Kaplan DAT book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, after talking to a few people it seems like taking a prep course is definitely worth it so I plan on doing that come this spring to take the DAT in June or so. Having said that I think it could be beneficial to get a head start looking at the material so I wanted to buy a DAT prep book. Does anyone know if the "Kaplan DAT" prep books are the same ones used in the course? If so I'd prefer to buy that so I don't end up buying 2 different books.

For example this http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-DAT-Dental-Admission-Test/dp/1607146592 or is the course a separate thing altogether? It seems like this is the newest edition as of now but I'm not sure how often new editions are published.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The book you use in the classroom is not the same as the one you can buy online. I bought the one online and I've seen other people's Kaplan books that they got from the classroom. I believe the one in the class room is more tailored to the class room setting but the passages are nearly identical. The online book also do not contain practice questions at the end of each chapter.

The book you use in the classroom is not the same as the one you can buy online. I bought the one online and I've seen other people's Kaplan books that they got from the classroom. I believe the one in the class room is more tailored to the class room setting but the passages are nearly identical. The online book also do not contain practice questions at the end of each chapter.

Hm wow I would have expected the online book to be more likely to have practice questions if anything. Seems much less useful without it. There are plenty of practice tests though right? Would you recommend getting the book in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm wow I would have expected the online book to be more likely to have practice questions if anything. Seems much less useful without it. There are plenty of practice tests though right? Would you recommend getting the book in general?

There is actually only one practice test in the book and one online. I would not recommend getting the book. I learned much more ochem and genchem from chad's videos and for bio I used the Cliff's Ap biology book that was loaded with practice questions after each chapter for the fraction of the cost of the Kaplan blue book. I barely used the blue book and focused a lot more on the above mentioned materials as well as Crack Dat Pat and DAT destroyer.

There is actually only one practice test in the book and one online. I would not recommend getting the book. I learned much more ochem and genchem from chad's videos and for bio I used the Cliff's Ap biology book that was loaded with practice questions after each chapter for the fraction of the cost of the Kaplan blue book. I barely used the blue book and focused a lot more on the above mentioned materials as well as Crack Dat Pat and DAT destroyer.

I have Cliff's (and another) AP bio book and heard of the DAT destroyer but not the other ones. I'll google Crack Dat Pat and DAT destroyer but do you have any links to "chad's videos"?

So what do people do who aren't taking a prep course? If anything I would think Kaplan and Princeton Review prep books would be the main sources.

I have Cliff's (and another) AP bio book and heard of the DAT destroyer but not the other ones. I'll google Crack Dat Pat and DAT destroyer but do you have any links to "chad's videos"?

So what do people do who aren't taking a prep course? If anything I would think Kaplan and Princeton Review prep books would be the main sources.

You should probably post these questions on the DAT forums instead of the Pre-dental forums. You would get a lot more answers there. http://www.***********.com/videos.php?pagename=DAT

I don't know what people do who don't take the prep course. You should check out DentalWorks study plan that is a sticky in the DAT section of SDN. I personally read through the Kaplan book once and barely glossed over OChem. I'm the kind of guy who has to see it and hear it to learn Ochem. Learning from the book was making me fall asleep and was not stimulating enough. I pretty much just used all the stuff that I stated above to study and spent a dedicated month and a half to do it. I normally studied during the weekdays and spent time with friends on the weekends right up until the week before where I shifted into high gear and studied straight through the weekend.

You should probably post these questions on the DAT forums instead of the Pre-dental forums. You would get a lot more answers there. http://www.***********.com/videos.php?pagename=DAT

I don't know what people do who don't take the prep course. You should check out DentalWorks study plan that is a sticky in the DAT section of SDN. I personally read through the Kaplan book once and barely glossed over OChem. I'm the kind of guy who has to see it and hear it to learn Ochem. Learning from the book was making me fall asleep and was not stimulating enough. I pretty much just used all the stuff that I stated above to study and spent a dedicated month and a half to do it. I normally studied during the weekdays and spent time with friends on the weekends right up until the week before where I shifted into high gear and studied straight through the weekend.

Hm ok thanks for the heads up, I didn't even see that section.

I just sent you a PM by the way

you seem pretty savvy, since you mentioned google and cracking pats or something. try the same with chad's videos..you might be surprised at the first result!!1