Just scored 272 on Step 1...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Split Infinity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the moment, I am still too in shock to write a ton. But, I want to pay this forward and be of help to anyone still studying, so if people want, I will continually update this post in the upcoming days to include details of my studying, strategies, etc.

To begin, a disclaimer: our school has us take Step 1 after our major clinical year (i.e., halfhway through MS3, as we have 1.5 years preclinical), which I feel puts us at a big advantage in terms of already being very familiar with NBME question style (having already prepared for and taken a year's worth of Shelf exams).

In brief, I had a 6 week dedicated study period after clerkship year, in which I did all of UW and about half of the Kaplan QBanks, both UWorld mock exams, First Aid, Pathoma, a smattering of Sketchy Micro, most of Brosencephalon's Anki deck, and NBMEs 15-18.

I was dealing with some life issues while in that 6 week period so I didn't actually have a pristine study schedule, but in general I just prioritized quizzing myself as much as possible - e.g., covering up a table in First Aid and asking myself what would be in each block before even looking at it the first time, asking myself why each incorrect answer choice in UW was wrong before looking at the explanations, etc. In addition, I did UW entirely on untimed tutor - I tried to focus on making sure I was learning from every single question rather than constantly timing myself, though I took the NBMEs and UW practice exams with realistic time constraints.

That said, I have never been one to take a long time on exams (and finished each block on test day with > 20 minutes remaining), so this may not be the most appropriate strategy for those who have issues with finishing in time -- though I would still recommend focusing on identifying specific facts from each explanation and quizzing myself on them. It can be easy to lapse into passive studying when reading through the reams of text on UW question explanations or just skimming through FA, but I have a feeling my success on the exam owed in large part to having tested myself in so many small ways all throughout my study period.

Re: NBMEs and UW practice tests, I was really nervous/afraid of how I would do, so I (probably foolishly) didn't take one until 12 days before the exam. But for those who are interested:
  • UW %: 94
  • UW Form 1: 282 (which I think must be a gross overestimate comparing the # incorrect from UW to NBME), 12 days out
  • NBME 15: 262, 11 days out
  • NBME 16: 277, 9 days out
  • UW Form 2: 269, 7 days out
  • NBME 17: 280, 6 days out
  • NBME 18: 280, 4 days out
  • Step 1: 272 (image attached just because this is the internet and it's nice to have proof people aren't just blowing hot air)
I am sorry if this comes across as braggy - that's really not my intent (and I am not interested in revealing personally identifying information, because everyone at my school is getting their results around now, and I do NOT want to shove this in anyone's face). Instead, I know how stress-inducing this exam is for everyone who takes it, and want to be a resource to those who would like advice. Feel free to post here or send me a private message!

PS - a note on wellness - I took 45 minutes to 1.5 hours every day during my dedicated study time to exercise, stretch, do yoga, take a walk outside, whatever...I think I would have burned out and done more poorly if I hadn't made that a priority, even on the days I hadn't done as much UW, FA, or whatever else as I had hoped.

