just the basic pre-req's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HarriSeldon

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I've noticed that most medical schools reccomend taking biochem and genetics in addition to the the basics. So, my question is: With all other things being equal (gpa, bcmp, MCAT, decent LOR's and EC's) to the average admit at a particular school, will the adcom look down on me because I only have the basic pre-req's (bio, gen. chem, o. chem, phys, cal)?

I did a search but couldn't really find anything dealing w/ this particular issue, so I appologise if this has been posted before.

Thanks for your time and have a good one,
A.

ps. I'm only interested in how this plays in the admissions process, not how I would do on the MCAT and in Med School.
 
You only need the pre-reqs not having something not required will not affect you in any way in terms of getting in.
 
That said, there are a significant number of schools that are starting to require (not just recommned) biochem and/or genetics. So get/borrow an MSAR and look at the specific requirements of schools you think you might be interested in before you make a decision to skip biochem/genetics.

Oh, and I really wouldn't call calc a core pre-req. Vastly more schools don't require it than do.