Just received new book "Get Into Vet. School"

Started by dpcdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dpcdoc

VMRCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received and finished reading the new book by Joseph Piekunka "Get Into Veterinary School: Insights by an Admissions Expert. If you have read this forum for any length of time, you will be extremely dissapointed with the book. There are no great revelations and all the most common mistakes on applications Mr. Piekunka claims to help the reader avoid, are all common sense. As an older non-traditional student, applying for the first time this year, I thought this book would offer some additional insight into the application process and selection of the incoming class. It did not. While reading this book, it seemed as if the work was only a lengthy advertisement for the author's advising service Prevetadvising.com, which he touts quite liberally throughout the text. I just wanted to give my 2 cents, if someone didn't know this forum existed the work would provide some insight. The book is rather short with large type and the last third is nothing but listings of all the schools and veterinary organizations that exist. Don't waste your money.
 
Damn. I ordered it last weekend but it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully I can return it when it comes...thanks for the heads up! :0)
 
I recently bought that book as well, and it did seem geared towards 13 year olds interested in becoming a vet, as opposed to college students or non-traditionals, like myself. I thought some of the information was helpful, but I think this site is by far more informative than the book.

The author states that going to school part time is a sure way to be rejected. And that standard 4 year college courses are a better route than community college classes. Do you all agree? From previous posts, it seems that there are many non traditionals who managed courses part time, and took classes at community colleges. I'm nervous what I should do next...I want to go back for all my pre-reqs, but I'm afraid I'll have to go full-time in order to have a fair chance at getting in. I haven't been to school in 4 years, so I'm thinking taking even 2 classes while working could be very risky.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spoke with Ms. Joyce Massie, the Admissions Coordinator at Virginia Tech. During an admissions counseling session and was told it did not matter where you took your classes. The most important thing was your grades. As far as the part-time vs. full time I was a little discouraged after reading that part of the book. Schools must have to take into consideration older students responsibilities to work, children and in my case, military obligations such as deployments etc... I guess I will see this fall. Best wishes and good luck.
 
I spoke with Ms. Joyce Massie, the Admissions Coordinator at Virginia Tech. During an admissions counseling session and was told it did not matter where you took your classes. The most important thing was your grades. As far as the part-time vs. full time I was a little discouraged after reading that part of the book. Schools must have to take into consideration older students responsibilities to work, children and in my case, military obligations such as deployments etc... I guess I will see this fall. Best wishes and good luck.

i think most schools DO take that into account. its really only a problem if you're 21 like me and have no husband/family...i don't have a legitimate excuse to take part-time classes, of course i should be a full time student.
 
I think it also depends on the college. It is my understanding that he only worked on an adcomm for Cornell, and they are probably more strict aout things like that.
 
I spoke with Ms. Joyce Massie, the Admissions Coordinator at Virginia Tech. During an admissions counseling session and was told it did not matter where you took your classes. The most important thing was your grades. As far as the part-time vs. full time I was a little discouraged after reading that part of the book. Schools must have to take into consideration older students responsibilities to work, children and in my case, military obligations such as deployments etc... I guess I will see this fall. Best wishes and good luck.

indeed schools do consider older students' responsibilities - and nontrads out there, don't buy you have to do your prereqs at a 4-year crap. i'm 32, worked two jobs and went to whatever school i could to get my prereqs, most of them at the cc. granted i was rejected (along with 700 others) from cornell where this guy is from, but i did get into davis (as an out of stater), colorado's dvm/phd program, and washington state. just be extremely focused on what your goals are and why -- and as an older student i'm sure you already have. good luck! :luck:
 
thanks, wildfocus. good to know. when i read that piece, my heart dropped a bit, but wasn't sure since i've been reading the postings here. i had a plan set, and i thought i might need to re-think my options....very glad to hear that i don't....
 
As a non-trad who was accepted to 2 of the 5 schools I applied to, I will say that I never found one central source of information that was geared towards non-trads, and the most helpful (and most reliable) information I got came directly from admissions directors of schools I was interested in.

Policies seem to vary widely school-to-school. Prior to applying, I was able to meet with admissions directors for 3 of the 5 I eventually applied to. The Cornell admissions folks I met with did not seem at all interested in my non-trad background and, although it wasn't stated out-right, I was left with the distinct impression that my non-trad background would be a detriment, not an asset. But I got much different information from both Tufts and Minnesota. Their admissions folks seemed to embrace non-trad students and spoke at length about the diversity and perspective that their non-trad students add to each year's class and to the profession. And those were the two schools that accepted me.

In my experience, these issues seem to vary school-to-school, and the schools themselves are the best source of information.
 
I have to agree that this book seems geared towards high school students or students very early in their undergrad. It should be marketed to high school guidance counselors.

I can't really go back and re-do my undergrad or go to a different undergrad school, so a lot of his advice was really not helpful and a little discouraging. I'm sure most non-traditionals would feel the same way. I was hoping for some extra insight into admissions at Cornell since that is my in state school, but I sure didn't get any.

The book can basically be summarized into get excellent grades, do well on the GRE, get enough varied vet experience and get good references.

Gee, thanks - I'm glad I spent $20 for advice I could have gotten for free from any number of sources!