Kaplan 2005 MCAT course books for SALE (new, complete set)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have to drop my MCAT prep class, so I'm selling the Kaplan 2005 MCAT course materials (complete set) for the April MCAT. This package is brand new, and comes with:

-3 Kaplan MCAT Review notes books (biological sciences, physical sciences, and verbal reasoning/writing sample)
-flashcards (physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology). Hundreds of great practice questions to carry around with you.
-The MCAT lesson book. This book contains all the class notes and everything that they teach you in the class
-The MCAT High Yield Problem Solving Guide. This book gives you great pointers on how to stay one step ahead of the game by knowing how to tackle the style of problems that are on the MCAT. It gives specific strategies for looking at and solving the problems.
-A formula folder. This is new to the MCAT 2005 class. This has every formula you need to know for the MCAT
-"The inside scoop on medical school admissions workbook"

I'm selling it for $325, with shipping included. If you're interested, PM me.
(I've attached a picture if you want to see what the materials look like)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• kaplan.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 253
Suey said:
Hi guys, I have to drop my MCAT prep class, so I'm selling the Kaplan 2005 MCAT course materials (complete set) for the April MCAT. This package is brand new, and comes with:

-3 Kaplan MCAT Review notes books (biological sciences, physical sciences, and verbal reasoning/writing sample)
-flashcards (physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology). Hundreds of great practice questions to carry around with you.
-The MCAT lesson book. This book contains all the class notes and everything that they teach you in the class
-The MCAT High Yield Problem Solving Guide. This book gives you great pointers on how to stay one step ahead of the game by knowing how to tackle the style of problems that are on the MCAT. It gives specific strategies for looking at and solving the problems.
-A formula folder. This is new to the MCAT 2005 class. This has every formula you need to know for the MCAT
-"The inside scoop on medical school admissions workbook"

I'm selling it for $325, with shipping included. If you're interested, PM me.
(I've attached a picture if you want to see what the materials look like)

Hi Suey,

You are not allowed to sell these items, as they are the property of Kaplan. Instead, you should talk to your center manager about returning everything and hopefully getting a refund.

QofQuimica said:
Hi Suey,

You are not allowed to sell these items, as they are the property of Kaplan. Instead, you should talk to your center manager about returning everything and hopefully getting a refund.

Do you work for Kaplan? The Kaplan policy to which you are referring is another reminder that at the end of the day, what matters MOST to Kaplan are its shareholders. It doesn't matter how well you do on the MCAT - as long as Kaplan gets paid, that's all they care about.

This is one of the many reasons why Kaplan routinely gets such a bad rap on these boards....

harpua said:
Do you work for Kaplan? The Kaplan policy to which you are referring is another reminder that at the end of the day, what matters MOST to Kaplan are its shareholders. It doesn't matter how well you do on the MCAT - as long as Kaplan gets paid, that's all they care about.

This is one of the many reasons why Kaplan routinely gets such a bad rap on these boards....

Yes, I do work for Kaplan. And I don't agree with you about Kaplan not caring about how well its students do on the exam. But that all is irrelevant to my point, which is that the course books are not the property of the student. They belong to Kaplan. Each student, when signing up for the course, signs a paper agreeing to this policy. If you want to argue that review courses like Kaplan's are overpriced, far be it from me to tell you you're wrong. Each person makes the decision about the worth of the course versus its cost for himself. If you don't like Kaplan's rules, or you don't think that Kaplan gives you your money's worth, there is a very simple solution: don't sign the paper or take the course. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to sign up for Kaplan or other courses. You're free to take a different course or study for the MCAT on your own. However, once you do sign that paper, you have agreed to abide by Kaplan's policies, and you should honor your word.

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
Yes, I do work for Kaplan. And I don't agree with you about Kaplan not caring about how well its students do on the exam. But that all is irrelevant to my point, which is that the course books are not the property of the student. They belong to Kaplan. Each student, when signing up for the course, signs a paper agreeing to this policy. If you want to argue that review courses like Kaplan's are overpriced, far be it from me to tell you you're wrong. Each person makes the decision about the worth of the course versus its cost for himself. If you don't like Kaplan's rules, or you don't think that Kaplan gives you your money's worth, there is a very simple solution: don't sign the paper or take the course. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to sign up for Kaplan or other courses. You're free to take a different course or study for the MCAT on your own. However, once you do sign that paper, you have agreed to abide by Kaplan's policies, and you should honor your word.
They're scumbags for doing this... and all they care about is the shareholders. Otherwise, they'd make it clear when they make their student's (victims in this scenario) sign the paper. I can bet my house that it's in the little fine print in MS Word 1.5 font... and then they go after their "customer" who is trying to resell the material they felt they paid for when they coughed up the $1500 - $2000... that's scum business if you ask me. I would never invest a penny nor recommend Kaplan to anybody for that 1 reason.

