Just Starting Out: Any Advice on Applying to SGU, ROSS, etc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LittleBUDofDale

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All,

I'm planning on applying to SGU, ROSS, AUC, and SABA for Jan. 2010. Any suggestions on how I can make myself a more impressive applicant?

BACKGROUND: Recently graduated with honors (3.4) from a small (but respected) liberal arts college, earning a B.A. in economics.

TO DO LIST: Unfortunately, I still have a full year of organic chemistry, physics, and a semester of biology coursework to complete before I am able to submit any applications. I was planning on completing these requirements at the local C.C. (due to lack of funds). Will this be frowned upon?

EMPLOYMENT: Surgical Assistant (Jan. 2008 - Present) at an esteemed hospital in Illinois (I have received great evaluations, and a physician has volunteered to serve as a reference).

EXTRACURRICULARS: Very involved at my undergraduate institution. Not so much at the moment. I plan on turning that around.

MCAT: Currently prepping (as much as I can). Will take in May 2009, and again in Sept. if needed.

I may be way ahead of myself, but I like to be prepared. Are there any dos and don’ts that I should be aware of while going through the application process? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks much!

regards,
.LB.
 
Its too early to start thinking about Caribbeans. You gpa right now is fine for any four of the schools. I would try to do well in orgo, and physics. That is 18 credits right there. You can easily bring your gpa close to 3.6. a 30+ mcat and you can stay in the US. School dont care when you took your classes, just that you took them. I would also consider taking Bio chem and research if you are apply to US schools, no Caribbean school requires bio chem and research though.
 
a817,

The reason I'm applying to the Caribbean schools isn't because I'm afraid of getting rejected by U.S. schools (although my numbers aren't that impressive ), but because of the application timeline. If I take the MCAT in May, I will have to sit on my hands for over a year before starting up. If I apply to the Caribbean, I could probably receive acceptance into the Sept. or Jan. classes which would allow me not to sit around for 8-12 months.

This may be foolish and I may be impatient, but if the TOP 4 and the U.S. Schools take you to the same place I don't really care which school I attend.

All in all, I want to practice medicine. I have a wide range of interests and will probably be happy with any specialty I end up in.

That being said, both of my parents attended Illinois medical schools, and have been skeptical about my desire to become a pirate.

Thanks for the advice!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
a817,

The reason I'm applying to the Caribbean schools isn't because I'm afraid of getting rejected by U.S. schools (although my numbers aren't that impressive ), but because of the application timeline. If I take the MCAT in May, I will have to sit on my hands for over a year before starting up. If I apply to the Caribbean, I could probably receive acceptance into the Sept. or Jan. classes which would allow me not to sit around for 8-12 months.

This may be foolish and I may be impatient, but if the TOP 4 and the U.S. Schools take you to the same place I don't really care which school I attend.

All in all, I want to practice medicine. I have a wide range of interests and will probably be happy with any specialty I end up in.

That being said, both of my parents attended Illinois medical schools, and have been skeptical about my desire to become a pirate.

Thanks for the advice!

My point is take it one step at a time, do not think of i want to get in asap, what will it take to get into ROSS etc. Your job is to make your self the best applicant you can be. You have an opportunity to show adcom what type of applicant you are since you have barely taken any science courses, so your science gpa is still up in the air.

Dont rush anything, you will regret it later, dont rush the mcat just because you want to save 8 months in your life. I know for sure even if you go to the january class in sgu, you start your residency 4 and a half later, so you will end up starting residency with the same people who started school 8 months latter, anyway. I am not sure if the same is true about ross, auc, saba.

Your goal right now is do well in orgo, physics, and bio. Then it is doing well on mcat. Your goal is not getting in right now because you are far away from that situation. Take it step by step cant stress it enough. It is a marathon not a race

Take it from someone who has done that mistake. I was so wrapped up in getting admission to med school this year, that i rushed and took the mcat in january of this year instead of may or june. I didnt get the score that was competitive for admissions (26). I got lucky that my gpa was decent and was granted admissions to sgu, and osteopathic schools. If i had to do it again. I would have taken the mcat in the summer and applied this year. Getting into a US allopathic school should be your first goal. Caribbean is a backup if things didn't fall your way like a gpa or mcat.
 
