MS-3 wondering whether or not to take a research year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opisthotonus

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm a 3rd year medical student at a mid-tier medical school in the north east that doesn't have a huge focus on research. I'm incredibly interested in applying to plastic surgery but I'm not sure whether or not I'm competitive without a research year. Research is probably the weakest part of my application. I don't have any publications, but I do have 2 research experiences that resulted in 4 local presentations. I have a paper in submission right now and I'm working on an IRB for a project that I hope will become a publication.

Step 1: 256
AOA: On track for Junior AOA
Extracurricular Activities: I was on student government at my school for a year. I run like 6 of the clubs at my school.

I'm only looking to match in a mid tier plastics program. I don't need to be at one of the top ones. I would really appreciate any advice as to whether I should look for a research year or not as well as any other advice people can give me. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably.

Do you have a home program? If so, how do you get along with them and what is their recommendation?

If no home program, then yes I think it will help. This would also help with recommendations / connections.

When you interview, some faculty members would not have looked at your application (like at all). Some of these folks are involved in their own research and their main question may be, "So, tell me about your research..."

Even if you have done cool experiences, research isn't really deemed "real" unless its been published for some people.

"I've always been curious about the healing process and scars - I took a research year at University of X and worked with Dr. Y and we looked at injected stem-cells / whatever and found that this helps with the appearance of scars 50% more than not.. this led to a presentation at National Meeting and was published in Journal of Plastics bla bla"