Kaplan DAT/OAT Tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012Predent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm undergoing the Kaplan interview process right now to become a DAT teacher; does anybody know what the pay is throughout the course?

My interviewer said they start at 25/hr to teach, but I'm assuming that they pay less for lesson preparation/training. If anybody has data on what they pay for those, as well as how much prep they allow per 3hr lesson, I'd be very appreciative to hear what you all know.

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say is that at $25 an hour, your starting pay would be higher than probably 90% of the teachers in our country.

All I can say is that at $25 an hour, your starting pay would be higher than probably 90% of the teachers in our country.

Teachers meaning Kaplan teachers or K-12 teachers? If you mean K-12, you are way off. You would actually be making more than probably 5% of the teachers in our country.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through it last year. Minimum wage for prep time. Then come the big bucks.

The pay is good when you're TEACHING. However, when your preparing for lessons or training (you need to train and PASS training before you can get a class) the pay is minimum wage.

I would say its definitely worth it if you plan on tutoring for a while. That way, towards the end, you don't have to really prepare for lessons anymore and can just teach multiple courses at the same time and thus really rack in some serious dough. However, Kaplan doesn't allow you to teach multiple courses until after you successfully completed your first one. So if you take that into consideration, as well as the 5 week training period, it might not pay to work there for, say, just one summer or something.

The information you're looking for should be in the materials they gave you before starting training. I think the pdf is called Faculty Wage Reporting or something like that. Technically, the time allowed for preparation is unlimited, but they recommend that for your first class, you spend about 1.5-2 hrs of prep/ hour of class time. You also get paid minimum wage for prepping during training as well for the training sessions themselves.