The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
I just took a practice mcat and barely broke 20! How can this be? My strong points were the VR section and organic questions. Not taking the test is really not much of an option for me. I live in Australia so I have had to pay out the nose for this thing which I won't get back if I cancel, so I'm kinda stuck taking it in 3 weeks. Does anyone have any advice on how to bring this score up? I have been studying like a maniac, yet the only stuff I can remember is ORGO!!!! I had this same problem in college, I thoroughly stunk at gen chem, but did much better in orgo. How is that even possible?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lytesnsyrens said:
I just took a practice mcat and barely broke 20! How can this be? My strong points were the VR section and organic questions. Not taking the test is really not much of an option for me. I live in Australia so I have had to pay out the nose for this thing which I won't get back if I cancel, so I'm kinda stuck taking it in 3 weeks. Does anyone have any advice on how to bring this score up? I have been studying like a maniac, yet the only stuff I can remember is ORGO!!!! I had this same problem in college, I thoroughly stunk at gen chem, but did much better in orgo. How is that even possible?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Lynch Lytes :laugh: I couldn't resist.

What study materials are you using?

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
But I'm not a wolf! lol

EK stuff.

How in the world can I get orgo, but completely forget inorgo? I'm an idiot.

About the Ads

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lytesnsyrens said:
But I'm not a wolf! lol

EK stuff.

Gen Chem is my weak spot too. Have you thought about the 1001 question books?

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
BrettBatchelor said:
Gen Chem is my weak spot too. Have you thought about the 1001 question books?

That's what I'm doing right now. I just don't know how much more I can bring up this score before the test. It's almost feeling futile now. How many times are we able to take this thing again? lol

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lytesnsyrens said:
That's what I'm doing right now. I just don't know how much more I can bring up this score before the test. It's almost feeling futile now. How many times are we able to take this thing again? lol
As many as possible but after 3 you need to show you aren't a Kaplan or TPR employee and actually attempting to apply to med school.

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
I have a feeling they will get to know me...

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
lytesnsyrens said:
I have a feeling they will get to know me...
Awww... no way.

Honestly, if you feel that you've studied the basics enough, then it's just a matter of mastering the test, which means taking as many practice exams as possible and learning to deal with the questions.

Gatsby14777

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Cambridge MA
Status
Pre-Medical
lytesnsyrens said:
But I'm not a wolf! lol

EK stuff.

Don't beat yourself up....I'm with you too. I was a chem major UG and right now my physical sciences are not so hot...kind of ashamed to admit it. I'm still working full time, but I took the 2 weeks off before the exam and am just going to do full lengths to improve strategy. Right now I am doing flash cards to cement things into my head....but I'm hoping with the amount of full lengths I will be doing a lot of my learning will come from there to bring my score up :(

pufferfish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rio
Status
I'm with you, I've been an advocate of people studying their asses off and trying at least, then yesterday i took aamc 6. My sciences were below 10, and because I've been neglecting VR, I bombed it with a 5. I'm ready to throw in the towel with this whole thing.

Gatsby14777

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Cambridge MA
Status
Pre-Medical
pufferfish said:
I with you, I've been an advocate of people studying their asses off and trying at least, then yesterday i took aamc 6. My sciences were below 10, but because I've been neglecting VR, I bombed it with a 5. I'm ready to throw in the towel with this whole thing.

Noooooooooooooo....Just take a day to relax and then approach it again. You guys keep me going, don't give up. I was ready to give up sunday after my last FL....but I know I can get there. At some point it will pay off..hopefully soon. I'm waiting for the non-drug induced high I will get when I get the score I have been trying for....till then i've gotta keep on keeping on.
(Here I am at work, chugging a redbull and being motivational at this early hour). Stay with me!!!!!!

harrypotter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
pufferfish said:
I'm with you, I've been an advocate of people studying their asses off and trying at least, then yesterday i took aamc 6. My sciences were below 10, and because I've been neglecting VR, I bombed it with a 5. I'm ready to throw in the towel with this whole thing.
Awww pufferfish! Everyone has an off day. Plus we've all been studying since goodness knows when! So take a full day off.... sleep, watch a movie, recharge the batteries. There's nothing worse than taking a test and being exhausted. :D And.. just you wait, you'll bounce right back! :luck:

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
I'm pretty much motivationless right now. I really don't feel like studying today at all and it's noon and so far I haven't even cracked a book. Been watching tv, chattin' with friends, took the dog for a walk. I just don't feel like it.

