Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Kaplan course vs. studying on your own

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yams, Sep 17, 2002.

1. yams

yams Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, I was wondering if anyone suggests taking the kaplan course to study for the DAT. Is it worth the money and time instead of just buying a few books and cds and studying on your own? I was also wonder how often the courses are given and how long the course is (i.e. one month, 6 weeks, etc.)?

Hopefully someone can answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey,

I didn't take the Kaplan course but I got all the practice tests from a friend who took the course. I also bought the Kaplan review book which you can easily buy from any book store. That worked for me :) . Good luck to u

~Qoo

4. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I just took my DAT's and I have a brand new kaplan review book and the lesson book (with good detailed notes I took from the lectures. I also can get copies of the Subject tests (everything that kaplan has). Contact me if you want them, I need to get this stuff out.

DesiDentist

PS: The kaplan course is too expensive, it is good to a certain degree but if you have all the materials they are using, then it is a waste of time.

5. Evaglo

Evaglo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took the Kaplan class over the summer. I would say that Kaplan class prepared me well for the actual DAT. I am sure you can get by without taking the class. It just that taking the class make you study on time and keep you going. Plus they give you some tips on perceptuals and other subjects. Buying the Kaplan books will also help. I had the class twice a week for 8 weeks. Each class period lasted about 2 to 3 hours depending on the subject. Also, there are practice tests that you can do before or after the class. I would say take the class if you are going to get distracted easily on your own, have time, and money. Or, you can buy the Kaplan book, topscore CD, and study on your own. Either way, you will be okay. Good luck!:)

6. sjdent

sjdent Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Kaplan, the class, is great if you have $$ to spare. I didn't take it, and you can buy many of the same materials. It's only helpful if you really apply yourself, which you can mostly do on your own time, though.

It IS helpful in that you have tons of practice tests at your disposal. Maybe worth it for you.

Also, they DO give you some helpful tips and tricks for studying certain sections.

People can end up doing crappy if they've taken the class....and can just as well do awesome w/o taking it.