Kaiser Permanente Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flavia28

Pharmacist
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to Kaiser Permanente’s listed position because I met all their requirements. However, when I hit the submit button and went back to check the status on my KP account, it said “no longer under consideration”.
I didn’t get any email from them saying they received my application like other companies do.
What does this even mean? I spent hours working on my CV and cover letter. This is so disappointing if a bot just threw out the application immediately after submission. There is no specific contact listed that I could reach out to for confirmation either.

Has this happened to anyone else? What would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied to Kaiser Permanente’s listed position because I met all their requirements. However, when I hit the submit button and went back to check the status on my KP account, it said “no longer under consideration”.
I didn’t get any email from them saying they received my application like other companies do.
What does this even mean? I spent hours working on my CV and cover letter. This is so disappointing if a bot just threw out the application immediately after submission. There is no specific contact listed that I could reach out to for confirmation either.

Has this happened to anyone else? What would you recommend?

This is normal.

Yes, this happens to pretty much everyone (in pharmacy at least)

I would recommend to not take this stuff seriously in the future.

Your data has been successfully harvested and will be added to a massive data collection effort with the intent to bundle up with massive quantities of other peoples data who thought they were applying for a job to be sold to the highest bidder on the open market. This is an effort for companies to make extra money. Eventually you will start getting weird letters in the mail offering all sorts of bizarre crap and your junk e-mail will start to ramp up tailored to you.

Anyways - welcome to pharmacy.. considering the fact that you think a CV means much of anything - I’m taking a wild guess that your a new graduate? Have you considered switching careers to drive truck yet? Ultimately all of us pharmacists eventually consider driving truck at some point.

We all made a big mistake.. one we will have to live with for the rest of our lives. Spending hours on a CV really won’t help.

Who do you know that can help get you placed? If the answer is no one, I would recommend applying at retail where the Rph will turn over every 6 months due to burnout. You could probably get in line there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Most kaiser jobs are filled before they're posted. There are so many union rules, if you're an outside employee they can't hire you even if they wanted to. I wouldn't recommend working for kaiser to anyone...it pays more, but TANSTAAFL. But if you must persist, focus on getting an on-call position. From there, the doors will slowly open up to you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I work for Kaiser, and I'm trying to apply internally to another location to transfer, and I have just as hard a time understanding where I stand with recruitment and even if some jobs are real or not.

I've applied and even reached out to the local chief of my intention, and they say okay i'll get back to you on Monday. I pester them since I'm already union and they have to follow union guidelines anyway, and he just ignores me. Then I hear from my union rep that the job position I applied for wasn't even approved and therefore removed.

When I compare the job board from Kaiser to the unions internal spreadsheet of available jobs, it doesn't match.

I've had 15 classmates ask me how I got into Kaiser, and none of them were ever able to get in even when I told them when jobs were expecting to go public.

Sometimes Kaiser will also stop accepting new applications if they receive too much of a response, so you have to apply right when it opens up otherwise once it reaches a cap, they will no longer take new submissions.

It's a mess. I don't blame you for being frustrated. I'm frustrated with it too and I work for them.

Reactions: 1 user
This is normal.

Yes, this happens to pretty much everyone (in pharmacy at least)

I would recommend to not take this stuff seriously in the future.

Your data has been successfully harvested and will be added to a massive data collection effort with the intent to bundle up with massive quantities of other peoples data who thought they were applying for a job to be sold to the highest bidder on the open market. This is an effort for companies to make extra money. Eventually you will start getting weird letters in the mail offering all sorts of bizarre crap and your junk e-mail will start to ramp up tailored to you.

Anyways - welcome to pharmacy.. considering the fact that you think a CV means much of anything - I’m taking a wild guess that your a new graduate? Have you considered switching careers to drive truck yet? Ultimately all of us pharmacists eventually consider driving truck at some point.

We all made a big mistake.. one we will have to live with for the rest of our lives. Spending hours on a CV really won’t help.

