Just Took Step 1 - Competitiveness in 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkey1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

This isn't meant to be a brag post or complaint, I just want your honest opinion. I got a 232 on Step 1, and given that the average has been increasing (according to the score report, the average this year is a 222 - NOT a 225 as reported on Wikipedia), I was wondering if scores need to be higher than in the past to be considered for residency. I'm almost certainly shooting for IM. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

A score in the middle-range would obviously require even stronger LoRs, grades, research, etc. I wouldn't be concerned too much about the average having (or having not) shifted a few points. Just focus on the former.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

This isn't meant to be a brag post or complaint, I just want your honest opinion. I got a 232 on Step 1, and given that the average has been increasing (according to the score report, the average this year is a 222 - NOT a 225 as reported on Wikipedia), I was wondering if scores need to be higher than in the past to be considered for residency. I'm almost certainly shooting for IM. Any thoughts?

IM cares a lot less about board scores than other specialties outside of a few of the top programs. I wouldn't worry too much. 232 is awesome anyway! Don't let everyone on the board here stress you out. You just out-performed the majority of US medical students who were already top students at their respective undergrads. Feel proud :)

IM cares a lot less about board scores than other specialties outside of a few of the top programs. I wouldn't worry too much. 232 is awesome anyway! Don't let everyone on the board here stress you out. You just out-performed the majority of US medical students who were already top students at their respective undergrads. Feel proud :)

THIS! You scored ABOVE the national average. You'll do fine matching for IM :)

Score report just gives you an estimate of the past few years. The mean in 2011 was 225.2 and sd was 20.6. Wikipedia > you ;)