K-State C/O 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's KVESS.. open a few days a week on Anderson Avenue.. http://www.vet.ksu.edu/handbook/studentorgs/kvess.htm

Sometimes you can find the books online cheaper, but, we are encouraged to buy from KVESS because the organization pays for your junior-year surgery tools.

For the most part, I buy 99.9% from KVESS if no one is selling a book used. Many times KVESS was indeed less expensive than online.


Speaking of books...how imperative is it to have every book available for a class? I know I'm getting the required books and the coloring book because coloring is an awesome stress reliever for me, but I don't know about some of the other ones. I'd like to avoid spending 1000$ for books if possible, but I don't want to be hosed because I didn't.

I feel like I'm asking super-detail-y questions but I'm getting really antsy...(as seen above with my fin. aid freakout 😛)

EDIT: Also, props to KVESS for taking on the Varney's monopoly in town!!
 
Last edited:
Thanks CookieBear! I, like SmallAndLA, was getting antsy about the wait, and started peeking at book prices (EEK!). I appreciate the info. Sounds like Manhattan is a bit like College Station with a wee bit of gouging by a few *nameless* stores...Thanks KVESS
 
It kinda depends on how much you personally use textbooks in classes-did you use them alot in undergrad? No, you defintely don't need the non-required books, but if you like having the books for a class around or if the subject is your main area of interest, it might be helpful.
I basically only bought the required books, and still didn't even use all of those, so its pretty much up to you. Don't feel like you have to buy everything on the list!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's a kinda random question though...how is the traffic in the mornings at K state? What kind of time do I need to give myself to get to class if I'm, say at the "far" end of town ('cause it's such a big town and all 😛 ).
 
Hmm, not sure which part of town you're referring to 🙂, but ten minutes maybe? Traffic's a little bit heavier in the morning which just means you hit more stoplights. Remember it'll take 2-3 minutes to walk to class once you park. 🙂 I live 1.5 miles (and about 5 stoplights) away and leave at 7:45 and am usually unpacked w/ my computer ready to go 3-4 minutes before class starts. (Can you tell I like my sleep?)

As far as textbooks go--definitely not all of the first-year books are necessary. However, you absolutely want to get your dissection guide ("small Miller's"). I know some folks who used their medical dictionary a lot, but I never opened mine. For histo, I liked having Wheater's as a reference, but again, some people hardly ever used theirs. Other than that, I didn't actually use anything first semester (never cracked either one of the big anatomy books!! argh!).

Hope that helps! 🙂

P.S. For those who might be planning on it, I don't think Varney's sells any vet med books anyway--but could be wrong.
 
feadog, what do you mean your fafsa was just posted this morning? is it in ksu's website ?
 
feadog, what do you mean your fafsa was just posted this morning? is it in ksu's website ?

I'm not feadog, but I'm procrastinating on moving out, so I'll answer. Please don't feel like I'm stepping on your toes, though, fea!

You can access it by going to http://isis.k-state.edu and using the eID and password you've created with your Wildcat ID number, then clicking 'View Financial Aid'

If you haven't created your eID yet/don't have your Wildcat ID number, you'll have to wait a little bit. The financial aid office should be sending you a package with all of that stuff in it though.

They are working on the packages -- I now can click on the link to the 2009-2010 school year, but they haven't finished mine (at least I hope they haven't finished mine!), so I can't see anything yet.

We should be getting tuition + living expenses no matter what, and the limits are a bit higher for veterinary students, if I remember correctly.
 
Thanks smallandLA, i haven't received any packet yet with my id in it so i guess i'll just have to wait... i hate waiting ....lol i'm just so anxious
 
complete change in topic, but when is everyone planning on moving down to kansas? i was planning on arriving around august 6. we'll have to plan a get together before classes start
 
Exactly what SmallAndLA said 🙂 I had submitted my FAFSA application a little late, but my financial aid package has already been posted on the iSIS page. I made an eID on Monday and was able to access the page by Tuesday. I think you can make and verify an eID with a social security number, so maybe you don't need to wait for the Wildcat ID.