QofQuimica said:
Yes, I do work for Kaplan. And I don't agree with you about Kaplan not caring about how well its students do on the exam. But that all is irrelevant to my point, which is that the course books are not the property of the student. They belong to Kaplan. .

Any company that would instruct employees to survey SDN, ebay, craigslist, and various other electronic forums to look for former students selling their course materials (for which they paid thousands of dollars) shows that they're only in business to make money. That at the end of the day, it's all about how much the Washington Post (Kaplan's parent company) earns per share. How much did the Washington Post make last quarter? $85 million bucks? Knowing people who worked for Kaplan, I know it is all about enrollment. It is how many paying bodies you can cram into a classroom. Is a student having trouble? Upsell them on tutoring! Don't give them more than 10 minutes of help out of classs - sell them on tutoring! Is that a company that cares about its students?

QofQuimica - how many poor pre-meds have you busted... for the horrible crime of trying to help their fellow pre-meds out by offering them a bargain? Is that such a crime? Perhaps Albert Chen or Amjed Mustafa should spend a little more time improving the course material as opposed to spending all of their free time trying to bust people.

It is for this reason - and so many others - that so many former Kaplan students emerge from the class and say "I just wasted $1500. Don't EVER take Kaplan"

harpua said:
Any company that would instruct employees to survey SDN, ebay, craigslist, and various other electronic forums to look for former students selling their course materials (for which they paid thousands of dollars) shows that they're only in business to make money. That at the end of the day, it's all about how much the Washington Post (Kaplan's parent company) earns per share. How much did the Washington Post make last quarter? $85 million bucks? Knowing people who worked for Kaplan, I know it is all about enrollment. It is how many paying bodies you can cram into a classroom. Is a student having trouble? Upsell them on tutoring! Don't give them more than 10 minutes of help out of classs - sell them on tutoring! Is that a company that cares about its students?

QofQuimica - how many poor pre-meds have you busted... for the horrible crime of trying to help their fellow pre-meds out by offering them a bargain? Is that such a crime? Perhaps Albert Chen or Amjed Mustafa should spend a little more time improving the course material as opposed to spending all of their free time trying to bust people.

It is for this reason - and so many others - that so many former Kaplan students emerge from the class and say "I just wasted $1500. Don't EVER take Kaplan"
::: applauds even though she is scared the kaplan po-pos will come for her for supporting you :::

harpua said:

Your assumptions about me are ridiculous and erroneous to the point of making me laugh out loud. I don't know anything about you or your experience with the company, but it isn't the universal experience. It sure isn't mine!

First of all, Kaplan did not "instruct" me to do anything with this site, though your post does conjure up quite humorous images of me and my coworkers as little mindless minions who are brainwashed zombies under the control of Kaplan. :rolleyes: Actually, I am a pre-med student myself, and I would like to apply to medical school for 2006, and that is why I am on this site. I happen to teach for Kaplan part-time, which is how I know about the deal with the books.

Next, one or two Kaplan people whom you know may only care about enrollment and shareholders (which I can't say anything about, since I don't know you or them), but I can guarantee you that *I* don't make an extra red cent for more students enrolling in my classes. I get paid the same whether there is one student or 50 students in the class. And I spend plenty of my own time helping students with questions, grading their essays, etc. I also have advised people not to pay for tutoring if they ask me what I think and, in my opinion, it would not have helped them significantly. (This is true in most cases, BTW. I agree with you that the tutoring is not worth the money for most students.)

Last question: I haven't "busted" anyone. See first point. I do realize, as superdo suggested, that many students may not have read the "fine print" on their enrollment forms, and I am letting these students know what the fine print says, on the perhaps mistaken assumption that most people are basically honest and believe in keeping their word and doing the right thing. The moral of this story isn't that Kaplan's policy is right or wrong; again, this is a free country, and if every person agreed with you that Kaplan was so horrible, the company would quickly go out of business. So obviously there is a different issue, and that issue is that you should ALWAYS thoroughly read any paper before you sign it. If you don't agree to the terms, don't sign.

ur posts are way too log
try this :

YOU BAD I EAT YOU NOW
I NOT BE MINION OF BIG MAN
SORRY YOU NO GET HAPPY MCAT FOR BIG DINERO

honestly i think if the op wants to run the gamut let him or her
no reason to get all self-appointed cop
like you told him/her so ur job is done..now hush up and lets watch this mock ebay in peace!