just wondering what happens after medical school

Started by luv2sd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luv2sd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm assuming plastic surgery residency.

So how long does it last? Does plastic surgery residency include general surgery residency training as well?

I also heard about fellowship in plastic surgery. How long is this plastic surgery fellowship?
 
I'm assuming plastic surgery residency.

So how long does it last? Does plastic surgery residency include general surgery residency training as well?

I also heard about fellowship in plastic surgery. How long is this plastic surgery fellowship?

I think this may have been unanswered because the info has been previously posted elsewhere. I keep thinking we need an FAQ or something.

Anyway, the combined/integrated programs tend to go five or six years. Most have three years of general surgery with two (some are going three) years of plastics. Some are six years but one year is a research year.

The second pathway is five years of general surgery followed by a two year fellowship in plastic surgery. Then there are various one year subspecialty fellowships such as micro, hand and craniofacial.

--Moravian
 
The second pathway is five years of general surgery followed by a two year fellowship in plastic surgery. Then there are various one year subspecialty fellowships such as micro, hand and craniofacial.

--Moravian

Can you really do a hand fellowship without doing an ortho residency? 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you really do a hand fellowship without doing an ortho residency? 😕

You betcha. About 30% of plastic surgery training (give or take depending on your program) is hand. Even if you don't do a hand fellowship, a lot of plastic guys will take hand ER call to get some business when they're first out. It depends on what kind of practice you're in as well. Although I'm doing a peds/cranio fellowship, I'll most likely do uncomplicated peds hand as well when I'm done.

General surgeons can also do a hand fellowship. This is mainly done as a bridge to get into a plastic surgery fellowship, although there are some practicing hand/general surgeons out there who didn't get a spot or gave up applying after their hand training.

--M
 
where i trained we took more hand call than the ortho dept. residents rotate as a 2 and a 4 in their program. in plastic you are covering 50% of the call for the 3 years you are there, not to mention the elective stuff among all the attendings.