As far as moving, I'm taking a trip out to look for a place June 3-7 and plan to move down around August 13th.
 
feadog, where in new york are you from?... obviously you can see i'm from the buffalo area
 
I second the get-together. I plan on moving up the last week of July or the first few days of August. Any suggestions for a meet-up? I'm pretty much down for wherever, but I've picked out a few favorite places in the "Little Apple"...🙂

Also - I don't know how any of y'all are planning to move, but Budget rental company has a GREAT deal on moving trucks compared to Uhaul. At least down here in TX that is!
 
Last edited:
I love my Wheater's (Histology). I referenced it many times this year as well in General Path and Systemic Path. That whole "What did normal look like??" is sometimes important!

(And I'm a confessed book hoarder anyway... It took me over a year, but I'm finally slowing down on the book splurging. Sorta.)

Unrelatedly to books, I would like to mention a local small business that I think is awesome. B&L Vacuum on Fort Riley Boulevard (near Howie's Recycling Center). It's run by a father and son-in-law, and they sell, fix, etc. both used and new vacuums, accessories, etc. They re-vamp/refurb make the stuff run like new and sell it at a VERY reasonable price.

I swear, it's the best vacuum I've ever had, and it cost me $20!!! Tell them you're a vet student and you heard they're great. And no, no relation or anything to them 🙄 . I picked up a carpet shampoo'er recently from them, too. OK, /end PSA!

And yes, I am still in the market for 2 roommates, although I do have some folks interested, so that may change very soon. PM me if you're curious and want details and pics of my house.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I think I'm gonna drive up this weekend to check out houses. I went up about a month ago, but not much was on the market. Have things picked up a bit?

Oh yeah- and that other little thing...I have been looking into the whole flood plane issue...so uh...yeah😕 Holy shinola.:scared: That is a big flood issue.

Do I need to look into separate flood insurance? (My fiance and I are buying a home...). We flood down here in Houston (bigtime) and I know we have to carry separate flood insurance here. Just a crazy thought.
 
I'm using Penske trucks to move down... it was the cheapest from buffalo compared to budget and uhaul
 
Hey guys Just off the waitlist today, I can't wait to meet you all. I still can't believe it my dream is coming ture. 😍
 
😀 Congratulations DJ2013! Can't wait to see you in the fall. So exciting!:clap::welcome:

Oh and by the way, really cute pups you've got there. I've got a couple labs myself. Coming with you to vet school?
 
Last edited:
Thanks Doggone DVM, I have not decided yet if I am bringing them with me or not, it all depends on where I get housing and all, if not they will stay at home with my parents and siblings.
 
Here's yet another totally random question...probably best for those who've been in the area for a bit- does anyone know of a place in/near Manhattan offering riding lessons? I have NO riding experience outside of maybe 2 kid rides when I was young. I think it would be a great way to get a feel for reactions/body language in horses. Thanks everyone!
 
my name is jennifer. i will also be in the class of 2013. i am looking for a place to live and a roommate. i want to find a 2 bed/2bath apt that is pet friendly and pay 300/month each. let me know if you need a roommate!! [email protected]
 
Looking for a nonsmoking female to room with a nonsmoking female 1st year student. It is a two bed room two bath apartment, fully furnished, with washing machine and drier in the room. It has a full sized bed with desk and dresser in the bedroom, living area, and patio. It also has a pool, exercise room, basketball/volleyball/tennis court, lobby area with gaming room. All utilities besides electricity are included. Rent is 469/month with a 12 month individual lease. Sorry no pets allowed. let me know if you are intrested. Email or PM me [email protected]
 
Hey everyone!

The info packets have been mailed out!! I just got mine today and it was almost as good as the congrats letter ("Oh K-State, you still want me, AWESOME.")

There's all sorts of stuff to fill out but it's all due by June 12th, 2009. I live in Kansas City, KS this summer and I'm still sending this sucker Priority Mail. With delivery confirmation... Overkill? Maybe.