Yeah, I did decent on the VR section, but pretty much sank with the others (below 10). yeah.

Oh well, I better get my butt into gear, all this hard work CAN NOT be for nothing! And if it comes to it, I'll just have to work harder and redo the test next year. Whatever.

About the Ads

odddodo

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2006
Status
The MCAT's designation as a "critical thinking" test annoys me. I just took AAMC #8, and it seems that many of the questions I get wrong are based on pure memorization. Biological sciences is the worst; I mean, questions that basically ask things like "What is the Carbon-13 NMR spectra of this carboxyl group?"

I can understand why questions would require some memorization (because biology is pretty much that), but why do they have to put in those type of "either you know it or you don't" questions? Questions should be designed to allow at least some of that vaunted "critical thinking" to come out. As it is now, I think many errors come from simply not knowing what the hell some term is or how some technique works rather than as a mistake in reasoning.

There's my short rant about the MCAT. :mad:

STIG

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
NY
Status
Pre-Dental
League54 said:
BANG yr dead!
can you also shoot me while you are at it?

I am not really liking my scores either.

:mad:

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
I'm thinking, 7 pm, August 19 there will be a mass suicide. It'll be like the shot heard 'round the world. :scared:

:laugh:

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
Ok, so, I took another practice test today. I raised my PS by 3, but lowered the BS by 1. Go figure. I did end up raising the overall score by 2, but it's still sub-par. Well, I figure if I just keep doing practice tests until the Thursday the 17th (when my flight is to Melbourne), hopefully I'll be able to keep inching it up. *fingers crossed*

Gatsby14777

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Cambridge MA
Status
Pre-Medical
lytesnsyrens said:
Ok, so, I took another practice test today. I raised my PS by 3, but lowered the BS by 1. Go figure. I did end up raising the overall score by 2, but it's still sub-par. Well, I figure if I just keep doing practice tests until the Thursday the 17th (when my flight is to Melbourne), hopefully I'll be able to keep inching it up. *fingers crossed*
Do you have advice on raising PS? I can't seem to raise my score on that section :mad:

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
Gatsby14777 said:
Do you have advice on raising PS? I can't seem to raise my score on that section :mad:

I just keep doing practice tests and problems. I think it's just all about repetition now. I just keep doing things over and over and hope some of it sticks. hehe But apparently I lost in bio because of it.

One more thing, are we going to have to know NMR and IR Spec and all that? I thought it wouldn't be on the test, but I noticed on 4R 2 or 3 questions about it. I don't think I could memorize all that stuff too!

Erina

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
lytesnsyrens said:
I just keep doing practice tests and problems. I think it's just all about repetition now. I just keep doing things over and over and hope some of it sticks. hehe But apparently I lost in bio because of it.

One more thing, are we going to have to know NMR and IR Spec and all that? I thought it wouldn't be on the test, but I noticed on 4R 2 or 3 questions about it. I don't think I could memorize all that stuff too!
you can pretty much count on having an NMR question. but it really doesnt' seem to go beyond the basics. my one passage in april had a carbon-13 NMR with it but i didn't have to use it at all because i could get the info from other stuff.

but yeah, you'll want to at least have a fairly good idea of how to read an NMR or IR. after all, that could be one more question you get right!

