just realized my science GPA is around 3.4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelastpuff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OP, the good news is that you're applying as a NY (U.S) resident and not a Canada resident. By no means do you need a MCAT score of 38. All you need is probably a MCAT score around 32 and you should be fine assuming you play your cards right. You have to have extensive extracurricular activities to strengthen your application.
1) Get clinical experience such as volunteering and shadowing (preferably primary care physicians).
2) Get non-clinical volunteering to show altruism.
3) Get leadership and role-model qualities which can be obtained through tutoring
4) Get research in the hard sciences or medical related fields.

Some schools for you to consider are:what I consider some what OOS friendly mid tier schools:-

SLU
Rosalind & Franklin
EVMS
Drexel (like non-traditionals)
Rush
Tulane
Wake Forest
Albany
Loyola (If you have extensive community service in disadvantaged communities)
Tuft

You should read my MDapplicants profile that provides a lot of details specifically for applicants with lower GPAs. It is very possibly to over come the low GPA stigma but as I indicated before the rest of your application must be very strong.

Although I live in the US , I am a dual citizen with Canada. I did most of my education in Canada so they don't separate out science vs. non-science. I never bothered to do a calculation and since my GPA is mostly the same between years at around 3.45 or so, I just assumed my science would be close. I did my undergrad and gradudate school program at the University of Toronto which is a decent school and somewhat known.

I did a rough calculation by hand and realized my undergrad science GPA is around 3.3968 which I HOPE they around up to 3.4. This is a little disheartening.

I do have an MPH which will likely not matter. I also have had many medical issues including three surgeries which led to WDRs. However, I am not sure that adcoms would or should care.

here's another post about my health http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=884238

I have not written the MCAT and I assume most of you will say get above 38. Is there a more realistic score in store? I was hoping for a 33 and above.

Here are my current listed schools. I am an NY resident at the moment.

My schools of choice at the moment. Please expand if you like

Albany Medical Colege
New York Medical College
All four SUNY schools
Rosalind Franklin

I am not picky nor am I unrealistic. I would love to apply broadly. My only condition is the MD instead of DO. Not because i have anything against DOs but I would like to keep a possibility of returning to Canada at some point.
Looking at AAMC statistics, chances for an acceptance among All Applicants with a cGPA of 3.4 during the past three years:

With MCAT score of 30= 41%
With a 32= 52%
With a 33= 56%
With a 34= 60%
With a 36= 65%
With a 38= 69%.

With a BCPM of ~3.4, unless you have a steep upward grade trend, I'm afraid your odds would be lower, unless you are exmilitary, like flodhi1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I haven't had the privilege to serve. I thought about it but I was discouraged and told I would be ineligible based on my medical condition anyway.

Another point, should I mention my medical illness? I am not trying to win favors but it is a part of who I am and it has naturally affected my ability to do course work. My three surgeries have made life tougher. I might have to mention it anyway since I dropped out a semester due to an emergency procedure.

I have a cGPA of greater than 3.4 but the BCPM is lower. How does one know that lowers the odds? Could you please provide a link to the stats? I In any case, I have to aim for a 32 and greater to have a realistic shot at any school just as flodH1 said.

Looking at AAMC statistics, chances for an acceptance among All Applicants with a cGPA of 3.4 during the past three years:

With MCAT score of 30= 41%
With a 32= 52%
With a 33= 56%
With a 34= 60%
With a 36= 65%
With a 38= 69%.

With a BCPM of ~3.4, unless you have a steep upward grade trend, I'm afraid your odds would be lower, unless you are exmilitary, like flodhi1.

1) Another point, should I mention my medical illness?

2) How does one know that lowers the odds? Could you please provide a link to the stats?
1) It's your choice to mention it or not, but it seems it might be difficult to explain the time away from school otherwise.

2) If you check the AAMC FACTS data, you'll see that the average acceptee BCPM GPA is 3.61 +/-.32. Logically, schools will prefer to see evidence of one's capability with science so as to be reassured an applicant can survive the science heavy curriculum of med school. But even a lower number can be overcome, if one demonstrates recent excellent science grades, as I alluded to in my final comment.

I'm glad this has been called to attention. Most people will have a very hard time getting accepted with subpar stats, the only major exception is exmilitary or some other substantial life experience. Hopefully this is considered more when certain posters offer unrealistically encouraging advice to those with mediocre stats.

I dont think 3.4 is THAT unrealistic/inferior/subpar...I got in with a 3.7cGPA but a 3.4 sGPA....not exmilitary, not URM, not non-trad...

But some fairly terrific ECs, to my recall. :)

I appreciate the advice of this thread. It's not unrealistically encouraging but it's not disastrous either. I have a shot, and as flodh1 told me, I have to be judicious about how I approach the application cycle.

I also didn't mention my ECs

1) Tutoring -- TONS
2) create disease related support group
3) Will probably have 2-3 first author papers
4) MPH -- counts as a decent EC at least right?
5) 3+years of research experience with three different profs
6) TA ship.

I kinda lack doctor shadowing experience because I didn't care much for it. I was a patient a lot, and I know that feeling. I also know the life of doctors having many in the family. I did six weeks overseas after undergrad and found it's not really the same. Just my thoughts.

1) I kinda lack doctor shadowing experience because I didn't care much for it.

I also know the life of doctors having many in the family.

4) MPH -- counts as a decent EC at least right?
Having family who are physicians, it should be easy to set up some formal shadowing time (in the US). If you have some from outside the US, that can be included, but must be supplemented with docs within the system where you plan to train. About 50 hours is the average hours listed. Be sure to include primary care.

4) Yes.

I dont think 3.4 is THAT unrealistic/inferior/subpar...I got in with a 3.7cGPA but a 3.4 sGPA....not exmilitary, not URM, not non-trad...

It's not THAT bad even if he is non URM, not exmilitary, ect.. But it definitely can be an uphill battle without a great MCAT score. All I'm saying is that it's important to paint the OP's chances realistically and all other people seeking advice with lower GPAs that aren't exmilitary or don't have substantial life experiences. You get my point.

All is not lost with your app. I would highly recommend taking some post-bacc science classes. My sGPA was a 3.35 when I graduated, and I eventually upped it to a 3.47 over 1.5 years of non-degree seeking post-bacc classes. While a 38 is certainly not a necessity (any score above threshold of 31-32 is acceptable I imagine), the better you do, the greater your chances of getting in :luck:

I think a decent score would be a 33. I think a 3.4/ 33 with strong extracurricular activities will get you more than a couple interviews. Don't get discouraged by some of the people on SDN. God forbid you don't have a 4.0 / 45 then they will chew you up :laugh:. At this point put all your focus on the mcat and extracurriculars. Apply early and broadly too! :luck:

I think a decent score would be a 33. I think a 3.4/ 33 with strong extracurricular activities will get you more than a couple interviews. Don't get discouraged by some of the people on SDN. God forbid you don't have a 4.0 / 45 then they will chew you up :laugh:. At this point put all your focus on the mcat and extracurriculars. Apply early and broadly too! :luck:

Thank you everybody! I have been working on getting my clinical experiences up. I have also decided to increase my grades by taking more science related courses.

I have one question. Assuming I get a >32 MCAt and a 3.4 GPA, would I have a shot at any of the SUNY schools?