• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Kaiser vs. Hopkins

greymandude

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
And what is important to you? Prestige? Money? Location?

Hopkins has the name, and while I think Kaiser will build a great name for itself, it doesn't have it yet. I'm committed to Kaiser and my concerns over other choices were mostly prestige and what connections I would have at those institutions. Money, lifestyle, location were all in favor of Kaiser. Prestige, low academic risk, and networking benefits were not in favor of Kaiser compared to a place like Hopkins.

If you want to go into academia or neurosurgery, Hopkins can open big doors in both those areas because of resources and connections. Kaiser, on the other hand has immense, and very impressive, resources to throw at its students, just maybe not comparable to Hopkins Neuro.

If you're in the groupme, I recommend asking some specific questions of the already committed students and see their train of thought. Speaking with Dean Schuster is also really fantastic, I'm sure he'll happily make time for you.

About the Ads

altblue

7+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2014
  1. Medical Student
$200k in loans isn't terrible, and you can reasonably pay it off even in lower-paying specialties - so long as you're strategic with your lifestyle for a bit after residency. With P/F step on the horizon, I'd be hard-pressed to pass on Hopkins versus a new school, even if I wasn't interested in anything competitive yet.

Reactions: 1 users

Pharma1811

Oct 23, 2019
  1. Pharmacist
$200k in loans isn't terrible, and you can reasonably pay it off even in lower-paying specialties - so long as you're strategic with your lifestyle for a bit after residency. With P/F step on the horizon, I'd be hard-pressed to pass on Hopkins versus a new school, even if I wasn't interested in anything competitive yet.

Respectfully disagree. Graduating with 200k+ in loans is not something to brush off as lightly as you seem to be. It is a remarkable amount of money, and as much as JHU has the name, I sincerely doubt kaiser is going to be closing that many doors for the OP with how established their system already is. I want to take a moment to remind students on here that financial debt is a big deal and being a physician doesn't automatically negate any potential problems that arise from it. Any chance you have to not go down the aforementioned path is generally the better path, especially when 200k is involved.

Just my opinion. Please think long and hard about this @ OP

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.