just the basic pre-req's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarriSeldon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've noticed that most medical schools reccomend taking biochem and genetics in addition to the the basics. So, my question is: With all other things being equal (gpa, bcmp, MCAT, decent LOR's and EC's) to the average admit at a particular school, will the adcom look down on me because I only have the basic pre-req's (bio, gen. chem, o. chem, phys, cal)?

I did a search but couldn't really find anything dealing w/ this particular issue, so I appologise if this has been posted before.

Thanks for your time and have a good one,
A.

ps. I'm only interested in how this plays in the admissions process, not how I would do on the MCAT and in Med School.

Members don't see this ad.

You only need the pre-reqs not having something not required will not affect you in any way in terms of getting in.

That said, there are a significant number of schools that are starting to require (not just recommned) biochem and/or genetics. So get/borrow an MSAR and look at the specific requirements of schools you think you might be interested in before you make a decision to skip biochem/genetics.

Oh, and I really wouldn't call calc a core pre-req. Vastly more schools don't require it than do.