lala83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
pufferfish you can't give up...you're my hope on sdn! we're pretty much in the same boat with the 5 point increase needed. if you're not applying right now then obviously you have the option not to take it. i've already submitted primaries and this is the first time i'm taking it, so i have no other choice. but i'm still gonna do it! and tell myself that it CAN be done. okay off to study, goodluck mcatters.

pufferfish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rio
Status
lala83 said:
pufferfish you can't give up...you're my hope on sdn! we're pretty much in the same boat with the 5 point increase needed. if you're not applying right now then obviously you have the option not to take it. i've already submitted primaries and this is the first time i'm taking it, so i have no other choice. but i'm still gonna do it! and tell myself that it CAN be done. okay off to study, goodluck mcatters.
i'm taking it... PM me.... i won't back out...

About the Ads

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
NJ
Status
A thread like this is important. Like others, hearing all of your stories is keeping me going as well. This is my 3rd year applying and 2nd time taking the MCATs. I haven't even been able to get through a whole exam without stopping in frustration now. I know, in essence, that I have comrades-in-arms here and no matter how long it takes, we will all succeed.

In practical terms.... procure some formula sheets if you can. I know wrote memorization is never as effective as fully understanding the formula, but it may work out for you if you hammer the equations in there in the last 2 weeks.

This exam is imposing, and like the bully in elementary school, the hardest part will be standing up to it. Each day, wake up and affirm the fact that you are going to beat the living Hell out of the exam. Take the MCATs on your terms... don't let those holier-than-thou bastards who create the exam dictate your emotions on test day.

Last thoughts... know we're all along there with you.

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
Status
pufferfish said:
i'm taking it... PM me.... i won't back out...

:luck: hang in there everone

lala83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Timmythemic22 said:
A thread like this is important. Like others, hearing all of your stories is keeping me going as well. This is my 3rd year applying and 2nd time taking the MCATs. I haven't even been able to get through a whole exam without stopping in frustration now. I know, in essence, that I have comrades-in-arms here and no matter how long it takes, we will all succeed.

In practical terms.... procure some formula sheets if you can. I know wrote memorization is never as effective as fully understanding the formula, but it may work out for you if you hammer the equations in there in the last 2 weeks.

This exam is imposing, and like the bully in elementary school, the hardest part will be standing up to it. Each day, wake up and affirm the fact that you are going to beat the living Hell out of the exam. Take the MCATs on your terms... don't let those holier-than-thou bastards who create the exam dictate your emotions on test day.

Last thoughts... know we're all along there with you.

ok you're so right, we're totally gonna get each other through this! it's so refreshing to have others encouraging you and giving you the strength to keep going.

'i think i can i think i can...'

Brandon81081

OBGYN
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Louisiana
www.myspace.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I thought i'd join in on the forum. I have MAJOR problems w/the Verbal sections. Cant seem to get past 5-7 range. On some tests i score 9/10's on physics and Bio...then other test i score 7's or 8's in these sections...makes me think it's going to come down to luck. Ive completely given up on Verbal. I've been studying 4-5hrs a day (no exaggeration) since feb. and have yet to score over a 25 on this thing....any advice?

I've chosen to take the Sunday test option(for the 2nd time) with hopes of a less stressful day.

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
Don't feel bad, people. I can't seem to get above a 21. I'm still working on it though, I refuse to let this thing bring me down! I still have a few more practice tests to get through, and hopefully I'll do alittle better with each one. If I get blown outta the water, oh well. There's always January.

pufferfish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rio
Status
lytesnsyrens said:
Don't feel bad, people. I can't seem to get above a 21. I'm still working on it though, I refuse to let this thing bring me down! I still have a few more practice tests to get through, and hopefully I'll do alittle better with each one. If I get blown outta the water, oh well. There's always January.