And we get to choose electives!! I'm so pumped about that -- I picked one about literature use and the trade one for fall, along with special interest anatomy and bovine theriogenology for the spring, but there are several others to choose from.

Oh, but they say we have to dress in nice slacks/collared shirts or blouses. ...is there a wardrobe allowance in my (still non-existant) financial aid package?!

Anyway, they should be on their way to your houses soon...hopefully by the end of next week...it's a really short turn around time, IMO, but whatever.

There wasn't any mention I saw about transcripts/when to send them/etc, so I'm planning on calling the office on Monday and asking about it, since K-State email is down right now.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Saturday.
 
Don't sweat the dress code. 🙂 Usually most people dress pretty nicely for orientation week +/- the first week of classes, but 99% of people will be in t-shirts/flip-flops by the end of the second week of school.

I freaked out about it for absolutely no reason--even though Dr. Elmore tries to beat it into your head during orientation! 🙂

So jealous that you guys get to choose electives in the new curriculum!! That's so awesome. would you mind listing them here?? I'm curious!
 
Don't sweat the dress code. 🙂 Usually most people dress pretty nicely for orientation week +/- the first week of classes, but 99% of people will be in t-shirts/flip-flops by the end of the second week of school.

I freaked out about it for absolutely no reason--even though Dr. Elmore tries to beat it into your head during orientation! 🙂

So jealous that you guys get to choose electives in the new curriculum!! That's so awesome. would you mind listing them here?? I'm curious!


Oh good, I was worrying about buying all sorts of new clothes! :scared:

I had no idea that the curriculum had changed, but I'm ready for it. The electives look pretty awesome. And so does this new Integration class they mention....

Here's what we have to choose from (I asterisked my choices):

- Veterinary Medical Language Cognates and Etymology* (1 CR - FA Only - Fridays 1:00-3:00 for the 1st half the semester.)
-----
- Three Dimensional Imaging Anatomy of the Dog (1 CR - FA Only - Fridays 1:00-3:00 for the 2nd half of the semester.)
-----
- History of Veterinary Medicine (1 CR - FA Only - Wednesdays 1:00-2:00)
-----
- Practical Use and Interpretation of Veterinary Scientific Literature* (1 CR - FA Only - Mondays 1:00-2:00)
-----
- Practicing Veterinary Medicine in a Multicultural Society (1 CR - FA and SP - Thursdays 1:00-2:00 in the fall - TBA for SP)
-----
- The Basics of Bovine Theriogenology* (1 CR - FA and SP - Wednesdays 9:00-10:00 in the fall - TBA in the spring)
-----
- Trade and Agricultural Health* - (2 CR - FA and SP - Online)
-----
- Veterinary Comparative Embryology (1 CR - SP Only - TBA)
-----
- Veterinary Neuroscience (2 CR - SP Only - TBA)
-----
- Behavior of Domestic Animals (1 CR - SP Only - TBA)
-----
- Special Interest Anatomy for Veterinary Students* (1 CR - SP Only - By Appointment)

I can scan in the descriptions if anyone wants a peek at them, just drop me a PM. (I am lazy and some of them are very long...)
 
Last edited:
Packets! I was wondering when those would show up.

Now I can't wait for Monday's mail! I remember hearing about curriculum changes at the info session before interviewing, but didn't expect they'd be happening so quickly. 👍

Also, when I got the e-mail confirmation saying they received my deposit, it mentioned that spring transcripts were due to be received by June 10th or upon completion of a degree if you're working on one.
I'll be e-mailing to double check about that, though, because I'm not defending my thesis until later in the summer.
 
Last edited:
Hooray for the packets! I was starting to worry that it got lost in the mail somewhere. Especially since my parents just got something from the financial aid office (which is weird because previously I got everything at my apartment) and my mom is notorious for throwing away my mail. Glad to hear I didn't miss it.

And, another hooray for electives! I wasn't expecting to get any as a first year. 😀

See you all in the fall!!!!
 
Yeah feadog, I saw that little note in my acceptance letter when I checked earlier this evening (after I found it in my portfolio, ugh, I will not miss moving back and forth from KC to Manhattan for four years!)

