Just Took My DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RU1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. I just took my DAT. I did poorly on the perceptual, but the other sections were okay. Here are my scores
PA:14. QR: 19. RC: 20. BIO: 17. GC: 20. OC: 20. TS: 18 AA: 19
I was wondering what you guys would do in my situation. I was going to apply to UMDNJ, NYU, Tufts, Boston, Temple, VCU, Howard, Meharry, Arizona, Roseman, Western, Midwestern IL/AZ, Colorado, Marquette, Louisville, and Creighton. What do you guys think? I have an overall gpa of 3.7 and a science of 3.6. I did a UMDNJ Summer Program, Shadowed a dentist for 125 hours, did research at UMDNJ, volunteered, had a lot of leadership experience, and work at a hospital. Im also a Bio major graduating in 3 years. Let me know any advice you have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're only a sophomore? you still have time. If I were you I would retake when you're ready. Use Crack DAT PAT, get plenty of practice, bring your score up. Your extracurricular looks great, but for some schools, the PAT is really important. I would wait and apply next year. Most people don't get accepted without a bachelor's anyway.

I'm not sure but that PAT score may make acceptance to dental school pretty hard. Not to say it is impossible. Based on this thread it is certainly possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely retake because of pat & bio sections

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Hey guys.. I just took my DAT. I did poorly on the perceptual, but the other sections were okay. Here are my scores
I was wondering what you guys would do in my situation. I was going to apply to UMDNJ, NYU, Tufts, Boston, Temple, VCU, Howard, Meharry, Arizona, Roseman, Western, Midwestern IL/AZ, Colorado, Marquette, Louisville, and Creighton. What do you guys think? I have an overall gpa of 3.7 and a science of 3.6. I did a UMDNJ Summer Program, Shadowed a dentist for 125 hours, did research at UMDNJ, volunteered, had a lot of leadership experience, and work at a hospital. Im also a Bio major graduating in 3 years. Let me know any advice you have. Thanks!

Although your gpa is really good, your pat score is too low and your TS is slightly below avg. I would say go for a retake.

I'm graduating in 3 years though, so this would be my last year in college coming up... Do you guys think that I stand a chance at any schools? And I didn't think my Biology score was too bad, until you just brought it up. Will that hurt me as well?

You can always retake in October and still apply this cycle. I got a 16 in Bio my first time taking the DAT and heard from several schools that it was too low. That was two years ago. So 17 in Bio is probably right on the cut off for some schools and they also expect you to do well in Bio anyways.

I believe your 14 PAT score is just too low. I think you need to retake in order to be competitive. Everything else looks good, though. Best of luck.:thumbup:

Retake the DAT and apply next year.

:/ There goes applying this year. Would you guys even apply this cycle?

GPA is great, but again GPA has so many variables i don't want to get into.

I would retake. I doubt the 18 TS is that big a deal given your high science GPA. what kills you is your PAT score. A 14 won't cut it. I know a few schools have a PAT cut off at 16.

if it weren't for that PAT score you'd be competitive. It's pretty easy to improve that particular section. Study for a bit and retake then you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you say you are graduating in 3 years how is this your last year of college coming up? Will you be a senior starting in August?

I'll be a Junior starting in August, and this is going to be my last year... Do you guys think I have a chance at any schools though even despite my PAT? I mean, the sciences and the AA are pretty solid. Is the PAT really going to hold me back from any acceptance?
And biology was really all over the place. I had everything, a bunch of stuff I didn't even really understand what they were talking about honestly.

PAT is just to low...I would sit this one out but up to you!

I mean according to the ADEA 2012 book, there's some people that get in with 13's and 2.8 gpa's and whatnot, based on the ranges listed in the book. I don't see why if I scored poorly in one section then it should negate everything else? Unless I'm not thinking right.

No you right, If you are URM and I believe you are then you may just may have a shot...especially with your gpa. But non URM won't even get glanced at with that PAT

I think you could sneak in somewhere with what you have.

Hello, I just took my american DAT today and here are the following Scores
PA 21
QR 20
RC 21
BIO 17
GC 20
OC 20
Total science 19
Academic average 20

Overall GPA 3.3
Science GPA 3.3

Grad GPA 4.0

Should I re-write, i am only concerned with the outcome of my BIO mark. Any thoughts?

Hello, I just took my american DAT today and here are the following Scores
PA 21
QR 20
RC 21
BIO 17
GC 20
OC 20
Total science 19
Academic average 20

Overall GPA 3.3
Science GPA 3.3

Grad GPA 4.0

Should I re-write, i am only concerned with the outcome of my BIO mark. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
@liron: Way to take over my thread and show off your scores, even though we were talking about me doing poorly on my DAT. And I don't understand how our science scores individually are the same, but our total science scores come out to be different. That's just ridiculous to me how the scoring works! Sorry, but just went on a little rant... Glad to see that you did well. You should be fine with what you have.
@perio: I am URM. I check off African American on my applications/scholarships/citizenship, etc. So that does place me in that applicant pool. Do you think that gives me a shot?
@jeff: I'm really curious why you think a little differently than the rest of the people on this thread. It makes me a bit happier, but if you could just explain for me, that'd be great. PM me if possible please...

I'm still lost why you would be applying this year... If you are going to be a junior next year, that would mean that you would skip your senior year and not receive your undergraduate?

