Just throw out a number

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superso

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I hoped you could give me your expert opinions. Ok, here are the stats, just suggest a number of schools b/c i don't have a clue as to how many I should apply to

1) 3.65 gpa, double major bio/history - 27 mcat, 27 mcat
(should never have taken it the second time but no advice = bad advice)

2)just took it again now and i was getting 30-34 + on all aamc tests

3) Lots of extra c's (conventional stuff and some good ones), awesome personal statement

I don't expect to get in anywhere since august mcat scores will come in so late anyhow, but I figure I'll try, can't hurt right?

How many to apply to? Just throw out a number

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say ten. Apply to five you really want to go to and five safety schools who have low numbers for matriculants.

20-30. getting into ny is fairly difficult if that is your state of residence...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the cash, you may as well apply to all 126 U.S. schools, and two or three in Canada.

But seriously, a number is irrelevant without considering the quality and average stats of the schools. If you're from NY, I would suggest applying to all of the SUNY schools, NYMC, MSSM, NYU, and a number of mid to lower tier out-of-state privates and publics that accept out-of-state applicants. Apply to a range of schools, throw in a few reaches, and dont be afraid to go into a little debt for these applications - you're going to graduate with a whole lot more.

You should be fine with 15 tops. I have the same GPA as you, Bio/Lit majors, and a 26Q on the MCAT, and I applied to 11. Will apply to about 5 more after Aug. scores come in. Good luck!

superso said:
Hey everyone, I hoped you could give me your expert opinions. Ok, here are the stats, just suggest a number of schools b/c i don't have a clue as to how many I should apply to

1) 3.65 gpa, double major bio/history - 27 mcat, 27 mcat
(should never have taken it the second time but no advice = bad advice)

2)just took it again now and i was getting 30-34 + on all aamc tests

3) Lots of extra c's (conventional stuff and some good ones), awesome personal statement

I don't expect to get in anywhere since august mcat scores will come in so late anyhow, but I figure I'll try, can't hurt right?

How many to apply to? Just throw out a number

Thanks! :thumbup:

42 .. always a 42

thanks! i think i know how much ill apply now. whats 42?

42 is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the universe and everything.

apply to as many as you can afford (every secondary is $$) and also think if you'll be able to fly for an interview if offered.

I know that I am not far enough along in this process to give you the best advice since I applied to around 30 schools and clearly, its too early to know how I will fair, but if you would like to be sane or remotely happy apply to around 20 and 25 at the maximum. I only have one medschool instate which is a factor, so take advantage of instate residency and apply to more instate and fewer overall.

Bubchik said:
apply to as many as you can afford (every secondary is $$) and also think if you'll be able to fly for an interview if offered.
Try to stick to the number you can afford though. I can tell you from experience that the financial aid packages make no allowances for consumer debt, no matter what you bough with your credit. In addition to the whole interview process, which cost me about $4,000 from start to finish for 10 schools (I had to do a lot of flying), you have to be able to afford to move your belongings. I spent about $2,000 for a moving truck and gas. Then you'll have to be able to support yourself for about a month while your waiting for your financial aid package to be allocated to your account.
The moral of the story is keep it within reason, and if your not fully ready this year, wait till next. A trial application is an extravigant waste of money that you'll probably regret later.

******edit******
I realized after I posted this that it sounds like I took out all this debt. Actually I paid for everything from savings, but I'm doing my budget right now. I took out the full amount for financial aid and it's pretty tight. I don't know how anyone could make a substantial payment and still stay afloat financially.