Edits: summary of the smatterings of advice I have given either in replies or in PMs:
  • Know what you do and do not know going into your dedicated study time - personally I knew the biochem, micro, immunology, anatomy, and embryology were (a) not taught well at my school and (b) much farther from me in chronologic terms (i.e., learning Micro for the first time in September '14 and taking the exam in February '17.) Once you know what you're weak on (either from preliminary QBank results or just your own intuition, don't feel so chained to the notion that you have to "get through" everything in equal proportions, but instead repeat the subjects you're unfamiliar with early and often throughout your studying period.
  • Re: efficiency, I would say the most important thing is to focus on actually learning from a resource rather than just trying to force yourself to get through it to feel like you've accomplished your study task for the day. I always pushed back plans for how much I would cover when I knew I couldn't cover it all and actually understand and retain the material. Do not fall into the trap of buying more and more materials just to say you made it through them all - it would serve you much better to know UW, FA, and Pathoma cold than to "just get through" Kaplan, UW, FA, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro, Picmonic, BRS Physiology, etc. etc.
  • As much as possible, use UW as an excuse to do forced recall of topics you've studied on previous days in First Aid - so let's say you looked over the mechanisms and indications and side effects for diuretics 2 days ago and ostensibly memorized them - so then when you get a question on where the thiazide diuretic acts, this is your excuse to force yourself to recall where loop (and osmotic, and K-sparing, blah blah diuretics work in addition to their side effects and indications). In generally, the more mentally taxing something is, the more frustrating it is to study, but the more likely you are to retain it.
  • When you are reading questions, try to ask yourself "what unambiguous entity is this question trying to get me to identify?" Because remember that for whatever question, the answer must be universally agreed upon by a panel of experts (unlike many med school exams that try to trick you up). So, particularly for the questions that are more than just rote memory (what cell secretes IFN-gamma?) try to look for patterns instead of taking each detail as a separate data point. For instance, when you hear diabetes, HTN, HLD, and smoking, you should be thinking "what are they about to ask me about atherosclerotic vascular disease, from CAD to cerebrovascular disease to mesenteric ischemia to peripheral vascular disease to renovascular hypertension 2/2 bilateral renal artery stenosis" before even looking at the answer choices.
    • Similarly, when reading a stem on, say, cirrhosis, you should start to bring to mind all the etiologies you can think of (alcohol, hepatitis B and C, autoimmune hepatitis, Wilson's disease, A1AT deficiency, hemochromatosis) and begin thinking of how examiners could unambiguously identify one of these for you - neuropsychiatric manifestations with Kayser-Fleischer rings for Wilson's, early-onset emphysema for A1AT, bronze diabetes, cardiomyopathy, and arthralgias for hemochromatosis, Wernicke-Korsakoff, aspiration pneumonia, and macrocytic anemia for EtOH, and history of immigration from an endemic region vs. IVDU for Hep B/C...and THEN you should start thinking about how you could test for each of those things, AND the underlying pathophysiology of each.
    • The key is making connections as often as possible so that each question becomes a mini-review of every possible topic. Once these webs start to interconnect in your brain, "retention" will become less rote and more facile because your brain remembers why one factoid is relevant in distinguishing one disease entity from another and in allowing you to corral your knowledge base into more organized chunks.
Since someone asked about other stats:
  • MCAT 39T (14 PS / 10 Verbal / 15 BS / T writing)
  • UG GPA 4.0 (BS Biochemistry)
  • Pre-clinical - P/F, but >90% on every block
  • Clinical - H in every clerkship

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_9375.JPG
    IMG_9375.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,780
Last edited:
Reactions: 53 users
Great job. Did you use the Brosencephalon deck throughout school or just during your dedicated time? Did you get through it completely? How many Qbank questions were you doing per day on average?

Since Step 1 always seemed so far away when I was a preclinical, I didn't even really start looking for resources until a month or so before my dedicated study time, particularly because clerkship year is so all-consuming to begin with. I didn't get through the entirety of his deck, but I didn't want to - I knew that I knew clinical presentations/physiology/pathophys/pharmacology super well after having just re-learned it all the way throughout the past year, so I triaged and used it to beat micro, immuno, biochem, and the more basic rote memory stuff into my head.

QBank varied widely. Some days I ended up having to take totally off, some days I would get through >120. Average ~75-80.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your main pathology resource? Goljan, pathoma, FA?
combo of Pathoma (mainly just reading the book), FA, google images, an Anki deck called Pathomaology 2014 (I forget exactly where I acquired it, but it was basically just Pathoma in flashcard form), and UW path questions (obviously). I don't learn that well from lectures (too passive) so the Goljan audio wasn't my jam

I mean it started in the low 80s and gradually climbed. It really helped having already done the entire Step 2 QBank throughout clerkship year (as UW has topics it really loves).
How did you manage to memorize without forgetting? I can completely understand something and then forget it within two weeks...

How did you manage to memorize without forgetting? I can completely understand something and then forget it within two weeks...

