Kaiser (Full COA) Vs Mayo AZ (70% Tuition Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Say_Hey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am super thankful and excited for how my cycle has gone so far, and even though I am waiting on financial aid from a few more schools and I wanted to ask for some advice. I currently live in CA and hope to match into a CA residency one day. I am not sure what specialty I want to go into, but I have a deep interest in surgery and academia. My husband and I are both originally from AZ and getting into Mayo AZ where both of our families live sounds like a dream come true. Also, Mayo AZ has offered me a 70% tuition scholarship which means I would need to take out loans for the remainder +COA. Kaiser on the other hand is suuuper eye-catching lol Free everything which would give my husband and me a major breather when it comes to paying bills. Also, we have very good friends in LA which would make the transition easy and Kaiser is extremely supportive of their students.

Kaiser (Full COA)
Pros

-$0 debt!! As a person who grew up in poverty, the idea of $0 debt is insane
- Extremely personalized - class of 48 students and I feel like there will be an abundance of resources and attention provided
- Very unique opportunity to be a part of an new school and despite the hiccups that it will inevitably cause you can help create your own clubs, free clinics, and help craft the curriculum with renowned faculty (not many people can say that)
- Emphasis on mental health and wellness for their students which I have not seen a single school match
- My husband and I have friends in the LA area and would have a lot of fun

CONS:
- With step 1 now being P/F, there will be more emphasis on networking and school name that Kaiser will probably struggle with since its a new school
- No guarantee how match lists will be like - big risk on perhaps matching into top academic programs
- Less prestige??
- Fear of closing doors. As a URM and an immigrant, I worry about not taking the higher ranked school due to the inherent benefits that come with presitge.
- I would need to figure out how to navigate LA traffic, buy a car, etc a lot of logistical things about life there would be hard to adjust to early on

Mayo AZ ( 70% tuition scholarship)
Pros

• Given 70% scholarship. My total cost after 4 years including COA at the end would be around $116,000 (could be even less because husband is in Finance and will most likely keep making more money even after the move)
  • I was raised in AZ and so was my husband, so we have close family and friends in the area!
  • Selectives give immense flexibility for multiple weeks per year
  • Rotations across Minnesota and Florida to change up location and see different patient populations
  • I personally resonate with Mayo's patient centered focus and would love to start my medical education learning how Mayo Clinic delivers healthcare.
  • COL in AZ is cheaper than Pasadena
  • Philosophy. I believe Mayo chooses students based on fit with their own philosophy (true patient-centered care and service). This type of philosophy and atmosphere during training will define your career. The faculty and other students will all have this focus which I think is unique and a large positive.

Cons

• Honestly the cost. Taking out $116,000 seems like a lot when compared to free
  • Scottsdale isn't as exciting as Pasadena

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you are dead-set on Mayo I would look into contacting student aid and telling them about your full COA scholarship. Try and get more money from them if you can. If not, then Kaiser is still a great option.

Reactions: 4 users
If you are dead-set on Mayo I would look into contacting student aid and telling them about your full COA scholarship. Try and get more money from them if you can. If not, then Kaiser is still a great option.
I really appreciate the insight! Do you think Mayo would care at all that I got money from Kaiser since it is unranked? I am waiting on financial info from similarly tiered schools so I might potentially have a better offer on the table in the next couple of weeks. Do you think it's best to wait or just let them know about Kaiser now?

I really appreciate the insight! Do you think Mayo would care at all that I got money from Kaiser since it is unranked? I am waiting on financial info from similarly tiered schools so I might potentially have a better offer on the table in the next couple of weeks. Do you think it's best to wait or just let them know about Kaiser now?
I think that contacting them sooner would be better. Scheduling has started for financial aid meetings throughout March, so scheduling a meeting or contacting the office rn could be the difference between receiving more funding and not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that contacting them sooner would be better. Scheduling has started for financial aid meetings throughout March, so scheduling a meeting or contacting the office rn could be the difference between receiving more funding and not.
Thank you so much!! I'll contact them today so it's in their inbox first thing on Monday. I really appreciate it :)

Isn’t Kaiser providing transportation for rotations? Where do you want to match for residency? Kaiser system has residences.