just some help picking schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squiddie

Watch out for the cactus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just want some feed back on my school list and suggestions for schools to add. I'm not applying until June 2009 (for Fall 2010 matriculation).

Basic Stats:
Undergrad: Virginia Tech, Biology + History dual degree
Residency: I can claim both New Jersey and Virginia
cGPA: 3.72
BCPM: 3.8
taking MCAT 8/15/08 (only taken one practice so far, got 12BS, 10PS, 11V)

Work/Volunteering:
- Assistant in the College of Science Dean's Office (secretarial work and preparing for Freshman Orientation)
- I write a blog guiding freshmen through their first year of college
- Alternative Spring Break: Katrina Relief in Mississippi (demolition and construction!)
- Summer Intern in 2007 at a Same Day Surgery center (assisted with pre-op, observed several minor surgeries, shadowed surgeons, and 2 anesthesiologists)
- Timer for Wheelchair Track and Field meets

Clubs + Organizations:
- Biology and Pre-Med Honor societies (Phi Sigma and Alpha Epsilon Delta, respectively)
- student member of the American Society for Microbiology
- Microbiology Club (currently the treasurer and will be until I graduate--it's a permanent position in our club)
- Dean's Leadership Council (volunteer at various university events, I generally work at admissions events and counsel prospective students)

My current list of schools, in no particular order other than how they're bookmarked in my web browser -- I plan on entering the HPSP program, in either Army or Navy:
- Uniformed Services University (first choice)
- Baylor
- Eastern Virginia Medical School
- George Washington
- Louisville
- Pitt
- UT-Houston
- Tulane
- Kentucky
- Tennessee - Memphis
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- UVa
- Vanderbilt
- VCU
- UT-San Antonio
- Wake Forest
- Temple
- Maryland
- Emory
- UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson (not NJMC though...really hate Newark)

Anyone have any suggestion as to what to add or cut? I really have no interest in doing research so I know some of these schools are going to have to go.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I'm pathetic, but I'm bumping this.

Without an MCAT score, it is going to be difficult. That will definitely be the clincher in compiling a list. Although you have taken one practice test, many students tend to deviate quite a bit.

From the look of your profile though, it looks like you need some clinical volunteer experiences - the longer-term they are, the better.

Thanks for the insight. As of right now, like I said, I've got the internship I had last summer (unpaid...so I'm listing that as volunteer work on resumes and the like), which was about 100 hours. I'm trying to get time in with my godfather (forensic psychologist) and a good family friend (OB-gyn) for clinical experience, but with summer classes and work right now, I've been sleeping + studying for the MCAT when I'm not doing one or the other.