I think that's what makes Anki such an efficient resource for board prep. Spaced repetition is the only true way to "never forget" the immense material.

Reactions: 1 user
braggy? hell no. You delivered and you're sharing your story with us. In my book, you're a winner.

Congrats brah!!!

P.S. my method is nearly identical to yours. it's so efficient but requires a lot of motivation and discipline.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats bro!

How did you feel during the test itself? Did you walk out thinking 272 was feasible? And (I know this is probably a ridiculous unanswerable question) how many overall/per block did you feel like you had missed when you walked out?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the moment, I am still too in shock to write a ton. But, I want to pay this forward and be of help to anyone still studying, so if people want, I will continually update this post in the upcoming days to include details of my studying, strategies, etc.

To begin, a disclaimer: our school has us take Step 1 after our major clinical year (i.e., halfhway through MS3, as we have 1.5 years preclinical), which I feel puts us at a big advantage in terms of already being very familiar with NBME question style (having already prepared for and taken a year's worth of Shelf exams).

In brief, I had a 6 week dedicated study period after clerkship year, in which I did all of UW and about half of the Kaplan QBanks, both UWorld mock exams, First Aid, Pathoma, a smattering of Sketchy Micro, most of Brosencephalon's Anki deck, and NBMEs 15-18.

I was dealing with some life issues while in that 6 week period so I didn't actually have a pristine study schedule, but in general I just prioritized quizzing myself as much as possible - e.g., covering up a table in First Aid and asking myself what would be in each block before even looking at it the first time, asking myself why each incorrect answer choice in UW was wrong before looking at the explanations, etc. In addition, I did UW entirely on untimed tutor - I tried to focus on making sure I was learning from every single question rather than constantly timing myself, though I took the NBMEs and UW practice exams with realistic time constraints.

That said, I have never been one to take a long time on exams (and finished each block on test day with > 20 minutes remaining), so this may not be the most appropriate strategy for those who have issues with finishing in time -- though I would still recommend focusing on identifying specific facts from each explanation and quizzing myself on them. It can be easy to lapse into passive studying when reading through the reams of text on UW question explanations or just skimming through FA, but I have a feeling my success on the exam owed in large part to having tested myself in so many small ways all throughout my study period.

Re: NBMEs and UW practice tests, I was really nervous/afraid of how I would do, so I (probably foolishly) didn't take one until 12 days before the exam. But for those who are interested:
  • UW Form 1: 282 (which I think must be a gross overestimate comparing the # incorrect from UW to NBME), 12 days out
  • NBME 16: 268, 9 days out
  • NBME 17: 270, 6 days out
  • NBME 18: 270, 4 days out
  • Step 1: 272 (image attached just because this is the internet and it's nice to have proof people aren't just blowing hot air)
I am sorry if this comes across as braggy - that's really not my intent (and I am not interested in revealing personally identifying information, because everyone at my school is getting their results around now, and I do NOT want to shove this in anyone's face). Instead, I know how stress-inducing this exam is for everyone who takes it, and want to be a resource to those who would like advice. Feel free to post here or send me a private message!

PS - a note on wellness - I took 45 minutes to 1.5 hours every day during my dedicated study time to exercise, stretch, do yoga, take a walk outside, whatever...I think I would have burned out and done more poorly if I hadn't made that a priority, even on the days I hadn't done as much UW, FA, or whatever else as I had hoped.

Can you PM me your daily schedule???

As insane a score as 272 is, I feel like 94% on UWorld is even more impressive. Getting over 90% on Uworld open book, untimed would even be damn near impossible for me.

