WAMC- 3.4 GPA, Focusing DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Combatman

Reaction score
Already applied without knowing my MCAT score, but applied to 20 DOs broadly across the East Coast to the middle U.S. Here is my background (Still have MD applications open but plan to withdraw more than likely):

1. cGPA: 3.38, sGPA: 3.11
2. MCAT: 501, 123/126/125/127 (Previous scores: 496,498,498)
3. I am from NY
4. ORM, SES, First-generation college student
5. T50 Undergrad
6. 1100 hours as a CNA, 250 hours in hospitality at a hospital, 200 hours as a volunteer EMT, 30 hours COVID testing for my university
7. 2800 hours of clinical research at a T10 MD school, 40 hours of non-lab research (survey-based)
8. 30 hours shadowing, 15 with an orthopedic surgeon, 15 with a dermatologist
9. 100 hours volunteering with Special Olympics (leadership in the program)
10. 1200 hours starting my own sports media organization, 350 hours working for a sports memorabilia company working with professional athletes, 500 hours as a waiter, 1000 hours recreation basketball (started a league in my town), 640 hours as a head camp counselor, 1000 hours working for my family business

Other information to know:

- My hours are extensive but for basketball and my family business for example I started them at 14 years old.

Very important to my story:

-I grew up in a single-parent household below the poverty line and I was evicted from my childhood home. Present day we live much better off, but I have that experience to tell in my writing.

-My GPA per year breaks down to: 3.69. 3.43, 2.95, 3.50

In my junior year of college, my mother got cancer in the midst of COVID and I started working full-time on top of school. I also became primary caretaker of my sister during this time so academics fell into the background, as reflected in my GPA that year.

Edit: Letters of rec include: My school's pre-med committee, a priest who was also my professor at school, my O-chem professor, and the orthopedic surgeon I shadowed.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your school list? Have you gotten any feedback?

What did you mention in Other Impactful Experiences?
I am currently still submitting secondaries as I have waited for my new MCAT score. No feedback thus far.

In other impactful experiences, I highlighted that I was first-gen, SES, and from a medically underserved area. However, my main focus was the year my mother had cancer to explain the sudden drop in GPA.

Some schools I applied to:

UNECOM
NYITCOM
PCOM
RVUCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
MWUSOM
LECOM
Burrell
Touro COM
ROWANSOM

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a compelling story, and it shows you are a hard worker and can adapt to adversity.Your MCAT performance as you know, isn't helping you. Many schools will average them. I think I would try to emphasize how you will give your full attention to med school and not get caught up in working or being a full time caregiver. No sense in working to get accepted and not being able to graduate because you have other responsibilities causing you to underperform. Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a compelling story, and it shows you are a hard worker and can adapt to adversity.Your MCAT performance as you know, isn't helping you. Many schools will average them. I think I would try to emphasize how you will give your full attention to med school and not get caught up in working or being a full time caregiver. No sense in working to get accepted and not being able to graduate because you have other responsibilities causing you to underperform. Good luck and best wishes.
I apologize, that I did not write my story in its completion After my junior year, my mother recovered and I bounced back academically, however, the lack of time I had for academics at that period hurt my MCAT performance as I took many of the courses that helped cover what is on the exam. I have tried to with each exam improve on what I am missing. That being said I believe that with another attempt, and my final, I can achieve a great score. However, financially it hurts to apply again. I just want to be a physician, it is my dream and I will not stop until I achieve it.

Last edited: