Just took oral board exam: Holy $@&!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
examiner - "The patients CVP is normal. Is that an accurate assessment of fluid status?"
me - "I prefer to follow trends in the CVP..." Wrong

DHB has a subtle yet great point.

Question: CVP ... Is that an accurate assessment of fluid status?
Answer: is either yes or no and your reasoning.

Sucks missing points simply because you do not answer the questions that is asked!
Need to listen to the question carefully then respond. Last thing you want to do is annoy a board examiner!

[link removed]

Hey thanks for that advice. It's really helpful. If you have any other POST EXAM advice about any other theoretical made up situations, please let us know.

One question about your course, which I see you added the link to several days after original post to try and sneak past moderator attention. If I pay you thousands of dollars at this point after the exam is already over, will it improve my chances of passing? I suppose that if I paid you the big bucks, I could probably get away with giving sux to a 2 year old duchennes patient with massive burns and still pass right? Is that the kind of boards magic we are talking about?

Listen, I didn't ask for advice. If I failed, then next year I will not sign up for any courses or ask advice. I will study the same exact way and pray that I don't get sodomized like this year. The questions I was asked in the second stem would be impossible to have prepared for. I'm not saying that in denial or frustration, but after hundreds of hours of self eval.

Members don't see this ad.

The ABA portal is down now. Scores back today or tomorrow?

The ABA Online Portal will be undergoing maintenance on Monday, October 29.

If you have any questions, please contact the ABA Communications Center at (866) 999-7501.

Good luck guys and gals... I think at this point I was checking 3-4 times a day. :)

Hope y'all get great news. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
The ABA portal is down now. Scores back today or tomorrow?

The ABA Online Portal will be undergoing maintenance on Monday, October 29.

If you have any questions, please contact the ABA Communications Center at (866) 999-7501.

Down for maintenance is code for we don't want you to look up all your friends and page them in the middle of a big case with either a congratulations, or worse the more distracting I am sorry that your still a candidate...

The way they do things is so wrong. They make you wait for weeks when in reality, they could probably tell you before you stand up to walk out of the room. And I don't care what is said about curving things and statistical analysis. I'm pretty sure that each scoring sheet has two big pictures. One big thumbs up which takes up a third of the sheet and one big thumbs down, which also takes up a third of the sheet. The last third of the sheet is to take notes. Those notes are then used out at the bar in whatever awesome city they happen to schedule our torture in.

The stories probably start out with "you'll never guess what this dumb***** said about my question on anesthesia in a submarine" or "I wish I could have taken a picture of the look on that poor SOBs face when I asked about the O2 dissociation curve on a space station."

And the results..... of the 2012 Fall oral board exam..... are...................................

available in several more weeks. "HAHAHAHA.... Look at that Dr. (insert text author), those dumb*****es fell for the old SITE MAINTENANCE routine!!"

They usually update it, then notify the examinees so that they can log in to check their status. They block out everyone else so that people are not checking on their friends and delivering the news before they get a chance to check it themselves. The results are usually posted much sooner than the time they tell you to expect them, so this may be the real thing this week.

Board Certified!!! Thank you all for the support and good luck to everyone out there. Hopefully this post will help people have some peace of mind in the future.

Passing the orals was a big rush for me. My joy was amplified because I failed the orals on my first attempt. Focused practice made all the difference for me. If you did not pass the orals shoot me a pm. It is not the end of the world and life does go on.

All the best,

Cambie

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed!!! So relieved. The last few weeks I did a pretty good job convincing myself I failed. Yay!!! :)

Congrats. Now that that is off your shoulders, you need to post more. You have a unique sense of humor that is refreshing for the forum.

I appreciate the compliment. I wish I was trying to be funny. Three beers in right now. I'll post my tips for passing at six beers in for future examinees.

PASSED!! :highfive:. Now on to the Pain Boards! However, after the orals, I am definitely not sweating another written exam.

Glad I passed before having to remediate to the TWO-STEP writtens :thumbdown: which I believe start in 2016.

Congrats to everyone who passed and and good luck next year to those who have to do this again.

Congrats diplomats!
There's no shame in failing btw, many very bright people don't prepare adequately and find themselves taking it again. They all seem to pass on the second go around. Search the oral board posts and shoot them a PM.

Congrats diplomats!
There's no shame in failing btw, many very bright people don't prepare adequately and find themselves taking it again. They all seem to pass on the second go around. Search the oral board posts and shoot them a PM.

I was there.

Cambie

Glad to be done with this mess! I am posting here to offer my 2c on review courses, etc.

I did the Ho simulation course and read Jensen material I had purchased from a senior resident last year. The textbook I read some sections out of was Yao. I found the Ho material easier to read than Jensen and with less verbage than Yao. I am not a fan of Jensen's Ranger theme - being in the army and dealing with real rangers is different than dealing with a bunch of whiny test-preppers, so no dice for Jensen.