Reactions: 6 users
Can you PM me your daily schedule???
So mean like I said I was going through some personal crap at the time so I really did not have a regular schedule (e.g., had to sporadically take entire days off unplanned). In general I tried to have a balanced diet of UW and FA (I really really enjoyed questions so I would typically start with FA since I found that harder to make an active learning source, and would be more apt to slip into passivity if I did FA alone at the end of the day instead of UW). In general I would be up by 6, take some time to meditate/journal/breathe, shower, eat/have coffee, and get to studying by 630/7. I generally used the pomodoro method (25 mins totally on, 5 mins totally off, rinse and repeat) as often as I could. By about 12 or 1 this generally became monotonous so I would take time for lunch, catching up with friends and family/the news, exercising, often showering again, and feeling re-set to focus back in by 2 or 3, then churning out several more hours before stopping by 9 or 10 PM (with a variable break for dinner in there at some point). I generally tried to stop studying at least an hour before bed to help unwind and prevent burnout. Does that help?

Reactions: 7 users
So mean like I said I was going through some personal crap at the time so I really did not have a regular schedule (e.g., had to sporadically take entire days off unplanned). In general I tried to have a balanced diet of UW and FA (I really really enjoyed questions so I would typically start with FA since I found that harder to make an active learning source, and would be more apt to slip into passivity if I did FA alone at the end of the day instead of UW). In general I would be up by 6, take some time to meditate/journal/breathe, shower, eat/have coffee, and get to studying by 630/7. I generally used the pomodoro method (25 mins totally on, 5 mins totally off, rinse and repeat) as often as I could. By about 12 or 1 this generally became monotonous so I would take time for lunch, catching up with friends and family/the news, exercising, often showering again, and feeling re-set to focus back in by 2 or 3, then churning out several more hours before stopping by 9 or 10 PM (with a variable break for dinner in there at some point). I generally tried to stop studying at least an hour before bed to help unwind and prevent burnout. Does that help?

so would you say UFAP essentially got you 90% there? I mean, in addition to preclinicals. You also scored 39 on the mcat based on your history so how much of it will you say was your natural intellect vs prep?

Did you do uworld random tutor or by system?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Random tutor only. Doing things by system gives you a false sense of security re: familiarity, the exam is not presented in nicely Siloed divisions, and coming back to a topic again and again makes for some nice automatic spaced repitition.

so would you say UFAP essentially got you 90% there? I mean, in addition to preclinicals. You also scored 39 on the mcat based on your history so how much of it will you say was your natural intellect vs prep?
I don't know, I feel like I have always just taken a very systematic approach to assimilating the knowledge necessary for these exams. After a certain length of increased time and opportunities with test-taking you start to develop an innate sense for what degree of what an appropriate level of testable detail includes, and you can use this as a springboard for picking testable minutiae from the endless sea of information on any topic.

As for my own test performance, I would be in denial if I said I didn't think a natural test-taking aptitude has always been a consistent theme, but I still think most of those strategies can be taught/learned.

Congrats bro!

How did you feel during the test itself? Did you walk out thinking 272 was feasible? And (I know this is probably a ridiculous unanswerable question) how many overall/per block did you feel like you had missed when you walked out?
Thank you!

I walked out and felt like I had killed it. Like there was one question I distinctly remember knowing I had missed because I thought of my mistake in thinking a few moments after finishing the block. Most blocks I felt like 35-36 of them were like "I'm close to 100% confident in this choices," with 2-3 more of "I have this narrowed down to these two but I'm able to make a reasonably educated guess," and only 1 "WTF is going on I have never seen this before ever ahhhhhhhhh"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't know, I feel like I have always just taken a very systematic approach to assimilating the knowledge
Good job all the same. It is interesting to see you didn't really do anything fancy. You are the 5th person I know who did it during clinicals to score >260 so I really wonder if that helps. Thanks for sharing this!