Since I graduated, I'm just going to include a copy of my transcript request that I'm mailing in to the Registrar's office along with a post-it that says 'I graduated, so my transcript will be there as soon as they post my degree - thanks! 🙂'

I don't remember anything about curriculum changes, but they might not have finalized it by IS interviews back in December...it was a pleasant surprise though -- I am really excited about the special interest anatomy class in the spring and the online Trade and Ag Health class in the fall. Actually, I wish I could take all of the electives!!

One thing I did notice -- the website for the computer info that they send is not up yet -- it just sends you to the purchasing website. And we're not getting Toshibas but Fujitsus. They're nice looking though (11 out of 11 would recommend it), and we get an external hard drive along with it for off-computer storage.

I'm all excited again now...and soon we'll get our book lists from KVESS and have even more excitement!
 
The curriculum changes/electives didn't happen defintely until sometime in February...I'm on the curriculum committee and we had to vote the classes and changes all in. You guys will defintely be a guinea pig class for this (we have no idea how some of these classes will go or if anyone will be interested in them), so be ready for both good and bad things with them. Just keep that in mind when choosing electives. If you have a question about the electives I can TRY to answer them, but no guarantees.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well holy moly...I thought they'd never come!!! I can't wait for my mail on Monday (hope it gets here:xf:), and the electives sound pretty exciting. Is it bad or good for us to be anxiously awaiting a booklist?! I know we will all look something like this -->:scared: by the time the first tests roll around.
 
Heh, I had just been talking about how they were really cutting close to the "end of May" yesterday morning before my mail came. Then poof, it was there.

I'm always anxious for book lists...now even more so with these electives. I know last year those lists were due at the end of June, so they should be coming pretty quickly.

And yeah...Friday mornings = TESTS TESTS TESTS. I don't know what they're going to test us on that first week, but I'm already planning how I'm going to be studying (rewrite, retype, flashcards!). I even invested in a custom planner to help me out with time management...
 
Wow, it's great that they're offering such a large variety of electives!

Personally, I'd take the literature class and the 3-D imaging class, but that's just me. 🙂 Thanks for posting it!

Just to reassure you, you won't have an exam your first Friday--it'll be the end of the second week of class. And it'll be on all of the bones--and there will be a party that night for the whole school hosted by the class of 2012 and in honor of your very first test in vet school. 🙂
 
I'm leaning towards 3-D Imaging and the Language Cognates/Etymology course at the moment. Hmm, decisions decisions 🙂
 
Three Dimensional Imaging Anatomy of the Dog 🙂DSounds really exciting!)and The Basics of Bovine Theriogenology for me.

and good for you, SmallAndLA!👍👍 That's a pretty good idea on the organizer...I myself am scared poo-less of getting myself organized. I operate in my own scatterbrained system that seems to work well for me...so long as I procrastinate. I will have to work on my time management big-time.🙄
 
yay for packets... just got mine today... i was worried about the dress code too, i'm glad someone could clear it up. as for teh electives i'm super excited... we pick three right? i'm leaning towards 3D and language and maybe even the history of vet. just curious are these electives ones that previous classes had to take at some point?
 
Hey i got my packet today too! Super excited.

I set up my eID but it will not let me verify it because I dont have my Wildcat ID yet, so I cant go into ISIS and look at any of my financial aid information, assuming it is there...

I emailed admissions asking about when I would get my Wildcat ID and they said not until mid June after I was enrolled in all of my classes. But reading some of the posts it sounds like some people already got their ID's...

Do I have to contact someone or am I supposed to just wait for something to come in the mail... otherwise any other information about finding out about my financial aid status? I think Ill just need to call them...

Thanks for anyones help.

PS does anyone know anything more about the being on call during orientation week? Is that entire week taken up by school stuff? I thought we would have time to settle in but I guess I was wrong...?
 
