Just some thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangezero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently started to read a little bit on here, after reading quite a bit on odwire.org.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the mean optometrists on ODwire and how we are all bent out of shape because of all the new grads and their "silly" ideas.

One of the problem is that no one really has direct control over how many ODs graduate every year. The schools are not going to be the ones to do it, if they can squeeze one more student in each class, thats just extra money to them.

I would think it might not be a bad idea to bring this up while talking with the schools. If nothing else, it would show how interested you are in the profession. We need active, involved future optometrists.

And also remember, if you become an optometrist, as soon as you get out school you will be one of us bad guys complaining that there are too many new grads competing for jobs and patients.

I wish I had the vast amount of information available now before I applied to school. I still may have done the same, as most professions have problems. However, your idealized view of optometry and its place in the world will definitely be changed, for good or bad.

Members don't see this ad.

orangezero said:
I've recently started to read a little bit on here, after reading quite a bit on odwire.org.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the mean optometrists on ODwire and how we are all bent out of shape because of all the new grads and their "silly" ideas.

One of the problem is that no one really has direct control over how many ODs graduate every year. The schools are not going to be the ones to do it, if they can squeeze one more student in each class, thats just extra money to them.

I would think it might not be a bad idea to bring this up while talking with the schools. If nothing else, it would show how interested you are in the profession. We need active, involved future optometrists.

And also remember, if you become an optometrist, as soon as you get out school you will be one of us bad guys complaining that there are too many new grads competing for jobs and patients.

I wish I had the vast amount of information available now before I applied to school. I still may have done the same, as most professions have problems. However, your idealized view of optometry and its place in the world will definitely be changed, for good or bad.

I agree. The best way to regulate the number of new ODs is through the schools. The best way to get through to the schools are the students such as the SGA. If ODwire and other optometrists have a good connection with OD students, then maybe students and students govts can have direct pressure on individual schools about 'oversupply'. If your own students start complaining about the potential job market, schools will have to listen.

The AOA is too busy fighting OMDs, so we can't count on them!