• NBME 16: 268, 9 days out
  • NBME 17: 270, 6 days out
  • NBME 18: 270, 4 days out

Edits: summary of the smatterings of advice I have given either in replies or in PMs:
  • Know what you do and do not know going into your dedicated study time - personally I knew the biochem, micro, immunology, anatomy, and embryology were (a) not taught well at my school and (b) much farther from me in chronologic terms (i.e., learning Micro for the first time in September '14 and taking the exam in February '17.) Once you know what you're weak on (either from preliminary QBank results or just your own intuition, don't feel so chained to the notion that you have to "get through" everything in equal proportions, but instead repeat the subjects you're unfamiliar with early and often throughout your studying period.
  • Re: efficiency, I would say the most important thing is to focus on actually learning from a resource rather than just trying to force yourself to get through it to feel like you've accomplished your study task for the day. I always pushed back plans for how much I would cover when I knew I couldn't cover it all and actually understand and retain the material. Do not fall into the trap of buying more and more materials just to say you made it through them all - it would serve you much better to know UW, FA, and Pathoma cold than to "just get through" Kaplan, UW, FA, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro, Picmonic, BRS Physiology, etc. etc.
  • As much as possible, use UW as an excuse to do forced recall of topics you've studied on previous days in First Aid - so let's say you looked over the mechanisms and indications and side effects for diuretics 2 days ago and ostensibly memorized them - so then when you get a question on where the thiazide diuretic acts, this is your excuse to force yourself to recall where loop (and osmotic, and K-sparing, blah blah diuretics work in addition to their side effects and indications). In generally, the more mentally taxing something is, the more frustrating it is to study, but the more likely you are to retain it.
  • When you are reading questions, try to ask yourself "what unambiguous entity is this question trying to get me to identify?" Because remember that for whatever question, the answer must be universally agreed upon by a panel of experts (unlike many med school exams that try to trick you up). So, particularly for the questions that are more than just rote memory (what cell secretes IFN-gamma?) try to look for patterns instead of taking each detail as a separate data point. For instance, when you hear diabetes, HTN, HLD, and smoking, you should be thinking "what are they about to ask me about atherosclerotic vascular disease, from CAD to cerebrovascular disease to mesenteric ischemia to peripheral vascular disease to renovascular hypertension 2/2 bilateral renal artery stenosis" before even looking at the answer choices.
    • Similarly, when reading a stem on, say, cirrhosis, you should start to bring to mind all the etiologies you can think of (alcohol, hepatitis B and C, autoimmune hepatitis, Wilson's disease, A1AT deficiency, hemochromatosis) and begin thinking of how examiners could unambiguously identify one of these for you - neuropsychiatric manifestations with Kayser-Fleischer rings for Wilson's, early-onset emphysema for A1AT, bronze diabetes, cardiomyopathy, and arthralgias for hemochromatosis, Wernicke-Korsakoff, aspiration pneumonia, and macrocytic anemia for EtOH, and history of immigration from an endemic region vs. IVDU for Hep B/C...and THEN you should start thinking about how you could test for each of those things, AND the underlying pathophysiology of each.
    • The key is making connections as often as possible so that each question becomes a mini-review of every possible topic. Once these webs start to interconnect in your brain, "retention" will become less rote and more facile because your brain remembers why one factoid is relevant in distinguishing one disease entity from another and in allowing you to corral your knowledge base into more organized chunks.

Thank you very much for your contribution. I have a bit different question. If you don't mind what is your IQ (if you have taken any test) and what's your MCAT and med school grades? When we try to estimate the nbme's-uworld-kaplan scores, we also need to mention the test takers natural capabilities. If not secret tell us little bit more about yourself.

Thank you very much for your contribution. I have a bit different question. If you don't mind what is your IQ (if you have taken any test) and what's your MCAT and med school grades? When we try to estimate the nbme's-uworld-kaplan scores, we also need to mention the test takers natural capabilities. If not secret tell us little bit more about yourself.

Oh sure no problem.

IQ hasn't been tested since age 4, but it was slightly above 160 at the time (don't have the actual report with me to confirm exact #)
MCAT - 39T (14 Phys / 10 verbal / 15 Bio / T writing)
UG GPA - 4.0
Med School - preclinical P/F (but >90% in every block, if memory serves), Honors in every core clerkship

Good job all the same. It is interesting to see you didn't really do anything fancy. You are the 5th person I know who did it during clinicals to score >260 so I really wonder if that helps. Thanks for sharing this!

