Just took my DAT, and please help me with my school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toofh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Boston
2. Buffalo
3. Case Western
4. Columbia
5. Creighton
6. UCSF
7. University of Pacific
8. USC
9. Virginia Commonwealth
10. Western
11. Detroit Mercy
12. Michigan
13. Midwestern
14. Nova
15. NYU
16. Indiana
17. Louisville
18. Marquette
19. Maryland
20. Penn
21. Pittsburgh
22. Tufts

I just took my DAT for the second time. Here are my scores:
PAT 21, QR 20, RC 18, Bio 20, GC 25, OC 22, TS 22, AA 21
First time scores:
PAT 18, QR 21, RC 15, Bio 22, GC 22, OC 23 ( I did not record my TS and AA).

GPA: 3.80 cGPA and a 3.69 sGPA.

EC
-leadership positions in three clubs (I am the co-founder of one of the student organizations)
-around 100 volunteering hours (nursing home visits, tutoring kids and high school students)
- around 100 shadowing hours in three different places (Two private practices and one hospital clinic), so I saw a good variety of different treatments.
- one semester of being a research assistant (I did not do anything significant here, just helped my supervisor to get data by performing a simple experiment)
- a good recommendation from a dentist, and two letters from my professors.

Background: I am a biology major at a top 20 school. I am a NY permanent resident, but not a citizen. I am an Asian male, and I am from a socioeconomically disadvantaged family.

I posted the same thread before, but most people suggested me to re-post it after my DAT. I know this might be too many schools to apply to. Please tell me what schools I should remove. Budget is not a problem since I have been saving money for this cycle. However, I still want to apply wisely. I am happy to go to any schools, so no preference for any specific types of schools.

My only concern is my RC score. Even my second RC is above the reported cutoff 17, I still think it it too low to be considered competitive. My first 15 and second 18 definitely show my weakness in English. This is somehow true since English is my second language, but I have been doing very well in all of my English and writing-based classes. Do you guys the other parts of my application can compensate my weakness in English?

Members don't see this ad.

Great GPA and DAT scores (your RC scores are absolutely fine...). I feel like you should minimize your list and think about applying to schools that give in-state residency after a year or so..i.e rutgers).

good luck

Great GPA and DAT scores (your RC scores are absolutely fine...). I feel like you should minimize your list and think about applying to schools that give in-state residency after a year or so..i.e rutgers).

good luck
What schools do you think I should take out? This is very good to know! Are there any schools like Rutgers? The only similar school that I know is Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone's going to ding you for an 18 RC. You can drop USC, unless you're just dying to go to school in Cali. TBH, 22 schools seems a bit much with your rap sheet.

Drop your # 2 4 9 and 15

Schools.

Go to the other schools you have listed.

NYU and Columbia student enrollment is a majority of OOS applicants

But my man, mista toofh,

Your list is way to long!

You got good stats,

Why the long list, geez

Members don't see this ad :)
But my man, mista toofh,

Your list is way to long!

You got good stats,

Why the long list, geez
This is definitely not my final list, so I really need help to shorten it. I was trying to maximizing my chance because I was sacred of my RC score before I re-took the DAT.

This is definitely not my final list, so I really need help to shorten it. I was trying to maximizing my chance because I was sacred of my RC score before I re-took the DAT.

Do you want local or OOS school?

If you want local then apply to all NY schools and the tri-state

You got the scores to compete.

I don't think anyone's going to ding you for an 18 RC. You can drop USC, unless you're just dying to go to school in Cali. TBH, 22 schools seems a bit much with your rap sheet.
What about University of Pacific? I used to think it is a out of state friendly school, but my friend said it is not.

With your GPA and DAT, unless you are half-***ing your PS and getting bad LORS, you could save money and apply to less schools. Add Ohio, and I know it is super competitive, but also add Stony Brook. You can't beat that in-state tuition.
Here is my personal list
2. Buffalo
3. Case Western
4. Columbia
5. Creighton
6. UCSF
7. University of Pacific
9. Virginia Commonwealth
11. Detroit Mercy
12. Michigan
15. NYU
16. Indiana
17. Louisville
18. Marquette
19. Maryland
21. Pittsburgh

I removed schools that the COA would exceed 400k except for UoP (I might have missed some schools, since I don't have the guide book anymore). Also, please consider the location and the weather.