Your attitude rocks. You go in there and give it everything. I'm in your boat as well. We always have another test, of course, but let's try on this one!!! :luck:

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
pufferfish said:
Your attitude rocks. You go in there and give it everything. I'm in your boat as well. We always have another test, of course, but let's try on this one!!! :luck:
Thanks! Yeah, I keep seeing these other threads where everyone's like, "I got a 32-36, I can't seem to bring it up!" and I just wanna scream. This is my first time taking it, and I will give it everything, but if I don't do well enough at least I'll know what to do differently for next time. I was stressing out about it (I lost 6 lbs last month) and I refuse to stress anymore. I just can't wait until Saturday night! I'll have to celebrate, Aussie style, lots of snags on the barbie! hehe

jv00927

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
This thread is so helpful. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one struggling. I feel kind of down after seeing people's scores in the other threads. But there's still time to improve, so let's do it y'all.

Gatsby14777

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Cambridge MA
Status
Pre-Medical
jv00927 said:
This thread is so helpful. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one struggling. I feel kind of down after seeing people's scores in the other threads. But there's still time to improve, so let's do it y'all.
Just got railed by the Kaplan FL#4...I'm still in the low 20's. Oddly this time my PS went up and my BS went down. Verbal has been consistant on all 4. I took 2 weeks "vacation" from work so I can do full lengths and hopefully improve my score. What are you guys focusing on to improve your score? I wonder if I will see an improvement before, or on the exam... :scared:

Brandon81081

OBGYN
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
Louisiana
www.myspace.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, my PS and BS always fluctuate ALOT from test to test. Im going in w/over 500hrs study time....So this will be my last time to take it. I just dont wanna have any regrets after taking it so im going all out on this one. that Caribbean School keeps looking better and better.

Im thankful for this thread. Its made me sick seeing people complain about scores of 30+.

About the Ads
OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
Sweet! I just finished 5R and I got a 24! I know, not incredible, but considering I started at 19, I'm happy. So here's my breakdown so far:

3R
5/8/6 19

4R
8/8/5 21

5R
7/9/8 24

My PS and BS sections are fluctuating and that worries me a bit. I still have 6R to take and hopefully 1G, let's hope my trend will continue and only get better! And I actually did the Writing section this time, I thought we had 30 minutes to do BOTH essays, so I was freaking that I was running out of time. Then I realized it was 30 mins each, and now I think I'll be ok... I was scared for a minute there!

How is everyone else doing? I know 24 is not great, but if I can get it up to at least 27 or 28 on the real thing, I'll just go DO! That was my first choice anyway.

Keep up the good work guys, I know it may not look like we're doing too great (not hitting any 30+ out of the ballpark) but eventually, we'll get there! :luck: :luck:

Gatsby14777

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Cambridge MA
Status
Pre-Medical
lytesnsyrens said:
Sweet! I just finished 5R and I got a 24! I know, not incredible, but considering I started at 19, I'm happy. So here's my breakdown so far:

3R
5/8/6 19

4R
8/8/5 21

5R
7/9/8 24

My PS and BS sections are fluctuating and that worries me a bit. I still have 6R to take and hopefully 1G, let's hope my trend will continue and only get better! And I actually did the Writing section this time, I thought we had 30 minutes to do BOTH essays, so I was freaking that I was running out of time. Then I realized it was 30 mins each, and now I think I'll be ok... I was scared for a minute there!

How is everyone else doing? I know 24 is not great, but if I can get it up to at least 27 or 28 on the real thing, I'll just go DO! That was my first choice anyway.

Keep up the good work guys, I know it may not look like we're doing too great (not hitting any 30+ out of the ballpark) but eventually, we'll get there! :luck: :luck:
Good job! I am going to take 6R this afternoon and let you know how it goes. From there I will prob take another 2 AAMC's over the next couple of days and Kaplan FL5 on Saturday (although I am getting sick of Kaplan). I'm trying not to get frustrated over here...it's good to know others are making progress :oops:
In the mean time I am going over the list of areas I have trouble with and just doing problems....in my "spare" time I am trying to keep reviewing things that I do know, or things that need to be coldly memorized/mnemonics.
GOODLUCK everyone