I really think it does. Your knowledge base and clinical reasoning grow so much over clerkship year, and even though it puts you a year farther away from biochem and micro (et al), I think the overall increase in your medical knowledge more than makes up for this. And case in point, our school's Step 1 average jumped 10 points after we switched from pre- to post-clinical Step 1.

I really think it does. Your knowledge base and clinical reasoning grow so much over clerkship year, and even though it puts you a year farther away from biochem and micro (et al), I think the overall increase in your medical knowledge more than makes up for this. And case in point, our school's Step 1 average jumped 10 points after we switched from pre- to post-clinical Step 1.

Oh sure no problem.

IQ hasn't been tested since age 4, but it was slightly above 160 at the time (don't have the actual report with me to confirm exact #)
MCAT - 39T (14 Phys / 10 verbal / 15 Bio / T writing)
UG GPA - 4.0
Med School - preclinical P/F (but >90% in every block, if memory serves), Honors in every core clerkship

Happy for you, your credentials are higher many times than the averages. 270 is not only hard work, I know plenty of people working so hard and can even reach 240. Not everyone becomes mr. olympia but sure most of that guys are competitive, I hope you will do great in your medical career and prove that people with super high scores can be at the same time quite adequate doctors and nice social persons to hang out with) good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I believe you/that. A friend of mine says it is "pretty much like cheating" doing it post. He scored 31 on the mcat, and then 265 on step 1. I'm sure he studied hard but he says it was doing it post. For one, he had seen a few of the cases/vignettes in real life, and then clinicals just makes you think like a doctor which helps in step 1. No wonder, most ivys are switching or have switched.

So any idea what specialty you want? sky is pretty much the limit for you now

Someone care to explain this "post=clinical" type of curriculum?

They have you guys doing rotations pretty much from the get go or what?

While doing the organ-based systems?

I's confusseddd,,,

I's confusseddd,,,
I believe its 1 year pre-clinical curriculum, then 2nd year is clinical rotations. After 2nd year you take USMLE like normal (thus having 1 year of clinics in before step 1). 3rd/4th year is often for research/electives. Could be wrong though.

I's confusseddd,,,

We do our pre-clinical curriculum during MS1 year and the first half of MS2 year. Our clerkship year (traditional "3rd year") runs from halfway through MS2 to halfway through MS3, and we take Step 1 immediately thereafter. The rest of medical school is electives and research.

I believe you/that. A friend of mine says it is "pretty much like cheating" doing it post. He scored 31 on the mcat, and then 265 on step 1. I'm sure he studied hard but he says it was doing it post. For one, he had seen a few of the cases/vignettes in real life, and then clinicals just makes you think like a doctor which helps in step 1. No wonder, most ivys are switching or have switched.

So any idea what specialty you want? sky is pretty much the limit for you now

Thanks! In order, I'm interested in medicine, peds, and neuro, particularly ID and heme/onc. I did well in procedural fields but really hated the culture, so I'm not interested in those at all. Radiology was fun but I really like seeing patients...

Thanks! In order, I'm interested in medicine, peds, and neuro, particularly ID and heme/onc. I did well in procedural fields but really hated the culture, so I'm not interested in those at all. Radiology was fun but I really like seeing patients...
Interviewer:
"Tell me about yourself"
Split Infinity:
"272"
Interviewer:
"Why Harvard Med?"
Split Infinity:
"272"
Interviewer:
"So I saw your resume, i must say it's quite incredible but you seem to be lacking some research"
Split Infinity:
"272"
Interviewer:
"This was a great interview, do you have any questions for me?"
Split Infinity:
"272"

Reactions: 27 users
How long have you been meditating for? Do you think it has helped in your memory and concentration?

How long have you been meditating for? Do you think it has helped in your memory and concentration?
I can't claim to be the best prophet or practitioner of meditation. In general I would try to take 3-5 minutes to breathe deeply, attempt to clear my mind, and engage in compassion exercises (some of the most evidence-based meditative practices). There's a wealth of research out there to pore through so I won't pontificate much further, but I do think it helps me with setting my goals for the day and figuring out how to stick with them and follow through with them.