Thanks for the thoughts.

I guess I am getting ahead of myself.

I'll do my best in the pre-reqs., the MCAT, and continue to search for information on these forums.

In about a year I'll have a much clearer picture on what schools I have a shot at (U.S., or not). I'll try to be patient.

Any suggestions on any upper-level biology electives that I could take that might be helpful with the MCAT, or would you recommend that I just do the bare minimum (1-2 semesters) and study Kaplan, E.C., etc. hard-core?

Also, are there any extracurriculars that may stand out? I have two jobs (hospital, teaching) but am willing to make the time.

Thanks again!
 
Thanks for the thoughts.

I guess I am getting ahead of myself.

I'll do my best in the pre-reqs., the MCAT, and continue to search for information on these forums.

In about a year I'll have a much clearer picture on what schools I have a shot at (U.S., or not). I'll try to be patient.

Any suggestions on any upper-level biology electives that I could take that might be helpful with the MCAT, or would you recommend that I just do the bare minimum (1-2 semesters) and study Kaplan, E.C., etc. hard-core?

Also, are there any extracurriculars that may stand out? I have two jobs (hospital, teaching) but am willing to make the time.

Thanks again!

It always nice to have upper level classes, bio chem is almost a must if you want to try for allopathic schools in the US. i would also look into research many schools look favorably on that. If you are from Illinois, you have 6 state schools. Granted North Western dosent have a huge state preference, but it is still a good state to be a resident of.
 
All,

I'm planning on applying to SGU, ROSS, AUC, and SABA for Jan. 2010. Any suggestions on how I can make myself a more impressive applicant?

BACKGROUND: Recently graduated with honors (3.4) from a small (but respected) liberal arts college, earning a B.A. in economics.

TO DO LIST: Unfortunately, I still have a full year of organic chemistry, physics, and a semester of biology coursework to complete before I am able to submit any applications. I was planning on completing these requirements at the local C.C. (due to lack of funds). Will this be frowned upon?

EMPLOYMENT: Surgical Assistant (Jan. 2008 - Present) at an esteemed hospital in Illinois (I have received great evaluations, and a physician has volunteered to serve as a reference).

EXTRACURRICULARS: Very involved at my undergraduate institution. Not so much at the moment. I plan on turning that around.

MCAT: Currently prepping (as much as I can). Will take in May 2009, and again in Sept. if needed.

I may be way ahead of myself, but I like to be prepared. Are there any dos and don’ts that I should be aware of while going through the application process? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks much!

regards,
.LB.

I agree with a817. Your GPA is fine and I am sure your MCAT will be fine. Carribean schools feed off of desperate pre-meds, which is why they can charge an arm and a leg for tuition (SGU). I have a friend who was accepted to Ross and the fee to hold a place in class is $1000 and its non-refundable. She is having second thoughts about going and she officially lost all that money. Just try your best and get into a US school and you will be happy.
Take Care
 
The CC will not be a problem.

Try to get a 4.0 and see if you can squueze in to a US school first. That means a 30+ MCAT and TRUST me that you would rather sacrifice now and get into a US school b/c even though the 4 good carib scools are a valid route, they are far more difficult.
 
What makes the top 4 more difficult?

There are in better situation with getting federal loans (except saba), and you are allowed to practice in all 50 states, therefor are more desirable and competitive due to more applicants.
 
In case you were asking what makes the Carib route more difficult, it comes down to a lack of support and a sink or swim mentality on the part of the admin and profs.

Some are great but most think we need to constantly proves ourselves to toughen us up for post-island life.
 
You might be able to get into school in the US. You have decent credentials. You should talk to an advisor about how to strengthen your application. These people are great.

aspireadmissionsconsultants.com

They helped me get in...
 
You should consider trying for a US school.
If you rock your premed requirements I think you'd have a shot. I advise you not to take your science classes at a community college. The med schools want to know you can do med school level work...so fork over the tuition for classes at a university, such as your local 4 year state U, at least. They don't care that you are broke. Remember, the goal is to get in to medical school, and if it costs you a few thousand more, then so be it. You need to rock your science courses and get a good MCAT score.