Kaiser for IM?

Started by Captopril
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Captopril

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be applying for IM residency this summer, with hopes of going onwards to cards fellowship. I've heard that NorCal Kaiser (SF) now has a cards program. Would it be advisable to do a residency at a place like Kaiser if they have a cards fellowship...or does the stigma of the Kaiser name outweigh the badassness of having an in-house fellowship program?
 
I will be applying for IM residency this summer, with hopes of going onwards to cards fellowship. I've heard that NorCal Kaiser (SF) now has a cards program. Would it be advisable to do a residency at a place like Kaiser if they have a cards fellowship...or does the stigma of the Kaiser name outweigh the badassness of having an in-house fellowship program?

Kaiser programs tend to take their own for their fellowship programs, so if you went to KPLA or Kaiser SF you would indeed have a great shot at a cardiology fellowship, depending upon how many of your classmates also wanted to do cardiology. check out KPLA's website at:

http://residency.kp.org/scal/fellowship/cardiology/fellows.html

it appears they take one of their residents each year out of 3 slots.

Not sure what you mean by stigma of Kaiser name. I would add that if you want to do a cardiology fellowship outside of Kaiser, it would likely be exceedingly difficult, especially coming out of a newly minted residency program. check out:

http://residency.kp.org/scal/residency/internalmed/fellowshipmatch.html

p diddy
 
Not sure what you mean by stigma of Kaiser name.


Thanks for the info p diddy...yeah by "stigma" what I mean is kaiser isn't known as a research institute, plus it's more along the lines of a community hospital...I know both of those work against you when applying for fellowships. Nothing against Kaiser; I've been a patient of quality doctors in the Kaiser system for most of my life.