Who do you know that can help get you placed? If the answer is no one, I would recommend applying at retail where the Rph will turn over every 6 months due to burnout. You could probably get in line there.
Not a new graduate. I am a PGY2. Will be done with residency in 3 months. This job matched my residency training so I applied. Thanks for the clarification though. I will not expect much next time from these online job postings.

I work for Kaiser, and I'm trying to apply internally to another location to transfer, and I have just as hard a time understanding where I stand with recruitment and even if some jobs are real or not.

I've applied and even reached out to the local chief of my intention, and they say okay i'll get back to you on Monday. I pester them since I'm already union and they have to follow union guidelines anyway, and he just ignores me. Then I hear from my union rep that the job position I applied for wasn't even approved and therefore removed.

When I compare the job board from Kaiser to the unions internal spreadsheet of available jobs, it doesn't match.

I've had 15 classmates ask me how I got into Kaiser, and none of them were ever able to get in even when I told them when jobs were expecting to go public.

Sometimes Kaiser will also stop accepting new applications if they receive too much of a response, so you have to apply right when it opens up otherwise once it reaches a cap, they will no longer take new submissions.

It's a mess. I don't blame you for being frustrated. I'm frustrated with it too and I work for them.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your response and insight! Hope you are able to transfer to your preferred position.

Most kaiser jobs are filled before they're posted. There are so many union rules, if you're an outside employee they can't hire you even if they wanted to. I wouldn't recommend working for kaiser to anyone...it pays more, but TANSTAAFL. But if you must persist, focus on getting an on-call position. From there, the doors will slowly open up to you.
Thank you, that makes sense but I don’t think I want to even bother applying to this company anymore.

This is how most pharmacy jobs are. Most of them are filled before they're been posted, but they have to post it to make it look fair. It results in thousands of people wasting their time applying.

Reactions: 3 users
Not a new graduate. I am a PGY2. Will be done with residency in 3 months. This job matched my residency training so I applied. Thanks for the clarification though. I will not expect much next time from these online job postings.

PGY2?

This is how most pharmacy jobs are. Most of them are filled before they're been posted, but they have to post it to make it look fair. It results in thousands of people wasting their time applying.
Kaiser is worse. I applied for a job with them once (as an outsider) and a year and a half later got a call from HR apologizing for taking so long to get back to me and would I like to come in for an interview. By the time of that call, I had been working for them in a nearly identical position for a year. I still get emails every couple of months about a technician posting I might be interested in. If I could remember my long forgotten password, I'd log into my taleo account and see if I have any job offers they haven't told me about.

• Haha
Kaiser is worse. I applied for a job with them once (as an outsider) and a year and a half later got a call from HR apologizing for taking so long to get back to me and would I like to come in for an interview. By the time of that call, I had been working for them in a nearly identical position for a year. I still get emails every couple of months about a technician posting I might be interested in. If I could remember my long forgotten password, I'd log into my taleo account and see if I have any job offers they haven't told me about.
Thank you for saying this. I won’t waste my time applying to this company anymore. There are other options but I found theirs to be the best fit for me and closer to home so applied. But I had no idea they were this inept.

Do you think it's worth accepting a Pharmacy Supervisor at a busy 24 hours location? I've heard they can often work on their days off, etc.

Hospital pharmacist here, with over 37 years of experience (Pharm.D. and PGY-1). I don't specifically know about Kaiser, but the hiring process within large employers is all effed up.
First, it's completely taken away from the Pharmacy Dept. hiring manager. It's all HR, sometimes even an outside agency. You might be super qualified with a 10-page CV and PGY-2, and the pharmacy manager might never see your application.
They use certain metrics to disqualify you, never even reading your CV! These metrics use key phrases, dates, wording, and then you are out of contention.
Welcome to the new world order, welcome to the pharmacy profession.
I am so happy to be retiring in 5 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital pharmacist here, with over 37 years of experience (Pharm.D. and PGY-1). I don't specifically know about Kaiser, but the hiring process within large employers is all effed up.
First, it's completely taken away from the Pharmacy Dept. hiring manager. It's all HR, sometimes even an outside agency. You might be super qualified with a 10-page CV and PGY-2, and the pharmacy manager might never see your application.
They use certain metrics to disqualify you, never even reading your CV! These metrics use key phrases, dates, wording, and then you are out of contention.
Welcome to the new world order, welcome to the pharmacy profession.
I am so happy to be retiring in 5 years.
There is some reason HR weeds out applications - at least with us - mgmt sets up the weed out criteria. I mean, I don't want to look through 100+ applicants when 85 of them don't even come close to being an appropriate fit for us.