I can't claim to be the best prophet or practitioner of meditation. In general I would try to take 3-5 minutes to breathe deeply, attempt to clear my mind, and engage in compassion exercises (some of the most evidence-based meditative practices). There's a wealth of research out there to pore through so I won't pontificate much further, but I do think it helps me with setting my goals for the day and figuring out how to stick with them and follow through with them.
*Everybody starts googling 'compassion exercises'*

Reactions: 10 users
*Everybody starts googling 'compassion exercises'*
I mean basically they just help you be more intentional in being empathetic and compassionate, so even if they won't help your score, they will (hopefully) help you be a better person

Would you mind sharing the number of incorrect answers you had on NBMEs 15 through 18? Want to get an idea of what sort of %age is required to break 260.

Would you mind sharing the number of incorrect answers you had on NBMEs 15 through 18? Want to get an idea of what sort of %age is required to break 260.

15: 262 - 9 incorrect
16: 268 - 2 incorrect
17: 270 - 0 incorrect
18: 270 - 0 incorrect

Wait, just double checked the NBME website and realized my memory was faulty...

16: 277 - 2 incorrect
17: 280 - 0 incorrect
18: 280 - 0 incorrect

I think my brain just mixed up the score out of 800 and the score out of 300 and gave the wrong number, sorry...

Wait, just double checked the NBME website and realized my memory was faulty...

16: 277 - 2 incorrect
17: 280 - 0 incorrect
18: 280 - 0 incorrect

I think my brain just mixed up the score out of 800 and the score out of 300 and gave the wrong number, sorry...

You are literally God.

1) How well would you say you had first aid memorized? By memorized, I mean like truly memorized (like if I gave you a first aid heading, you could tell me basically everything written in that entry). Not word for word but like paraphrased.

2) How did you learn/review anatomy for the Step? Any recommendations? How about embryo?

3) What do you think of reviewing step I material during rotations (since you took step I after rotation)?

I bet you also read very very very fast? I have a friend like you. Super high scores all the time, less studying then the rest of the class, super high speed reading, finishing the test 2 times more fastlly then the rest. And by the way she is a good person, very social and encouraging person. I know a hundreds of people, but she is the only one like that, outstanding in all criteria. Just granted by nature. Somebody is deprived, somebody is granted, c'est la vie.

You are literally God.

1) How well would you say you had first aid memorized? By memorized, I mean like truly memorized (like if I gave you a first aid heading, you could tell me basically everything written in that entry). Not word for word but like paraphrased.

2) How did you learn/review anatomy for the Step? Any recommendations? How about embryo?

3) What do you think of reviewing step I material during rotations (since you took step I after rotation)?
Ha...you flatter me. Not a deity, just seem to have standardized exams figured out.

1) Completely depends on section and my own familiarity with the topic (again, know what you know and what you don't know by constantly quizzing yourself!). For instance, I knew the biochem, immuno, micro, (fundamentals of ) pathology, and basic pharmacology sections backwards and forwards and up and down and left and right because I knew this content the least well going into my dedicated study period. So yeah, I was very obsessive about learning and re-learning and re-assessing my knowledge of biochemical pathways (I can't tell you how many times I drew out the urea cycle, Krebs cycle, purine salvage pathways, etc. etc. from forced recall), glycogen and lysosomal storage diseases (not only names, enzymes, and accumulated substrates, but also clinical presentation with histopath), familial hyperlipidemias, gram +/- lab algorithms, literally everything about every microbe (especially parasites, fungi, and viruses, i.e., the bugs you discuss somewhat less often on rounds), antimicrobials, immunodeficiencies (not only specifics of each disease but also the mechanism behind whatever presentation), types of transfusion reactions, immunosuppressive drug toxicities, specifics of leukocyte transmigration in inflammation...I could go on, but the fact that all of these topics just spilled out of my brain without opening FA and it's been nearly a month since I took the exam gives you some idea of how well I knew the content.