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
lytesnsyrens said:
Where in Australia do you live? I just came back from a visit in Australia....awesome country! :love:

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
lytesnsyrens said:
Thanks! Yeah, I keep seeing these other threads where everyone's like, "I got a 32-36, I can't seem to bring it up!" and I just wanna scream. This is my first time taking it, and I will give it everything, but if I don't do well enough at least I'll know what to do differently for next time. I was stressing out about it (I lost 6 lbs last month) and I refuse to stress anymore. I just can't wait until Saturday night! I'll have to celebrate, Aussie style, lots of snags on the barbie! hehe
hey there mate, no worries... :thumbup:

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
Psycho Doctor said:
Where in Australia do you live? I just came back from a visit in Australia....awesome country! :love:
I'm in Perth, Western Australia but I'm taking the MCAT in Melbourne. I can't wait for this thing to be over! It's 11:30 am and I haven't began studying yet today, I'm kinda stalling. Well, I'll do it at some point.

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
Ok time for my weekly freak out session. I haven't studied in 2 days! I'm just sooooo over this thing, I can't. But, I'm gonna suck it up tomorrow and do 6R, and now I'm thoroughly frightened with the other 6R threads on here... Geez, I'm so burnt out that today all I did was sit around watching tv. I rented Just Friends. It was hilarious! But, tomorrow is back to the grindstone...

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
lytesnsyrens said:
I'm in Perth, Western Australia but I'm taking the MCAT in Melbourne. I can't wait for this thing to be over! It's 11:30 am and I haven't began studying yet today, I'm kinda stalling. Well, I'll do it at some point.
hey awesome! My gf just did study abraod at Curtin in Perth; she loved it. Melbourne is awesome too. Best of luck...that's a long trip; don't they offer the MCAT in Perth? I hope you are going there a day before or you're going to have serious jet lag. :(

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
Psycho Doctor said:
hey awesome! My gf just did study abraod at Curtin in Perth; she loved it. Melbourne is awesome too. Best of luck...that's a long trip; don't they offer the MCAT in Perth? I hope you are going there a day before or you're going to have serious jet lag. :(
Yeah, I'm getting to Melbourne on Thursday evening so I can get up early Friday and get used to the time change. I don't know why they don't offer it here in Perth, kinda stupid, but whatever.

Score update:
3R
5/8/6 19

4R
8/8/5 21

5R
7/9/8 24

And I officially hate 6R.
7/8/6 21

The bio section was exceptionally difficult, I think.

Things are not looking well...

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I really enjoy this thread! I am also sick of the 30+ posts, it kinda scares me and makes me feel stupid because I can barely break 20. Ok so I have been trying not to focus on scores, instead I have decided to focus on percentages. I figure that the curve is different from test to test, but as long as I can get my percentages up then eventually I will get a good score. So I started with Kaplan last semester and I took the April MCAT, I had around a 20 right up to the test and then the day of the test my best friend of 12 years brother died and she called and told me like 2 hours before I had to take it. That sucked. Well, I got a 16 on the real thing. I didnt study until I got my score because I was so sick of it. Anyways now I have raised my percentage from 30% (yes I know it is pretty low) to around 50-60%. Now this is where I am frustrated, my score stays the same pretty much every time I take it! Yup, I just dont get it. With Kaplan tests I could get like 40% right and have like a 7-8, where as with the AAMC tests I get 60% and get a 5. Does anyone have simular situations, and what did you do to raise your score?

Gatsby14777

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Cambridge MA
Status
Pre-Medical
lytesnsyrens said:
Yeah, I'm getting to Melbourne on Thursday evening so I can get up early Friday and get used to the time change. I don't know why they don't offer it here in Perth, kinda stupid, but whatever.

Score update:
3R
5/8/6 19

4R
8/8/5 21

5R
7/9/8 24

And I officially hate 6R.
7/8/6 21

The bio section was exceptionally difficult, I think.

Things are not looking well...

