5 year program and a 1 year postdoc and months of studying for the EPPP there is still MORE! Somebody is making a **** ton of money off these tests and study guides and it aint me haha.

Reactions: FreudianSlippers
OP
F

FreudianSlippers

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2016
Yup. My program was 6 years (including internship). Have been on postdoc since August, still not able to obtain highest level of Licensure. Yet in California you can become a lawyer without an undergrad degree!
Yep...I feel you! Sounds like we are in similar places haha. It's funny too because all of this work we are doing is just so we can continue to work! The pot of gold at the end of this rainbow is just more work!

proudvegan

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Psychologist

Yep..... the amount of money Pearson Vue and Asppb made off of me is insane.

hoopdoc

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Psychologist
It was NOT a fun test but I killed it (90th percentile). For those wondering I would HIGHLY recommend PsychPrep (I promise i'm not a paid representative lol). From talking to people i've heard AATBS can be overwhelming with the content, which is why I decided to go for Psychprep. It turned out to be perfect.
How similar were the EPPP test items to psychprep, or was it the test taking strategies they teach?

OP
F

FreudianSlippers

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2016
How similar were the EPPP test items to psychprep, or was it the test taking strategies they teach?
Great question! The questions were pretty damn similar to the Psychprep practice tests. I was able to answer many questions (I'd say about 50%) on the EPPP confidently without guessing thanks to the practice tests and content. That being said there were also many WTF questions that I had never seen before or heard of, but on those I was typically able to narrow it down to 2 choices, sometimes even 1 choice. Psychprep did a great job with both the strategies and content

I will say this. One thing that surprised me was that quite few questions (much more than I expected) I was able to answer just based off my past training/classes/common sense.

LadyHalcyon

Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2016
Status
Psychologist
I thought the questions on the EPPP were much more applied and tapped way more into my clinical knowledge, whereas a big component of studying for the test with the test prep materials (and taking their practice exams) was "unlearning" my clinical knowledge and going against my instincts
Great question! The questions were pretty damn similar to the Psychprep practice tests. I was able to answer many questions (I'd say about 50%) on the EPPP confidently without guessing thanks to the practice tests and content. That being said there were also many WTF questions that I had never seen before or heard of, but on those I was typically able to narrow it down to 2 choices, sometimes even 1 choice. Psychprep did a great job with both the strategies and content

I will say this. One thing that surprised me was that quite few questions (much more than I expected) I was able to answer just based off my past training/classes/common sense.

Apr 30, 2019
Status
Post Doc
Any chance you have your materials and are willing to sell them??