Meanwhile I actually did not open the sections on behavioral science and psychiatry, the former because ethics and biostats have always been intuitive for me, and the latter because I had recently finished my psychiatry clerkship and the teaching therein, including psychopharm, was very thorough. In general I would say I personally had to focus significantly less on the organ systems than on the basic science chapters, but again, this was immediately after doing clerkship year. Notable exceptions to that trend = reproductive (so much embryology here), renal (drugs and mechanisms), heme/onc (so many drugs/toxicities, plus great charts for diseases like porphyrias, lymphomas, and leukemias, where tiny details separate one disease from the next). Truly though, FA is extremely high yield in terms of the topics it includes (but of course it's up to you to actually understand the information it's giving you and make connections to everything else you've learned). Like way more high yield than I ever could have hoped - but as you're alluding, you have to know what you know (and what you don't).

2) I quite dislike anatomy and embryology (#NeverGonnaBeASurgeon), but my approach for this was effectively as outlined in the first post - quizzing myself at every available opportunity. Like seriously - every single time I would encounter a labeled anatomy or embryology figure in UW or FA, I would immediately cover up the labels and ask myself what each structure was. Obviously this is very painful the first time you see a new diagram, but this was the only way I could get it to stick. For embryo in particular I was very obsessive about the FA charts: cardiac development and anomalies, branchial arches, derivatives of aortic arches, etc. Other v high yield charts for anatomy include the neuromuscular charts (brachial/lumbosacral plexus) and the hypothalamic/thalamic nuclei in neuro.

3) If you have enough time in the day to be at the hospital for 12 hours, come home and prep for your patients by reading about their illnesses, meds, and management, work on whatever presentations you have going on that week, study for the shelf, use the bathroom, and study in a dedicated fashion for Step 1, then you are a stronger person than me. I would not focus explicitly on Step 1 topics during clerkship year because so many of them are such basic science topics that they will rarely score you a pimp point or show up on the Shelf, and as you'll discover, there's already sooooo much clinical knowledge to assimilate that you don't generally have the time and energy to delve deeply into the basic science again. But, if you do find that time, I certainly don't think it's a bad idea - just trying to be realistic with expectation-setting.

Reactions: 7 users
I bet you also read very very very fast? I have a friend like you. Super high scores all the time, less studying then the rest of the class, super high speed reading, finishing the test 2 times more fastlly then the rest. And by the way she is a good person, very social and encouraging person. I know a hundreds of people, but she is the only one like that, outstanding in all criteria. Just granted by nature. Somebody is deprived, somebody is granted, c'est la vie.
I don't know, I would say I'm usually a pretty deliberate reader when trying to learn information for the first time, and I felt I spent a painstakingly long time with each question stem and answer set on the actual exam. Granted my decision-making was pretty quick after having done thousands upon thousands of NBME-style questions between clerkship year and Step 1 prep, such that I ended most of my Step 1 exam blocks with >20 minutes to go, but I don't think "reading very very very fast" was the key here. In fact, reading too quickly can really come back to bite you, since there are plenty of clinical vignettes that only differ by a detail or two.

How???? I mean, perfect? Really?! Please teach me :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
One general piece of advice would be that every time I came across a question that was stumping me, I would take a second, breathe, and tell myself "you HAVE studied this, you just have to figure out what they're trying to ask you to be able to put that knowledge to bear." Remember, the questions are designed to be straightforward, so you can psych yourself out by assuming they're more complicated than they actually are.

Reactions: 6 users
One general piece of advice would be that every time I came across a question that was stumping me, I would take a second, breathe, and tell myself "you HAVE studied this, you just have to figure out what they're trying to ask you to be able to put that knowledge to bear." Remember, the questions are designed to be straightforward, so you can psych yourself out by assuming they're more complicated than they actually are.
Very informative thread. I tried to follow your advice. It seems to help me. Hopefully it will help me in exam. Thanks.