I would rather pay someone an HR salary vs a PharmD mgmt salary to open an application and see they worked at CVS for 10 years, and then just through it away. One time doesn't take much, but to do this 100 times for every job opening is boring and a waste of time.

Now if the metrics they use are faulty- then GIGO - then that is a problem.

Do you think it's worth accepting a Pharmacy Supervisor at a busy 24 hours location? I've heard they can often work on their days off, etc.
California or otherwise? California, at least you'll get paid. On second thought, I assume this is retail. That sounds miserable.

There is some reason HR weeds out applications - at least with us - mgmt sets up the weed out criteria. I mean, I don't want to look through 100+ applicants when 85 of them don't even come close to being an appropriate fit for us.

I would rather pay someone an HR salary vs a PharmD mgmt salary to open an application and see they worked at CVS for 10 years, and then just through it away. One time doesn't take much, but to do this 100 times for every job opening is boring and a waste of time.

Now if the metrics they use are faulty- then GIGO - then that is a problem.
Glad you have so much confidence in your HR. I am sure your HR is aware of all the intricacies of our profession, the subcategories of Hospital vs Retail jobs.
Here is an excellent example, my part time job, Encompass Rehab Hospital, The pharmacy director, and the full time pharmacist are right out of Walmart. This "Hospital" Pharmacy has NO clean room. They don't IV compound any drugs. Their only "association" with hospital pharmacy is me, working there every other week! I had to explain to them what Vancomycin Kinetics was all about. They actually have premixed ABX bags, BUT it takes 3-5 days to get Vanc Troughs back from outside lab. Same with INR. And yet, they are able to put extensive Hospital Pharmacy Experience on their CV's and your HR person would probably figure it out, I am sure.
How would you know exactly what metrics they use? For example a well known metric is the dates of your Undergrad and grad school graduation. Maybe your HR is unique as they will not use this to "weed" out older pharmacist. No, definitely not your HR.

Glad you have so much confidence in your HR. I am sure your HR is aware of all the intricacies of our profession, the subcategories of Hospital vs Retail jobs.
Here is an excellent example, my part time job, Encompass Rehab Hospital, The pharmacy director, and the full time pharmacist are right out of Walmart. This "Hospital" Pharmacy has NO clean room. They don't IV compound any drugs. Their only "association" with hospital pharmacy is me, working there every other week! I had to explain to them what Vancomycin Kinetics was all about. They actually have premixed ABX bags, BUT it takes 3-5 days to get Vanc Troughs back from outside lab. Same with INR. And yet, they are able to put extensive Hospital Pharmacy Experience on their CV's and your HR person would probably figure it out, I am sure.
How would you know exactly what metrics they use? For example a well known metric is the dates of your Undergrad and grad school graduation. Maybe your HR is unique as they will not use this to "weed" out older pharmacist. No, definitely not your HR.
we don't use date of graduation unless they are a new grad with no actual pharmacist work. We just hired someone who is 59 years old and we have a pretty young department - so I think it is good to have a mix of older experienced rph's and younger rphs who may be more up on some of the "newer" stuff

In your example - yours would get through HR since you worked in a "hospital" but then mgmt would decide whether or not to interview - I would do a quick screening phone call and determine if you have even a remote chance of having the skills we need.

we don't use date of graduation unless they are a new grad with no actual pharmacist work. We just hired someone who is 59 years old and we have a pretty young department - so I think it is good to have a mix of older experienced rph's and younger rphs who may be more up on some of the "newer" stuff

In your example - yours would get through HR since you worked in a "hospital" but then mgmt would decide whether or not to interview - I would do a quick screening phone call and determine if you have even a remote chance of having the skills we need.
Your HR must be that one Unicorn HR out there! They are 100% transparent, you know exactly what metrics they use. AND there is no age discrimination. They just don't use graduation date metrics. I have never experienced one like that, and I have been round the block a few times. Worked at 4 different hospital systems with 15-30,000 employees. This current hospital has now over 22 locations. The HR/pharmacy manager hired me at 62 yo - they have an excellent formula for number of years worked (in hospital) and pay rate. Me, with 37 years experience would get double a new grad. If I was HR/or manager, I wouldn't hire me!!!!! NO WAY!

