Kaiser LA, Cedars, UCLA, Santa Barabra for a prelim surgery year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ca. Dreamin'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Can anyone give me any feedback about any of those places (Kaiser LA, Cedars, UCLA and SB Cottage) for prelim surgery spots. Or even if you are a catagorical and have input on any of these could you post it. Thanks very much.

Ca Dreamin.

Members don't see this ad.

I am surprised no one has gotten back to you. Kaiser, Cedars, and UCLA will work you ragged which is not good for a prelim year. If you are concerned about academics for a future- UCLA. Great place, location, cool residents and attedings, though they can be hard on you sometime. Cedar residents seemed pretty unhappy when i interviewed with them. The sweetest program for a prelim anywhere is Santa Barbara. Great place and location, the best weather, excellent surf and climbing, and the program is pretty benign was my impression form the residents. They get out sometimes at 3pm, play vollyball at the beach. The place has money and nice amendities as well. The draw back is cost of living.

i had heard that kaiser was pretty reasonable. is that not true? does anyone know first hand that is either a resident there or has rotated through there?

Thanks for the info guys.

Overall, the surgery prelim year is going to be tougher than others....its surgery, if you don't know that before going in you are in trouble.

As for me I interviewed at each place and liked them all. I think Kaiser will be the most benign. They were Q5 this year and they only had 1 prelim. Next year they are jumping to 3 prelims and will have the whole 80 hour work week thing so it can only get better.

UCLA is nice. Too bad the new hospital won't be done for me to enjoy. I'm not sure about the level of scut since it is a major academic medical center. Even though I'm not going into surgery I love it and would like some OR time...I know I'm an intern but just whatever is acceptable. It certainly is impressive that it is the third or fourth ranked medical center in the country (I know that USNEWS rankings don't mean much....but ) and they have impressive departments in EVERYTHING from medicine to peds to every possible facet of surgery so your training must be good.

Cedars is a huge hospital..I didn't know how huge and when you are on call you cover everyone so that would be tough. You do 2 unit months as an intern which is both good and bad. I think this was the most malignant of the three so I put it at the bottom of my list.

Anyway...all other info is appreciated. Thanks for the responses.

Ca. Dreamin'