I would hold off on applying this year, study your ass off this summer and take it again in September or so. Finish up your junior year, then apply in the summer before your senior year. This way you can go to your interviews during your senior year, receive your undergraduate, and then start school after that. Am I missing something here?

Haha yeah. I'm currently going into my junior year, which would be my last year. And yeah, I'm doing pretty well as my gpa indicates. So I would be going to interviews my junior year, ready to finish undergraduate that last year.

I mean according to the ADEA 2012 book, there's some people that get in with 13's and 2.8 gpa's and whatnot, based on the ranges listed in the book. I don't see why if I scored poorly in one section then it should negate everything else? Unless I'm not thinking right.

a 14 PAT is something like getting a hard score ~1/3

it's not the perfect comparison but if you got 33% in one of your prerequisites wouldn't you need to retake it?

if you get in with a 14 we'd laud and talk about your accomplishment, but it's because it'd be an exceptional and rare thing, like the 13s and 2.8s

despite this, if money's not an issue just apply everywhere, 'cause a slim chance is better than no chance

You're an URM so that helps. Study your ass off and retake ASAP (beginning of October). You still have a chance for this cycle if you can show significant improvement on the DAT.

@Agb: I thought schools only consider my application once? So wouldn't I have to tell the schools that I'm retaking before they take a look at my current scores? And I really don't know about the beginning of October, it's just a tough time to take the exam with school starting up again. I'm not even sure if that would still place me in this cycle "realistically", even though I know technically it still would. But I know most interviews are already booked by then until December/January, when classes are filled.
@Yellow: What percentage are we talking when we say "slim chance"? Money is always an issue, but I don't want to put a year off just because of that. Regardless, I'm going to be in loans in dental school tuition, so I mean it doesn't make sense to hold out on this if there is still a decent shot.

sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, I am new to the site and didn't realize I can begin a new one, I did that tho, and i apologize.
Best of luck!

@Agb: I thought schools only consider my application once? So wouldn't I have to tell the schools that I'm retaking before they take a look at my current scores? And I really don't know about the beginning of October, it's just a tough time to take the exam with school starting up again. I'm not even sure if that would still place me in this cycle "realistically", even though I know technically it still would. But I know most interviews are already booked by then until December/January, when classes are filled.
@Yellow: What percentage are we talking when we say "slim chance"? Money is always an issue, but I don't want to put a year off just because of that. Regardless, I'm going to be in loans in dental school tuition, so I mean it doesn't make sense to hold out on this if there is still a decent shot.

99.9% of schools won't accept you with a 14 on the PAT. Re-study, re-take and you will succeed!

It can't hurt to apply to a few select schools this cycle and give it a shot, even if it is a long-shot. I don't know if I would give you the same advice if you weren't an URM.

Any way, you can complete your application besides the DAT scores. Don't submit to AADSAS the DAT scores you just had, and then if you decide to retake in October then your application can be considered ASAP with your newer scores.

If you don't think you're capable of handling a retake in October with school starting up again that's a valid concern but a personal decision you must make. I do know that your chances of getting in this cycle with applying now and not retaking are fairly minimal because of PA cutoffs. Taking a year off may not be the worst thing in the world, either.

Guys, I think I'm going to apply with the scores that I currently have. I really don't have anything to lose except the application money, and for some reason I feel that I may be able to get in with the scores that I have, being that the PA is really the only glaring factor in my application. (19AA 18TS 14PA 17BIO 20GC 20OC 20RC 19QR.) I'm going to apply to about 20 schools and see if I can get interviews/acceptances at any of them. So far I have AZ, Midwestern AZ, Western, Howard, Midwestern IL, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, Boston, Minnesota, UMDNJ, NYU, Case Western, Temple, Meharry, VCU, and Marquette. What other schools should I add? I"m debating Loma Linda, UCSF, Colorado, Nova, Detroit Mercy, and Oklahoma. Any suggestions?

i think your major problem is your Bio score
UOP said that they do not care about people's pat score (they even take people with 12)
your bio score is the one that might affect you greatly so...retake it~
you still have time ~ good luck

I'm not going to have time to retake in time for this cycle (my retake would have to be October 3rd, which is very late). I applied with these scores to AZ, Midwestern AZ/IL, Western, Coloardo, Howard, Nova, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, Boston, Mercy, Minnesota, UMDNJ, NYU, Case Western, Oklahoma, Temple, Meharry, VCU, and Marquette. I'm not sure if I stand a chance at any of these schools? What do you guys think?

Well it doesn't matter what we think anymore since you pulled the trigger. Keep us posted!

Do you still think I can get into one of these?

Don't listen to anyone on here...

You applied and now you wait. you'll be fine.

Everyone focuses on the stories where someone had great scores and didn't get in... just look at the averages.

If there is an average of 19 for total science for most schools that means there were PLENTY of applicants with a 18TS or 18AA that got accepted.

we're all fine.

Well definitely keep you guys posted. And you're absolutely right, which is the main reason I decided to apply. After looking at the ADEA book and seeing the various ranges and averages of the schools, I figured there had to be students that were accepted in my situation as well. If a range goes up to a 26, then that means there should be people on the lower end of the stick since the average is a 19 or 20. That's just how I thought of it... Not sure how well my thought process is. Which ones do you think I have the best shot at?