Last edited:
Unless you are genuinely interested in applying to more, I think 12 schools should be more than enough for you.

With your GPA and DAT, unless you are half-***ing your PS and getting bad LORS, you could save money and apply to less schools. Add Ohio, and I know it is super competitive, but also add Stony Brook. You can't beat that in-state tuition.
Here is my personal list
2. Buffalo
3. Case Western
4. Columbia
5. Creighton
6. UCSF
7. University of Pacific
9. Virginia Commonwealth
11. Detroit Mercy
12. Michigan
15. NYU
16. Indiana
17. Louisville
18. Marquette
19. Maryland
21. Pittsburgh

I removed schools that the COA would exceed 400k except for UoP (I might have missed some schools, since I don't have the guide book anymore). Also, please consider the location and the weather.

I am a little confused about UCSF and UoP. I used to think they are out of state friendly schools, but some one told me they are not. Can you please confirm that?

Unless you are genuinely interested in applying to more, I think 12 schools should be more than enough for you.
What do you think about laughinggas's list? I think it is pretty reasonable expect I am not so sure if UCSF and UoP are out of state friendly.
2. Buffalo
3. Case Western
4. Columbia
5. Creighton
6. UCSF
7. University of Pacific
9. Virginia Commonwealth
11. Detroit Mercy
12. Michigan
15. NYU
16. Indiana
17. Louisville
18. Marquette
19. Maryland
21. Pittsburgh

I'll be honest and say I'm not the most knowledgeable about individual school choices. I'm not sure about UCSF, but I applied to UoP last year OOS (and got an interview)--I think you have a good shot there.

I like that list. You can still get rid of a few schools on it that you aren't crazy about, though! :D

In 2013, UoP enrolled 35 OOS students/141 total. They had 1910 OOS applicants, yielding an OOS acceptance rate of ~1.8%, which is about average for OOS admissions, AFAIK. The COA will set you back over $300K, so there's that as well. Since it's only 3 years, one could argue that the cost is offset by an extra year in the workforce. I had considered recommending taking it off your list along with USC, but I realized that there's enough pro/con material that it's a judgement call you'll have to make after weighing the options.

If I was in your shoes, here are some schools I would have at the top of my list:

Your I.S. Public Schools
1. Buffalo
2. Stony Brook

Your "Reach"
3. Columbia

The East Coast Publics
4. UConn
5. VCU
6. Pittsburgh
7. Rutgers

The "Privates"
8. NYU
9. Boston

10-XX: Whatever floats your boat.

So this list keeps you close to home, and is weighted in favor of public universities, which are typically more affordable. UConn and Rutgers grant I.S. tuition after the first year, supposedly. I didn't dig through each school's COA, so I'm working off of generalizations. You need to take a measured approach to generating your list. Don't just list places that you'd like to live in. Have a clear idea of what it is you want.

Source: 2014 ADEA Guide

Reactions: 1 user
In 2013, UoP enrolled 35 OOS students/141 total. They had 1910 OOS applicants, yielding an OOS acceptance rate of ~1.8%, which is about average for OOS admissions, AFAIK. The COA will set you back over $300K, so there's that as well. Since it's only 3 years, one could argue that the cost is offset by an extra year in the workforce. I had considered recommending taking it off your list along with USC, but I realized that there's enough pro/con material that it's a judgement call you'll have to make after weighing the options.

If I was in your shoes, here are some schools I would have at the top of my list:

Your I.S. Public Schools
1. Buffalo
2. Stony Brook

Your "Reach"
3. Columbia

The East Coast Publics
4. UConn
5. VCU
6. Pittsburgh
7. Rutgers

The "Privates"
8. NYU
9. Boston

10-XX: Whatever floats your boat.

So this list keeps you close to home, and is weighted in favor of public universities, which are typically more affordable. UConn and Rutgers grant I.S. tuition after the first year, supposedly. I didn't dig through each school's COA, so I'm working off of generalizations. You need to take a measured approach to generating your list. Don't just list places that you'd like to live in. Have a clear idea of what it is you want.

Source: 2014 ADEA Guide
This is a great list, thank you !