I did 6R yesterday (my first AAMC) and got 7's all across the board. I had been getting 9's in VR on Kaplan exams, but from what I have heard this is more indicative.
I'm doing 7R today...and sticking to AAMC's (i'm going to do 8 and 9 nxt couple of days).

Foolins

10+ Year Member
May 4, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I dunno if this will make anyone feel better or worse. This is my second time writing the mcat. The first time i wrote it was a while ago...i did so just to shut my parents up. Over the entire summer, i studied for maybe one hour. The night before the mcat, i went on a pubcrawl with friends from work.

Anyway, long story short....i finished each section at least 15 minutes early, because the answers i didn't know, i just blindly guessed on by what sounded like it might be right. I guessed at least 3 questions for every 4 (except in verbal...i ran out of time in verbal though..also ran out of time during the essay part)

Idiot that i am, i didn't realize that checking the "do not release to AAMC" wasn't enough to void your score. Anyway, my scores were 10, 9, 10 O

So even BLIND guessing can earn you a decent score on the mcat. Regardless of what your practice scores are telling you....never factor out luck.
You guys know a lot more than i did then....so it's very likely that you'll get a much higher score than you think.

Jwax

Just a minor variation
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Foolins said:
I dunno if this will make anyone feel better or worse. This is my second time writing the mcat. The first time i wrote it was a while ago...i did so just to shut my parents up. Over the entire summer, i studied for maybe one hour. The night before the mcat, i went on a pubcrawl with friends from work.

Anyway, long story short....i finished each section at least 15 minutes early, because the answers i didn't know, i just blindly guessed on by what sounded like it might be right. I guessed at least 3 questions for every 4 (except in verbal...i ran out of time in verbal though..also ran out of time during the essay part)

Idiot that i am, i didn't realize that checking the "do not release to AAMC" wasn't enough to void your score. Anyway, my scores were 10, 9, 10 O

So even BLIND guessing can earn you a decent score on the mcat. Regardless of what your practice scores are telling you....never factor out luck.
You guys know a lot more than i did then....so it's very likely that you'll get a much higher score than you think.
How funny... even with blind luck, you sitll got one point overall higher than I did on it in April 05. :rolleyes:

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
lytesnsyrens said:
hey anything Aussie style rocks. I just got back from Australia and fell in love with the country. You have an awesome attitude...best of luck to you!

pufferfish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rio
Status
Gatsby14777 said:
I did 6R yesterday (my first AAMC) and got 7's all across the board. I had been getting 9's in VR on Kaplan exams, but from what I have heard this is more indicative.
I'm doing 7R today...and sticking to AAMC's (i'm going to do 8 and 9 nxt couple of days).

6 was rough... i am having a very hard time transitioning from kaplan's FL's to aamc's for some reason, despite the fact they are supposed to be easier to handle... I'm ready to throw in the towel. my sanity is shot, and if I can't handle this, how in he!! am I going to handle boards in medical school? i'm destroyed by the PS section, then the next test it's verbal... oh well :idea: maybe just not for me!!!!

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
ok, today is my last FL before the real thing. Then wednesday and thursday I'll just be going over today's FL and some flash cards (still trying to memorize those physics eq's). Friday is no stress day! I'm not even going to look at any mcat related material, except maybe SDN (or not). C'mon saturday, bring it!

pufferfish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rio
Status
lytesnsyrens said:
ok, today is my last FL before the real thing. Then wednesday and thursday I'll just be going over today's FL and some flash cards (still trying to memorize those physics eq's). Friday is no stress day! I'm not even going to look at any mcat related material, except maybe SDN (or not). C'mon saturday, bring it!

safe travels on your flight :love: and :luck: to all us sub-30's

OP
L

lytesnsyrens

The Phoenix...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
Down Under
www.facebook.com
Status
Non-Student
pufferfish said:
safe travels on your flight :love: and :luck: to all us sub-30's

sub-30s! That's awesome! We have our own club now, do we need a secret handshake? :laugh:

About the Ads