Kaplan Behavioral Science vs. Khan Academy 300 pg doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering whether you think kaplan's behavioral science or KA's 300 pg doc is more effective for studying for the P/S section, and why?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good resources for different reasons.

The Kaplan BS book has excellent descriptions and examples that KA does not necessarily provide in such a concise manner. That being said, KA has a greater breadth that it will expose you to. With the P/S section, your baseline has to be knowing all of the terms and concepts covered in those resources. However, unlike previous iterations of the MCAT circa 2015-2017, the exam has shifted away from being about memorization to being about reasoning. IMO, the P/S section is similar to CARS but with a heavy content focus. Given the high raw scores in the P/S section, to earn a top score you really have to be on your game. An additional 1 or 2 questions correct can mean the difference between an additional point in your scaled score.

My advice would be to use both. The Kaplan book is pretty short. I used to read one chapter a day before bed and ended up reading the book about 4 times. I used to read the KA text during study sessions and read through it several times.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally read through the Kaplan books so I could read content, and then do practice problems to see how well I knew the information. After finishing with Kaplan, I used the KA 100 page compilation to find anything that I or Kaplan might have missed. I wouldn't actually recommend the 300 page document if you do it like this, since you'll already have learned most of the information.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

When in doubt, just use both. They both have their pros and cons, but I personally only used Kaplan.

I used the 300 page doc and never touched Kaplan. I was happy with my score, so I can say that plan works. But as everyone has alluded to, doing one thing doesn't make the other one wrong.