Financial aid sent me a letter telling me I needed to set up my eID as soon as possible since that is the only way to accept loans you are awarded. In the letter they provided me with my wildcat id. I believe you can also use your social security number as well to set up your eID. In any case i'm sure if you call the financial aid office they can provide you with your wildcat id. Hope this helps!
 
yay for packets... just got mine today... i was worried about the dress code too, i'm glad someone could clear it up. as for teh electives i'm super excited... we pick three right? i'm leaning towards 3D and language and maybe even the history of vet. just curious are these electives ones that previous classes had to take at some point?


They're pretty much all completely new classes. Embryology and Neuroscience were required for our class, but now they're just electives for you guys. And the other classes have all never been offered before. hence you guys being the guinea pig class.


To the on call during orientation week thing-don't worry about it too much, its highly unlikely you'll have to stay. But you should plan to be settled in before orientation week as you'll have plently to fill up your time anyway. Try to get moved in and settled the week before if its possible. 🙂
 
ooh ooh...Me too! 😀 I'm so completely excited! Do people usually actually follow their 4th year student during the school year? Am I being silly to look forward to that? Will I have time?

As for the wildcat ID, mine was definitely also sent by financial aid. Give them a call and they might be able to help. The ladies in the office have been exceptionally sweet and helpful, so even if they don't have your ID, it would be a good place to start.

Oh my...I can't wait!
 
Hey thanks for everyones help! I got my financial aid figured out so no problems there.

I had a question to everyone about health insurance, if you get it through the school can you not get it until the first day of class, or can it start before hand? Because Im going to be leaving my job about a month before school starts.

Also my friend that is going to purdue got a list of things that she needs to order like smocks, scapel blades, suture scissors and some other things. I dont know if anyone has any idea if we have to purchase things like that as well?
 
LadyChar,

As far as the stuff we might need to order, I was under the impression that we get all that stuff through the KVESS. Anyone know if that's right? And the packet said they're giving us a new scrub top at orientation.
 
hey Can anyone help me out, did you guys get financial aid info sent to you in the mail because I have not gotten anyting yet and I filled out my FAFSA in april.
 
Hey thanks for everyones help! I got my financial aid figured out so no problems there.

I had a question to everyone about health insurance, if you get it through the school can you not get it until the first day of class, or can it start before hand? Because Im going to be leaving my job about a month before school starts.

Also my friend that is going to purdue got a list of things that she needs to order like smocks, scapel blades, suture scissors and some other things. I dont know if anyone has any idea if we have to purchase things like that as well?

You cannot get the AVMA insurance until you become a member of SCAVMA and pay your dues. You will be told about it during orientation week and get some info packets then. So it will be at least the first week of school before you get enrolled in it.

You'll buy a dissection kit, gloves, and lab coat from KVESS, and thats pretty much all you need. You get a free scrub top with Class of 2013 on it. You can bring more if you want, but most people don't wear scrubs except if its a messy day in anatomy lab, so its up to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HI all - just wanted to know if Kimball Ave where it intersects with Anderson is too far from campus to live? I'll have a car, but didn't know if its too out of the way.

What about Kimball Ave North West of Hwy 113 area?
 
hey, does anyone know if we need to purchase parking permits at all?

If you're commuting, yes, you need to purchase a permit. You order them through iSIS after you're enrolled in classes and know where you're living and the cost goes on your tuition bill. So we get to wait a little bit longer. 🙂

They were 150$/year last year (don't know cost for this next year) but compared to what I've seen for costs at other universities...I don't mind paying it.

But don't buy anything that is specifically for the parking garage, 'cause that's on the south side of campus near the union and we're going to be on the north side near the recreation complex.
 
Thanks SmallAndLA!

Anyone know much about the rabies vaccinations? In the packet it said you need to schedule for your rabies vacc in early summer, but are we scheduling for when we get to school? Or if we do it through them are we supposed to do it during the summer?
 
The school does not offer rabies vaccination--this is something you are responsible for yourself.

The good news is that human rabies vaccine just this week became available again!!!

Talk to your doctor and/or health department if you want to get it done before coming to KS. Otherwise, our health department and/or student health center can help you. There are lots of threads on here about rabies vaccination--same stuff applies to K-State students. 🙂