Kaiser for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captopril

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying for IM residency this summer, with hopes of going onwards to cards fellowship. I've heard that NorCal Kaiser (SF) now has a cards program. Would it be advisable to do a residency at a place like Kaiser if they have a cards fellowship...or does the stigma of the Kaiser name outweigh the badassness of having an in-house fellowship program?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying for IM residency this summer, with hopes of going onwards to cards fellowship. I've heard that NorCal Kaiser (SF) now has a cards program. Would it be advisable to do a residency at a place like Kaiser if they have a cards fellowship...or does the stigma of the Kaiser name outweigh the badassness of having an in-house fellowship program?

Kaiser programs tend to take their own for their fellowship programs, so if you went to KPLA or Kaiser SF you would indeed have a great shot at a cardiology fellowship, depending upon how many of your classmates also wanted to do cardiology. check out KPLA's website at:

http://residency.kp.org/scal/fellowship/cardiology/fellows.html

it appears they take one of their residents each year out of 3 slots.

Not sure what you mean by stigma of Kaiser name. I would add that if you want to do a cardiology fellowship outside of Kaiser, it would likely be exceedingly difficult, especially coming out of a newly minted residency program. check out:

http://residency.kp.org/scal/residency/internalmed/fellowshipmatch.html

p diddy

Not sure what you mean by stigma of Kaiser name.

Thanks for the info p diddy...yeah by "stigma" what I mean is kaiser isn't known as a research institute, plus it's more along the lines of a community hospital...I know both of those work against you when applying for fellowships. Nothing against Kaiser; I've been a patient of quality doctors in the Kaiser system for most of my life.