The Ho simulation course was useful in experiencing question prompts similar to the real thing, and also to see how your style compares to other aspiring board candidates. THe real dividends came from setting up a review series with four of my buddies from residency and meeting every other day on google plus in group video chats to do retired questions. We had different backgrounds, some fellowship, but we were very aggressive about going over a written source and following up regularly with questions that came up during our review sessions.

If you do take a review course, you NEED to put time into reading the material before attending. Don't be a lazy douche and expect to be spoon-fed everything at the course. I will bet you fail using that approach. Is it hard to study while working your new job, juggling family, etc? Sure, but you have to sacrifice whatever free time you have in your schedule to put into it.

Will you hear stories of people who put in a great deal of effort and failed? Sure, but you will hear more stories of people who failed saying they 'could have' put in more effort. Being rigorous about orals will make your practice abilities better - at least it has for me.

Laters.

If you do take a review course, you NEED to put time into reading the material before attending. Don't be a lazy douche and expect to be spoon-fed everything at the course. I will bet you fail using that approach. .

Laters.

I don't agree with this. The more studying you do the better. If you study before going to the Ho course, that's good, but I would not say it is necessary. I say this because I took the Ho 6 day course in July. I did no studying before I got to the course. I just showed up. I did this after talking to a resident who was in the class above me who did the same thing--no studying prior to Ho course. We both passed.

Let me assure you that neither of us are top 90% ITE anesthesiology geniuses. FAR FROM IT.

We both took the early Ho 6 day course, and we both did not look at his review book until we got to the course, and we both passed. I would agree that if you wait to do one of the Ho review courses 2-3 weeks before the exam without studying, you might be in trouble.

STUDY HABITS
-Everyone is different. We all know how we learn best. The problem is that this is an oral exam, and many of us have never taken a major oral exam. So a lot of us are uncertain on what would work best for us to prepare for this kind of exam. Overall you will see these recommendations:

a) Review courses
b) practice exams
c) Certain texts (Ultimate bord prep, Board stiff)
d) PRACTICE--Mock orals (examiners at your institution, Skype with partner, JustOrals)
e) Review of your weaker subjects

I feel that those things sum it up. You just pick and choose how much of each.
I did:
a) Ho's 6 day review course in July
b) Studied Ho's texts
c) practice exams

I disagree with YoGabba and I felt the Ho review course was excellent. I was able to use CME funds to pay for it which was a huge plus. It is an intense 6 days of 12 hrs/day of nonstop anesthesia talk. It is an exhausting week, but he really covers a lot, and more improtantly he helps you with how to answer. "What would you do?" Don't say, "I would give this". Say, "I would first look at these monitors to look for this. If i felt the problem was b/c of this, I would do this, because of that. On the other hand, if this monitor showed that, and I felt the problem was due to this, I would perform this alternate intervention.

My take on the review courses is that they help with the same aspects: Covering the material and assisting on how to answer. So I am not sure if one is superior to the other. I just feel that they are different.

Since Ho's texts covered tons of info, I just used that to study, and then occasionally went to Barash, Miller, Faust Keywords to brush up on stuff I didn't have down, but I never used an oral board textbook to study other than the Ho book I received at the course.
Agree with YoGabba 100% on the practice exams. No answers, but you see the layout of the questions. You see how things will get asked and what things are likely to get asked.

Finally, in regards to practicing mock orals with other people or online. I heard many people tell me that I need to practice more than I study. "You have to practice talking out loud". I agree there is a lot of value in that. I also have seen many people on studentdoctor state that the key is to doing A LOT of mock orals. Well I didn't. I did the 4 private mock orals that came with the Ho course, and I did one online in early August with a candidate I met at the course. Very early on with the mock orals I did at the Ho course I discovered that if I knew the material or was comfortable with the case, I answered the questions fine. If I was uncomfortable with the case material, I couldn't even form a response to some of the questions. There is no faking an oral answer. That practice oral I did in August with my friend, I just found myself saying "I don't know" too often, but I knew it was stuff that I needed to review. I felt then my time was better spent studying the material. Getting closer to the exam, I did just go over the practice exams a lot by myself and talked out my answers in my head. Let me stress too that unlike YoGabba, I was not in the 90th percentile on the written...far from it. So it's not like I was so confident in my knowledge that I felt I didn't need to practice mock orals. I just never have had a problem explaining material to people if I am well versed in the topic. Maybe some people have a problem communicating key points to others even though they understand the topic perfectly, and that is why they need to practice mock orals. Or maybe it is to try and relieve some the anxiety that comes with the nature of the exam. My friend who I did the mock oral with in August probably did like 50 mock orals. She passed the exam as well. So the test can be passed with taking a lot of mock orals or with taking few mock orals.

My final summary of studying. People use some combo of the five things listed above. Each person is different and you have to get a sense of what works best for you. I am an advocate of any review course particularly if your institution will pay for it, because it vaults you in terms of preparation. When I was done with my course, I felt like I had a good handle on what I needed to work on and the common topics that pop up.