Last edited:
California or otherwise? California, at least you'll get paid. On second thought, I assume this is retail. That sounds miserable.
No, it's Kaiser Outpatient. Just wondering if this position has overwhelming responsibilities.

Your HR must be that one Unicorn HR out there! They are 100% transparent, you know exactly what metrics they use. AND there is no age discrimination. They just don't use graduation date metrics. I have never experienced one like that, and I have been round the block a few times. Worked at 4 different hospital systems with 15-30,000 employees. This current hospital has now over 22 locations. The HR/pharmacy manager hired me at 62 yo - they have an excellent formula for number of years worked (in hospital) and pay rate. Me, with 37 years experience would get double a new grad. If I was HR/or manager, I wouldn't hire me!!!!! NO WAY!
well, I am sure they are far from perfect, and honestly, wouldn't blame them for not hiring a 62 year old, but we have interviewed several 50+ people recently,

I wonder who’s more likely to discriminate based on age, A pharmacy manager or a human resources associate.
to Discriminate (def.);

to recognize a distinction; differentiate:
"babies can discriminate between different facial expressions of emotion"

This word has such negative connotations, and it shouldn't. I want my employer to discriminate when choosing a qualified Pharmacist.
BUT, I would much rather the Pharmacy Manager than the 23yo airhead in HR do it. My point is, unfortunately, it's become the HR and their specific mandates and metrics.
Plus, I am not attacking anyone about not hiring us senior citizens. As I said, if I was Pharmacy Manager, I wouldn't hire me, no way.
I would not hire a 62 yo!
As I tell all my 30something colleagues, please keep on working, my SS checks will start coming in 5 years, and I will be spending your hard earned money.

As I tell all my 30something colleagues, please keep on working, my SS checks will start coming in 5 years, and I will be spending your hard earned money.
well - that is your money that you contributed to the account

well - that is your money that you contributed to the account
Not exactly: Current workers paying into Social Security fund the retirees currently receiving it. There's a surplus right now, which is expected to last another 14 years, so RxDoc's statement isn't totally true, but it's more or less true...and later in his retirement, it will be completely true, except unless something else is done to fund Social Security, his benefit will be reduced. After 2034 there will not be enough workers to pay full benefits to those retired. It's unlikely that actually happens. Most likely, we'll just increase payroll taxes to fund the shortfall. I take that back, most likely we'll just increase deficit spending to fund the shortfall. Alternatively, raising the retirement age would make the program less exepensive.

Not exactly: Current workers paying into Social Security fund the retirees currently receiving it. There's a surplus right now, which is expected to last another 14 years, so RxDoc's statement isn't totally true, but it's more or less true...and later in his retirement, it will be completely true, except unless something else is done to fund Social Security, his benefit will be reduced. After 2034 there will not be enough workers to pay full benefits to those retired. It's unlikely that actually happens. Most likely, we'll just increase payroll taxes to fund the shortfall. I take that back, most likely we'll just increase deficit spending to fund the shortfall. Alternatively, raising the retirement age would make the program less exepensive.

well getting into the schematics a little bit, but essentially he paid into it- he deserves to get him money out of it - I am well aware of how SS acutally works and the looming deficit.

well getting into the schematics a little bit, but essentially he paid into it- he deserves to get him money out of it - I am well aware of how SS acutally works and the looming deficit.
I have been paying in since 1986. SS is basically a Ponzi scheme. If any private entity would come to you and say, give me your money, I promise that 40-50 years from now, you will get it all back. And they know it's not true, they would be in jail. But the Govt. does it every day. They force this broken system on you at the point of a gun.

Reactions: 1 users